Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 101112

Thread: New Pedal

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    This shot - okay, any shot - of the pedals mounted... yikes! And people thought discs were scary in group rides/races.

Attachment 323911
    If Vlad the Impaler was a cyclist, he would use these pedals.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Belief to back opinion. Great.
    Data trumps belief.
    Last pork shoulder aka butt I bought cost me $11 on sale. Full price is $1.99/lb so around $15. Plus, it would not be wasted at all. Rinse it off, cut out any damage, then cook it. 12 hours in a smoker, or slather it with spice and herb and roast it in 3 hours or so. Or carnitas. Makes good sausages too.
    So, $30 to test it and potentially shut up some critics is, in your mind, too expensive, a waste? That shows that you care more for $30 of your marketing and/or R&D money than rider safety.
    That speaks to your confidence in your product, and to your character.
    I will point out that ANYONE here could do that test, all they need to know is the exact diameter of the outside of the pedal. Care to share that measurement? Maybe you have already, but you really don't have to, it would be pretty simple to scale a good estimate from images, if anyone wants to go to the pixel counting level.
    Please, continue tarnishing your brand before it ever hits the market.
    You have stepped over the line attacking my character. I assure you that all of the people who know me personally would let you know what kind of person I truly am. Obviously if I am riding a 10k bicycle I can afford to buy a pork shoulder. I personally just thought that it is an idiotic way to test if this pedal system would impale a person. We all have our own opinions, and I'm sure yours is very important to you. I would have to think that a wreck at 25 or 30 mph would have much more of a chance for the pedal to do damage than to drop the pork roast from saddle height. I just cannot believe with all of the other dangers of riding a bike at speed, in a group, that I have to spend so much attention to my pedal possibly impaling a person. Again, that is just my opinion.

Actually, I am sure there are those here who would enjoy running the numbers and tell us what might happen. BTW, pork with the skin on is a very good analogue for human, so feel free to use the numbers for human skin, if anyone goes this route.

The math costs $0 in supplies.
    Let me know what happens, I am curious to know what would happen.

Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Very simple. He provided a semi-dimensioned drawing a few pages back. Easy to scale the diameter. 3/4". Maybe a little less? The latest photos, the head looks to have a smaller shoulder.
    What you are saying is correct. It is a large blunt end with slide radiuses on the outside perimeter.

Which would make a difference.
    I hope people drag this out step by step.
    Ok

Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    I think you'd first have to determine the force of an average crash, e.g. 180 lbs rider, 20 mph, etc. Gets complicated - crash, roll, deceleration, etc. Maybe borrow crash data from other studies - like concussions, clavicles, etc.

In the end, it may mean dropping the 8 lb pork shoulder from X height, factoring in the 9.8 m/s/s formula.

Yeah... this thread's not gonna die ;-)
    You are obviously a much smarter person than I am. By far. My only point is that with all of the other hazards that are out there riding a bicycle, at a 20mph average speed, there are a million things that could go wrong and cause an injury. I'm not even disagreeing that this could be 100,000,001 cause for an injury.

Quote Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
    If Vlad the Impaler was a cyclist, he would use these pedals.
    Nice comparison, but I feel maybe a little excessive.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018
    On my end I am going to end all of my discussions about the pedal system being able to walk on a polished tile floor. I went to the local shopping mall, and went inside with my bike shoes on to make an unedited video with my phone. As you will see in the video I can walk all over the place in these shoes. It is truly even easier to walk outside on concrete or asphalt. But as you can see here https://youtu.be/xM-bw3R6qlk you are easily able to walk into a coffee shop or convenience store to buy something to eat or hydrate with. On another note that I hope you can see, there is no damage being done to the floors. Zero!

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitbull Pedal View Post
    You have stepped over the line attacking my character.
    Technically, I described it, I did not attack it. Just to be clear.

You complained about the COST, you certainly did not say the test would prove nothing. You said "I 100% do not believe that it would pierce from saddle height,"....

So, you value your opinion more than finding out by testing that would cost $30 and minutes of time. You are the one who revealed your character, I just made it explicit.

If you have a problem, report me to the moderators. I am sure they will evaluate things, including you using this community for marketing, as opposed to being a part of it and contributing in other areas of the site.

Which, if you think about it, also speaks to character.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    You have stepped over the line attacking my character. I assure you that all of the people who know me personally would let you know what kind of person I truly am. Obviously if I am riding a 10k bicycle I can afford to buy a pork shoulder. I personally just thought that it is an idiotic way to test if this pedal system would impale a person.
    Actually it's the perfect way. Pork (with skin) is often used as a stand in for human bodies in destructive testing as it's the most similar animal.

We all have our own opinions, and I'm sure yours is very important to you. I would have to think that a wreck at 25 or 30 mph would have much more of a chance for the pedal to do damage than to drop the pork roast from saddle height.
    You left out the part where QQQ said "That is a MINIMAL force situation, Any real world accident will have more forces involved for sure."

FYI, dropping an object from saddle height will produce a velocity of ~9.5mph. Sounds like a good minimal force situation.
    In lieu of the pork shoulder, you could test it yourself. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want to run into it, abdomen first, at 9mph.

To produce 20mph, drop your pork from 14ft.

I just cannot believe with all of the other dangers of riding a bike at speed, in a group, that I have to spend so much attention to my pedal possibly impaling a person. Again, that is just my opinion.
    Uhh yea you need to. You really don't know much about product research, design, and safety.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018
    Technically, I described it, I did not attack it. Just to be clear.

You complained about the COST, you certainly did not say the test would prove nothing. You said "I 100% do not believe that it would pierce from saddle height,"....

So, you value your opinion more than finding out by testing that would cost $30 and minutes of time. You are the one who revealed your character, I just made it explicit.

If you have a problem, report me to the moderators. I am sure they will evaluate things, including you using this community for marketing, as opposed to being a part of it and contributing in other areas of the site.

Which, if you think about it, also speaks to character.
    By coincidence I had started another thread to show where I keep the inner tube and Co2 on the bike. So I have accomplished what you were referring to. As far as the meat testing, prior I had mentioned that I have no problem in buying the meat and dropping it from saddle height. I just think that with all of the other dangers that are involved with riding a bike at a much higher speed than your casual ride with your family that dropping a piece of meat is going to be the perfect test. If I did wreck, until my foot did disengage/unclip, the entire pedal is covered up with my shoe. Trying to take all factors into consideration.

Also I wouldn't report anyone to the moderators for just stating what they think. I'm not trying to sell anyone here the pedal or anything else, I'm just trying to have an open conversation and give as many honest answers that I can. But yesterday we did send an email out to Specialized corporate office, giving them our first sales pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Actually it's the perfect way. Pork (with skin) is often used as a stand in for human bodies in destructive testing as it's the most similar animal.

You left out the part where QQQ said "That is a MINIMAL force situation, Any real world accident will have more forces involved for sure."

FYI, dropping an object from saddle height will produce a velocity of ~9.5mph. Sounds like a good minimal force situation.
    In lieu of the pork shoulder, you could test it yourself. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want to run into it, abdomen first, at 9mph.

To produce 20mph, drop your pork from 14ft.

Uhh yea you need to. You really don't know much about product research, design, and safety.
    You are impressing me with your engineering and mathematical skills. Maybe I'll buy the pork shoulder or butt? and try it. Would be fun to record the video, as I've had fun making these. Remember, until the whole fall would happen and my foot would need to disengage, because the pedal is completely covered by my foot,it would need to be the perfect storm for the person (or piece of meat) to hit at the perfect angle and velocity. Which I do suppose would happen.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Remember, until the whole fall would happen and my foot would need to disengage, because the pedal is completely covered by my foot,it would need to be the perfect storm for the person (or piece of meat) to hit at the perfect angle and velocity. Which I do suppose would happen.
    A perfect storm?? Have you ever seen a bike crash? Do you think riders are still going to be clipped in when the dust settles? (Was your partner's leg gashed by his chainring while he was still clipped in?)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    pitbull, I can't read all the latest posts, but don't you think you've gotten a ton of free advertisement from this website?

where else could you spam to so many people for free??
    Oh my, a troll who doesn't know the difference between your and you're. What will they think of next?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I think Pitbull is missing the point that most cyclists are loyal to certain pedal types/brands and aren't likely to change. For me it's SPD SL, 3 different versions on 3 bikes, can walk easily in them, plenty of float, no look clip ins at stop signs and all but the Dura ace are affordable. Same with Crank Bros on my MTB and fat bike. Work well and not likely to change brands.
    Float is a big deal for me and Pitbull's pedals have zero. I'm old school and used to straps and fixed cleats back in the 80's and dont miss them.
    I do admire his attempt to create a new biking product though.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by robc in wi View Post
    I think Pitbull is missing the point that most cyclists are loyal to certain pedal types/brands and aren't likely to change. For me it's SPD SL, 3 different versions on 3 bikes, can walk easily in them, plenty of float, no look clip ins at stop signs and all but the Dura ace are affordable.
    Nope. It's all about the "major problem" of not being able to clip in. Go back to post #1. All this work he's done is because he couldn't clip into pedals.

As I would frequently miss clipping into my other pedals while riding in a group, with this you're gonna get in virtually 100% of the time.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    it would need to be the perfect storm for the person (or piece of meat) to hit at the perfect angle and velocity. Which I do suppose would happen.
    I agree with you on this.

There are plenty of freak things that can happen on a bike but I don't think the exposed pedal spindle present very much addition danger. I used to ride bikes with kickstands and freestyle pegs and lived to tell the tale.

Meanwhile, I have a friend who impaled his calf on a BMX brake lever and nearly core-sampled his groin on a handlebar (always install your bar end plugs folks). My wife got stitches from her chainring, and I nearly lopped off a finger with my spokes while trying to clear something from my wheel (stupid mistake). A friend of friend is currently recovering from a fractured tibia and broken hip (!) resulting from getting his leg tangled up in his front triangle during a relatively slow speed crash.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Anyone that's been in a road cycling crash can attest to the fact that you come out of the pedals immediately without any thought process. It just happens without you even knowing. So, indeed these pedals are weapons capable of impaling another rider.

It will be interesting to see what the CPSC has to say once these make it to market. Perhaps a good idea to run them by them now. They sure look to put riders in much more danger than that "lawyer tabs" are intended to prevent.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Pedals of Doom !
    Oh my, a troll who doesn't know the difference between your and you're. What will they think of next?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018
    A perfect storm?? Have you ever seen a bike crash? Do you think riders are still going to be clipped in when the dust settles? (Was your partner's leg gashed by his chainring while he was still clipped in?)
    He was unclipped. He got the cut on the left calf. We believe that the right pedal had stayed clipped somehow. As far as crashes go, I've had 3 major crashes. All 3 times I would of not received any injury from a 3/4" blunt pedal. Here is one of the crazy wrecks, somehow (again the perfect storm) I hit a small piece of an Oak tree that had fallen off onto the sidewalk. It would fit in the palm of your hand. It was dark and I just didn't see it. I must've hit at exactly the perfect angle and this was my resulting road rash.Attachment 323969

Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    pitbull, I can't read all the latest posts, but don't you think you've gotten a ton of free advertisement from this website?

where else could you spam to so many people for free??
    I've actually never used a forum before. I don't even see it as an advertisement as I'm not trying to sell it to any single individuals, I've just had fun making posts and seeing what people have to say, and answering questions as honestly as I know how.

Quote Originally Posted by robc in wi View Post
    I think Pitbull is missing the point that most cyclists are loyal to certain pedal types/brands and aren't likely to change. For me it's SPD SL, 3 different versions on 3 bikes, can walk easily in them, plenty of float, no look clip ins at stop signs and all but the Dura ace are affordable. Same with Crank Bros on my MTB and fat bike. Work well and not likely to change brands.
    Float is a big deal for me and Pitbull's pedals have zero. I'm old school and used to straps and fixed cleats back in the 80's and dont miss them.
    I do admire his attempt to create a new biking product though.
    I think you may of misunderstood one the posts I had made. They would be offered with float as well, the decision would just need to be made before deciding on which to buy. As far as all the pedals that you have mentioned, I'm sure that they work good for you, just like there are so many different models of car, I'm just trying to slide one more into the group that I do believe works exceptionally well.

Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    I agree with you on this.

There are plenty of freak things that can happen on a bike but I don't think the exposed pedal spindle present very much addition danger. I used to ride bikes with kickstands and freestyle pegs and lived to tell the tale.

Meanwhile, I have a friend who impaled his calf on a BMX brake lever and nearly core-sampled his groin on a handlebar (always install your bar end plugs folks). My wife got stitches from her chainring, and I nearly lopped off a finger with my spokes while trying to clear something from my wheel (stupid mistake). A friend of friend is currently recovering from a fractured tibia and broken hip (!) resulting from getting his leg tangled up in his front triangle during a relatively slow speed crash.
    I agree

Quote Originally Posted by GKSki View Post
    Anyone that's been in a road cycling crash can attest to the fact that you come out of the pedals immediately without any thought process. It just happens without you even knowing. So, indeed these pedals are weapons capable of impaling another rider.

It will be interesting to see what the CPSC has to say once these make it to market. Perhaps a good idea to run them by them now. They sure look to put riders in much more danger than that "lawyer tabs" are intended to prevent.
    Thanks for the idea, I'll check into it. It is a 3/4" diameter flat with radius edges. Nothing sharp on it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018
    Attachment 323970
    I don't know if factory feel will consider this spam, but anyone want to buy a hot rod? I'm sure we can find a way to put a bike rack on it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    That's not a road racing crash. You don't stay clipped in either side in a real crash while road racing, unless you just avoid the crash.

I will say it, I would initiate a rider protest to not be involved racing against anyone with those pedals. Almost the same reason that mass start racing does not allow clip on bars. Not even sure if Scott Drop-ins or other variations are allowed any longer by USA Cycling or the UCI.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    He was unclipped. He got the cut on the left calf. We believe that the right pedal had stayed clipped somehow.
    Your friend managed to slice his left calf on his chainring while his right foot was still clipped in, yet you can't imagine how your pedals could lead to an injury?

As far as crashes go, I've had 3 major crashes. All 3 times I would of not received any injury from a 3/4" blunt pedal.
    In my last three crashes I would not have been injured by a Bowie knife taped to my handlebars. By your logic, riding with a large knife attached to one's handlebars is therefore perfectly safe.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    All 3 times I would of not received any injury from a 3/4" blunt pedal.
    Would have. Sorry, that's just one of my pet peeves.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    It don't matter.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    I would have just said would've.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by GKSki View Post
    That's not a road racing crash. You don't stay clipped in either side in a real crash while road racing, unless you just avoid the crash.

I will say it, I would initiate a rider protest to not be involved racing against anyone with those pedals. Almost the same reason that mass start racing does not allow clip on bars. Not even sure if Scott Drop-ins or other variations are allowed any longer by USA Cycling or the UCI.
    All this is valid information, but I really don't know if all that is my intended market. I think that I would just be weekend warriors, new people trying to learn how to use clip in, etc.

Your friend managed to slice his left calf on his chainring while his right foot was still clipped in, yet you can't imagine how your pedals could lead to an injury?

In my last three crashes I would not have been injured by a Bowie knife taped to my handlebars. By your logic, riding with a large knife attached to one's handlebars is therefore perfectly safe.
    I really don't understand what you're trying to say. I don't see how you can compare the two in any form or fashion. But that is your opinion, which is valid.

Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    My bad.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018
    I just want to thank everyone who has participated in this discussion. Some points I have learned and I'm happy that I did. As we added the large 3/4" blunt end to the pedal. I think I'm even going to try the idea of a camelbak under my shirt to help clean up the bike visually. Anyway I'm going to stop this thread unless anything of value comes up, and I'll be more than happy to respond. We are also looking to seek out one or two more reputable companies to review the pedal. If we're fortunate enough to get more reviews, I'll post the link.

Thanks again to everyone, and stay safe.
    PB

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 101112