RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013

New to forum and cycling Hi!

Hi fellow cyclists (not sure that I can 100% say that yet), I have always been a physically active and a fit person. However, after coming off of active duty military for 4 years, I have led a sedentary lifestyle with a desk job. I have always loved riding bicycles as a kid and always envied those with a road bike speeding down or just cruising down trails with ease.
    With a fairly moderate entry budget in mind, I decided to go do research and test ride bikes for about a month learning how to build a bike, learning componentry as well as the differences in frames (i.e carbon, aluminum, racing geometry, endurance...)
    So after having saved money for about a month, I decided to splurge on an entry level Specialized Roubaix as well as a helmet and shoes. Although I have never been a fan of tight shorts, after a week of riding and a constant throbbing pain in the butt, I will get my shorts this weekend.
    My fitness level is probably the lowest it has been in my whole life and I hope that this will be a hobby as well as a lifestyle changing experience for me.

Since the forum bot recommended that I post my first post in the general cycling discussion. Here it goes,

Hi

RoadBikeReview Member
    Welcome to the forum, welcome to the sport, good choice on the bike, and here's hoping (and fully expecting) that you'll meet your fitness goals. We're all biased, of course, but everybody here will tell you this is the best sport for guys in your life phase -- formerly active guys who've let the fitness slip a little.

And you'll get used to the lycra in no time ;-)
    Ubuntu: I am what I am because of who we all are.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Welcome and thanks for your service!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Welcome to the forum, PtrLee!

Happy trails to ya!

I'm slow
    Welcome and congrats on the new ride!

Sounds like you did your homework on the bike and ended up with one you're very happy with. I would suggest you do the same reasearch before heading out to buy the shorts. Once I tried my first pair of bibs, I never looked back! I wish I had started with bibs, it would have saved me a lot of time and money trying different options in shorts only to replace with bibs once I found how well they worked for me.

Good luck with the riding!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    First of all, thank you for your military service!! I am new to this sport too and purchased cycling shorts. I wish I had gone with the bib style shorts. Your should really consider them. I am coming from years of mountain bikes and baggy style shorts. I too feel weird in tight shorts but they sure make riding comfortable.