Poseur

New electric bike from NZ

This is actually a cool looking design, pretty heavy but I like how it looks.
    http://www.yikebike.com/site/gallery...covery-channel
    I like cats, I just can't finish a whole one by myself.

Cat 6 rider
    Quote Originally Posted by GerryR
    This is actually a cool looking design, pretty heavy but I like how it looks.
    http://www.yikebike.com/site/gallery...covery-channel
    I knew the Yike Bike reminded me of something with that under seat steering- the Sinclair C5! At least the C5 could be pedaled if it ran out of battery power, which begs the question, if it doesn't have pedals is it really a bike?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    To the troll mobile, away...

RoadBikeReview Member
    this is more comparable to Segway than a bicycle. but very smart design nonetheless.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LinuxDude
    this is more comparable to Segway than a bicycle. but very smart design nonetheless.
    True, but in many ways MUCH better design than Seqway
    -simpler
    -cheaper
    -very portable and storable -- the fold design is really ingenious, and it weighs under 10kg (22 pounds) with battery.

I'm initially very impressed. It's supposed to go on sale in Western Europe and N.Z. later this year. I hope it does well.

Initial price is 3,500 Euros (about $4600 - roughly 20% less than the cheapest Segway), but hopefully it will come down with mass production if it takes off

Did they license the name from the estate of Dr. Seuss?

I am a Yike
    This is my Bike
    I like to ride my black YikeBike.
    Sometimes I like to take a hike,
    but when I'm tired I take YikeBike

:-)

fu
    It's way too expensive to ever take off on a mass scale. If it was $500, it would be a different story.
    On top of that it doesn't look safe. Keeping your arms behind your back doesn't feel natural and it slows your reaction time if you were to fall for whatever reason. Sorry but I don't see this thing happening.
    I like the way it folds though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008
    It looks too topheavy like a penny farthing. What killed the penny farthing was riders falling forward when trying to stop. This is what spawned the "safety bike" most of us ride today.

That said, the rider doesn't have handlebars in front of them so they can hop off in a fast stop. I predict some pretty serious face plants though by people with slow reflexes and a panic death-grip on the bars.

I hope it succeeds as it's a really cool and novel design. Hopefully the name doesn't turn out to be cruel irony.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tweezak
    It looks too topheavy like a penny farthing. What killed the penny farthing was riders falling forward when trying to stop. This is what spawned the "safety bike" most of us ride today.

That said, the rider doesn't have handlebars in front of them so they can hop off in a fast stop. I predict some pretty serious face plants though by people with slow reflexes and a panic death-grip on the bars.

I hope it succeeds as it's a really cool and novel design. Hopefully the name doesn't turn out to be cruel irony.
    If you read the guy's website, the fall-forward issue seems to have been addressed pretty well. Not only are there no handlebars in front, the feet are unobstructed, so the natural reflex of stepping forward and taking a running step or two should deal with the great majority of forward bailouts. This is radically different from the high-wheelers in that respect. On those, the only way a rider could end up standing after a forward fall was to somehow get the legs around or over the handlebar, a tricky proposition. On long downhill coasts riders used to put their legs over the top of the bar to have a chance at a running bailout.

He calls the general design the "mini-farthing". This is the first production version, but there are plans for pedal versions, electric-assist pedaled, and low-end versions, made of injection molded plastics, to be much cheaper (obviously heavier, too) than this carbon-fiber version.

It may have a future. To me, the key innovation is the small size and very clever folding design, which could make it practical for mulit-modal transportation. The biggest problem with a Segway is you can't pick it up and carry it on the bus.