RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008

New helmet thoughts

I am using a Giro Atmos that was manufactured in 2010. Maybe it is about time for a new one. That, and the retention keeps hitting my sunglasses and the straps just will not lay flat.

So I was looking at:

Smith Network
    Smith Route
    Smith Portal
    POC Octal
    Kask Mojito
    Giro Savant
    Giro Foray

Some of the reviews of these mention lesser ventilation. I am okay with lesser vent compared to current helmets, so long as it isn't less (or near that) of my current 2010 Giro Atmos. Can anyone comment on their experiences with any of these models? Any other models to look at? Looking to keep price to 150 or less (but if a cheaper helmet is good, I see no reason to waste money going more).
    Last edited by lightning33; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:42 PM. Reason: Added question about other models

Neophyte
    I am curious about the Oakley helmets (ARO3 and ARO5) although I haven't gotten a chance to see one in person yet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    If looking at a broad line up like that I'd definitely be hitting shops to try them on for a while. I'd try to narrow the list to start focussing on something like weight, noise level, aesthetics (there's one on your list I think is quite fugly)

Depends on how long your rides are I suppose but I've found some just don't fit me well and while I can feel the off fit initially they don't start really bugging me until after a few hours. More round vs oblong seems to be the big difference, with my preference being oblong.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    An 8 year old helmet is probably at the end of its useful life.

My advice would be to not buy any helmet without trying it on. Heads are shaped different and what is comfortable for me may not be comfortable for you.

I have found the Cannondale helmets fit me well. And you really don't need to spend $150 on a helmet, but if you find one in that range that fits like a glove, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lightning33 View Post
    I am using a Giro Atmos that was manufactured in 2010. Maybe it is about time for a new one. That, and the retention keeps hitting my sunglasses and the straps just will not lay flat.

So I was looking at:

Smith Network
    Smith Route
    Smith Portal
    POC Octal
    Kask Mojito
    Giro Savant
    Giro Foray

Some of the reviews of these mention lesser ventilation. I am okay with lesser vent compared to current helmets, so long as it isn't less (or near that) of my current 2010 Giro Atmos. Can anyone comment on their experiences with any of these models? Any other models to look at? Looking to keep price to 150 or less (but if a cheaper helmet is good, I see no reason to waste money going more).
    I just bought a new Giro Savant 2 weeks ago to replace my Bell Sweep. I wanted to get a MIPS helmet. After using it and looking it over more carefully I can see that the MIPS liner does restrict airflow somewhat through the helmet. I may just be this particular helmet but if you get a MIPS helmet look over how the liner allows air to get by. I like the fit of the helmet and most any good helmet these days has a excellent retention system

banned
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    I just bought a new Giro Savant 2 weeks ago to replace my Bell Sweep. I wanted to get a MIPS helmet. After using it and looking it over more carefully I can see that the MIPS liner does restrict airflow somewhat through the helmet. I may just be this particular helmet but if you get a MIPS helmet look over how the liner allows air to get by. I like the fit of the helmet and most any good helmet these days has a excellent retention system
    I bought the same helmet...a Giro Savant a few months back but deliberately without MIPS because I didn't want any compromise to air flow or comfort. I also don't believe MIPS to be transcendent in improvement to reducing head loading in different crash scenarios...may help some types of head impact however.

I too enjoy the helmet. Some believe Giro helmets are best targeted to round head shapes but I have a long oval head shape and it fits me quite well. Agree, great retention system. Lightweight. Conventionally shaped and traditionally attractive. Great venting which helps in sweltering temps. Fairly priced as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    You really need to try them on. Smith Helmets, for example, feel like a torture device on me but that should mean nothing to you.

If ventilation and ugly are top priorities then CatLike Mixino tops. I thought my old helmet was fine ventilation wise but once I got one of those it made a big difference. It's a duel edge sword though, that incredible ventilation is not welcome when it gets cold.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Got a "Large" head? Giro Synthes pop up on Amazon and Prime a bit now:

https://www.amazon.com/Giro-Synthe-H...70_&dpSrc=srch

https://www.amazon.com/Giro-Synthe-H...ds=Giro+Synthe
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    I just ditched a 2012 Giro Aeon for a POC Octal. I tried the S-Works but it didn't feel right and the finish/fit wasn't impressive. The Octal fits great, styling is love it or hate it, I haven't noticed a drop off in ventilation from the Aeon (Giro's top of line model) and like the location and functionality and placement of sweat pads.

The S-Works prevail II was really disappointing. I wanted to like it, but the fit was off and the feel of plastics and colors/moulding for the price were subpar.

It's going to sound silly but I smile every time I take my POC off the shelf and click it closed.
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

LOLOLOL

RoadBikeReview Member
    it's a hunk of foam on your head, they're all pretty much the same thing. just comes down to how you feel with it on

for me, I hate all helmets and yearn for the days when no one wore helmets.

but then I often use a Sena helmet with bluetooth and speakers in it. it does not fit well at all but it is the best helmet by far for me, for longer rides.

I kinda like that fancy Kask helmet with closeable vents because I have to ride in rain and cold here in winter. But $250 is way too much, like $200 too much given no speakers
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2018
    I have worn a Kask Mojito since July 2017. It fits fairly well, but leaves a lot of my forehead exposed.

I bought a new bike last month and wanted a helmet to match it's colors (it's all about looks, right? ). First one I tried was the Bontrager Velocis MIPS helmet. LBS had it marked down from $199 to $159. It felt *just right* on my head, but once I got it home the straps just didn't feel good at all. The online reviews even talk about the extra-long straps, and I couldn't get them to fit the side of my head without twisting, so I took it back.

Did a LOT of online research and ended up buying a 2018 Specialized Prevail II last week. They usually sell for $200-$225 online, but my LBS sold it to me for $150. I've ridden with it 3 times now for 125 miles and so far I love it! Best part is - I don't notice it or think about it. Straps are perfect, the helmet has great ventilation and adjusts very easily.

Online reviews are pretty much 5 star, fwiw.

Good luck!

Gary

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Okay, try them on for fit before buying. But how do i compare airflow/ventilation to what i currently have? Is it safe to think ANY helmet will be better than my current/2010 helmet?

Also liking the Scott ARX (on paper)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lightning33 View Post

So I was looking at:

Smith Network
    Smith Route
    Smith Portal
    POC Octal
    Kask Mojito
    Giro Savant
    Giro Foray

Some of the reviews of thes e mention lesser ventilation. I am okay with lesser vent compared to current helmets, so long as it isn't less (or near that) of my current 2010 Giro Atmos. Can anyone comment on their experiences with any of these models? Any other models to look at? Looking to keep price to 150 or less (but if a cheaper helmet is good, I see no reason to waste money going more).
    I’m in the exact scenario. I ended up picking up an Aeon for $135 over the weekend Labor Day sales. Curious why it’s not on your list given the ventilation concerns?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2018
    Ive just recently upgraded to a Mojito. I picked it based on going to a bunch of LBS and trying on helmets.

I also got it for a pretty good closeout deal ~120.00 usd.

It looked better than the savant and it fits my head better. It sits reallty high above your ears and shows more forehead. But this seems to keep my head cooler as less of those areas are covered. It also doesnt make your head look like a msrshmallow.

I really like the two way adjustment of the tightening dial in the back and that you can angle it down toward the base of your neck. That helps with the comfort.

It is noticably cooler than any other helmet I have owned. Also sunglasses fit nicely with the ear clearance.

Best way is to just get out to different shops and try them on. The nearest shop to me is over an hour away and I went to 4 different places over a months time. Time worth spending. Im pretty happy with the choice I came to.

Everyones heads are shaped differently so this helmet may not have the same feel for you. My head shape is more long than round if that helps.

-Sean

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have a POC OCTAL race day helmet l in addition to having a Specialized Echelon and Louis Garneau Global.

My go to helmet hands down has been the POC. The comfortably from the fit, straps, padding and ventilation is at its best, especially for the those long day rides above 60+ miles.

As already mentioned several times, Not everybody's heads are shaped the same... helmets are like saddles, so what fits me may not fit you the same way.... My head is more long/oval than round if that helps.
    "I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday & I love today!!"

"There are only two ways to establish competitive advantage: do things better than others or do them differently."

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."

2009 SCOTT Speedster w/Ultegra 6800
    2007 IRONHORSE HT

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I must be on my fourth or fifth Atmos -- and I still have a NIB one stashed away I need to break out soon. My experience has been that helmet companies have different ideas about how heads are shaped. So if the Atmos you have fits you well, another Giro helmet probably will too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Atmos has terrific ventilation, but it is kind of dated looking. For me, the Synthe is a put on and forget it's there helmet. Ventilation, weight, adjustability are boxes that the Synthe checks for me, as does aesthetic (totally subjective, of course).

I have two Prevail IIs, initially I really liked them. One thing I knew about going in was the non-adjustable straps, which I thought I could move past. Turns out my head really likes having the straps play a role in keeping the helmet steady on my head. For whatever reason, the Prevail is always dipping forward on me, regardless of the the crown adjustment height. Also, tightening down the strap at the clip results in strap bowing, which in turn results in occasional wind cavitation, and worse, sunglasses under the straps.

I went ahead and ordered another Synthe. It's just that good (for me).