RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2017

Question New to Forum, Bianchi year and model question

Hi, I am a long time cyclist, I can't remember a time when I wasn't on a bike. I never owned anything but entry level Raleigh's and then in the late 90's a guy I met in a bar told me he had two bikes in his yard his wife wanted thrown out. Both were Bianchi's, one was set up for triathlon and the other had a huge frame.

I rode the first for the last twenty years with hardly any maintenance or tlc I ashamed to say. But I had a little extra cash lately and discovered Ebay and finally got the Campagnolo vintage components I could never afford. So a lot of the parts have been swapped out from the original Shimano 600 Arabesque groupset.

Hope I'm not being too long winded but I wondered if anyone can tell me the year and model or a little about my bike. I did some research and think it might be a Canadian Limited because of the chrome fork? Another forum hinted at that. Thanks in advance!New to Forum, Bianchi year and model question-20171217_055947.jpgNew to Forum, Bianchi year and model question-20171216_143118-crop.jpgNew to Forum, Bianchi year and model question-img_0646.jpgNew to Forum, Bianchi year and model question-img_0633.jpg

Banned forever.....or not
    What does the tube set sticker say (at the top of the seat tube)??
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2017
    Unfortunately it looks like the bike shop decided that was a good place to put their
    sticker. Maybe I'll have a look underneath, mineral oil might take it off?

RoadBikeReview Member
    If the Shimano components are original, they have a date code thusly Shimano date codes
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikelona View Post
    Unfortunately it looks like the bike shop decided that was a good place to put their
    sticker. Maybe I'll have a look underneath, mineral oil might take it off?
    If those Campy brakes are missing the barrel adjusters you'll need to hunt them down. Mineral oil is an oil, not a solvent. Might help w/ the sticker but it would probably take ages.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    I can offer advice on the Campy components if you'd like.

The brakes are mid-'90's and missing the adjusters as CX noted.

That a much older RD - 'mid-80's at the latest, and not really compatible with the 9-speed cassette. And talking of cassettes, that's not going to fit on that rear wheel. So, given the age and use of the bike, I'm not sure it's worth it.

I used to ride in the winter and it's hard on lower headset bearings as all that salty slush gets thrown in there. Worth a look.
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening

One.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2017
    Thanks for the reply. I have the adjusters just not in the pic. I have rode this bike in the winters of Ontario for 20 years now and had to replace the crank bearings last month they were shot, so you are right I should look at the headset too.

I have some vintage Campagnolo wheels ordered with a racing cassette that the Nuovo Record can handle. It has 1971 patent stamped. I will use that for summer, winter I have a SRAM 8 speed cassette on it now with Shimano RD that can handle the 11-32t. Comes in handy in the ice and snow. I had to widen the rear frame to get the wheel in.
    I would never sell it but the prices I've seen for vintage bikes made me curious as to the model to see it's worth.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikelona View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I have the adjusters just not in the pic. I have rode this bike in the winters of Ontario for 20 years now and had to replace the crank bearings last month they were shot, so you are right I should look at the headset too.

I have some vintage Campagnolo wheels ordered with a racing cassette that the Nuovo Record can handle. It has 1971 patent stamped. I will use that for summer, winter I have a SRAM 8 speed cassette on it now with Shimano RD that can handle the 11-32t. Comes in handy in the ice and snow. I had to widen the rear frame to get the wheel in.
    I would never sell it but the prices I've seen for vintage bikes made me curious as to the model to see it's worth.
    Those brake pads/holders are on backwards, you should swap them left to right or you'll be braking w/ no pads soon. Highly likely you installed the front brake on the back of the bike as the other brake in your photo above would be correct for the rear.

ETA: After looking at your photo again I might be wrong, thought I saw the closed end of the pad holder, but it's not a great photo...or my eyes suck.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2017
    LOL, yeah you guys are sharp! I just put them on for fit to see if they were long enough, I have to drill out the holes for the bolts. Only the front bolt would was long enough to go through with the old spacers. I am a little anxious about drilling it out though, don't know if there is enough metal left. I'm not afraid about the fork though that will have enough.

RoadBikeReview Member
    CX is right again. I missed that. It looks like you just put it there for the photo and it's not tightened. Nevertheless the pad holders are backwards.

And when Campy says "may lead to serious injury or death", which is their standard warning - in this case is real.

One.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2017
    Thanks, by those codes I have GL on the RD. So the groupset is from Dec 1982.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2017
    Yeah thanks again for your concern, but I have experience enough to get me through. I knew they were backwards, drilled them out now and installed properly, really love the results.

Woah..that warning though(And when Campy says "may lead to serious injury or death", which is their standard warning - in this case is real.) a little dire, good for some I suppose, but I've made it to 58 years young biking without any serious mishaps with only my own maintenance. Knocks on wood

I believe I was looking for a honest appraisal, not really advice on fixing although I didn't take offence. All help is appreciated.