Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 204

Thread: New Pedal

  1. #26
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,875
    How would they be walking home from a flat or mechanical?

  2. #27
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    259
    I apprecaite what you are trying to do. There is always a place for a better mousetrap.

    That aluminum bracket sticking down off of the bottom of that shoe looks like a problem. Not just for floors as others have mentioned, but just trying to walk in it, and not tripping over anything.

    What is the stack height of this system? How awkward is it to walk in compared to a speedplay walkable or SPD-SL?

    Perhaps a profile shot of the shoe with your cleat sitting on a flat surface compared to the same shot of a Speedplay Walkable or SPD-SL cleated shoe?

  3. #28
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: kiwisimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    6,189
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    How would they be walking home from a flat or mechanical?
    what road specific cleat isn't a PITA?

  4. #29
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: BCSaltchucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,879
    this pedal system looks like it should be priced WELL under the decent Exustar PR100 which sells for less than $40
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

  5. #30
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    166
    Have these been mentioned yet?



    https://newatlas.com/ultralite-world...-pedals/24146/

    This may be a small concern, but I'd not want to have the end of the pedal in the OP land on any part of my body in a crash.

  6. #31
    tlg
    tlg is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    12,366
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisgah2000 View Post
    Have these been mentioned yet?
    Yes, post #12. Not those particular pedals, but there's been numerous versions of post type pedals over the years, in very refined forms. Yet none of them take off. Hmmmm.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

  7. #32
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    8,663
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Yes, post #12. Not those particular pedals, but there's been numerous versions of post type pedals over the years, in very refined forms. Yet none of them take off. Hmmmm.
    From what I understand about the first one's that were linked to is extreme weightweenies get them for purposes of weighing their bike and being able to say it's functional. I don't think anyone actually buys them for purposes of getting a good functioning pedal.

  8. #33
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
    The easy engagement looks great. Don't be deterred by the feedback you get here. They would have told Mr Dysoin back in 1980 no one needs a new vacuum, in fact Hoover and Electrolux did. What are your plans for this?

    But, as the "inventor" your baby, probably needs testing by someone not emotionally invested in the system. If you are aiming for the racing market ask a racer to use it for a few weeks. If weekend warriors then ask someone else. For me with dodgy knees the lack of float would turn me off. BTW, can you use grams for your weight measurements, ounces are so 19th century. Good luck.
    Thanks for the input. We really don't have any exact plans yet as we're just having some fun with a new product. I think that they really should be for the weekend warrior, or any new person wanting to start moving into clip in pedals as they are so easy to clip into. I also think that they'd be perfectly fine for anyone else as they work perfectly. But if you're the type of person that thinks a few grams here or there are going to influence your ride, these could weigh a little extra.

    You are correct in this first initial design of the pedal there is no float, but with how the design is a manufacturer could easily pitch or angle the sides 2 or 3 degrees to create some float without any trouble.

    As far as oz and grams, I'm just and old buck having some fun.

  9. #34
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: OldZaskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,132
    Pitbull, this is a tough crowd. I love (!) that you're innovating in an area that hasn't seen a whole lot of innovation. But, I do think there are two deal killers to address: the lack of float, and the floor-damaging, ass-busting aluminum cleat.

  10. #35
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    166
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Yes, post #12. Not those particular pedals, but there's been numerous versions of post type pedals over the years, in very refined forms. Yet none of them take off. Hmmmm.
    Ah. Still working on my morning coffee. Carry on.

  11. #36
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Sorry, but I'm not convinced. Not only does that cleat look to be just about impossible to walk on, but being aluminum it's likely to bend and break easily.
    I understand the concern, we have thickened up the aluminum in certain areas. I'm a 200lb rider and have been walking on them for a long period of time with no problems. Our new pedals have a carbide insert to prevent any wearing down of the aluminum.


    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    How would they be walking home from a flat or mechanical?
    Just like any other road bike shoe, it isn't really what you would hope to have to do. You could definitely do it, but no matter what road shoes I had on, if it was possible I'd remove them and walk in my socks.


    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    this pedal system looks like it should be priced WELL under the decent Exustar PR100 which sells for less than $40
    I do appreciate the thought, but there is no way the pedal could be produced and sold for that pricing as far as I can tell. It works flawlessly going in and coming out, and that should have some value to it.


    Quote Originally Posted by Pisgah2000 View Post
    This may be a small concern, but I'd not want to have the end of the pedal in the OP land on any part of my body in a crash.
    I understand the concern, but the pedal is completely rounded off and polished to a smooth surface, your brake handles come to more of a point than our pedal as far as being able to gouge you. Also all of us are trying not to crash, but if we do there are so many variables that can happen with objects on the bike/road/trail and we can't be protected from everything, every time.

    Quote Originally Posted by Finx View Post
    I apprecaite what you are trying to do. There is always a place for a better mousetrap.

    That aluminum bracket sticking down off of the bottom of that shoe looks like a problem. Not just for floors as others have mentioned, but just trying to walk in it, and not tripping over anything.

    What is the stack height of this system? How awkward is it to walk in compared to a speedplay walkable or SPD-SL?

    Perhaps a profile shot of the shoe with your cleat sitting on a flat surface compared to the same shot of a Speedplay Walkable or SPD-SL cleated shoe?
    As far as our pedal, the total height is 5/8" which is basically the same height as other clip ins such as the Shimano cleat. I can't stress enough that walking is not a problem, but they are still bike cleats and not walking shoes. I don't have any of those pedals to put next to mine, but I could post a photo of my shoe on a flat surface if you would like.

  12. #37
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    60
    New Pedal-28100-mms-1519139056522-attachment1-20180220_093444.jpg

    Just thought I would add a picture of the pedals all polished and ready to go get anodized. They look so good polished, we are thinking about leaving them be as when they get scratched you could always just touch them up. If they get anodized and then scratched the scratches will be there forever. The 2 pieces of spring steel are not in the picture, but they're going to have a titanium coating.

  13. #38
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,048
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    Pitbull, this is a tough crowd. I love (!) that you're innovating in an area that hasn't seen a whole lot of innovation. But, I do think there are two deal killers to address: the lack of float, and the floor-damaging, ass-busting aluminum cleat.
    I think, as a couple of posters have mentioned, that the exposed pedal spindle would be a 3rd deal breaker.

    While the disc brake scare tactic is a bit over done, that exposed spindle looks to be a real hazard in a crash. A foot disengaged from the pedal while the riders full weight is still being carried by the bike could leave a nasty puncture wound in a group crash. Or landing on a bike with these pedals with ones full weight in the event of a crash could leave the same puncture wound.

    Puncture wounds caused by round instruments, as opposed to bladed, are nasty and don't heal easily.
    Too old to ride plastic

  14. #39
    tlg
    tlg is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    12,366
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitbull Pedal View Post
    Just thought I would add a picture of the pedals all polished and ready to go get anodized. They look so good polished, we are thinking about leaving them be as when they get scratched you could always just touch them up. If they get anodized and then scratched the scratches will be there forever. The 2 pieces of spring steel are not in the picture, but they're going to have a titanium coating.
    Yes the do look nice. Are they CNC machined from a solid piece of aluminum? Or pre-cast and final machined?
    Either way, they look dang expensive. What do they cost?

    Don't anodize them! Unless you go clear. Any color is just going to scratch up and look ugly. And it's just wasted cost.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

  15. #40
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,048
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitbull Pedal View Post
    I understand the concern, but the pedal is completely rounded off and polished to a smooth surface, your brake handles come to more of a point than our pedal as far as being able to gouge you. Also all of us are trying not to crash, but if we do there are so many variables that can happen with objects on the bike/road/trail and we can't be protected from everything, every time.
    It's not about being protected from everything. A brake lever following the curve of the handlebars is not the same as a spindle sticking out at a right angle from the crank arm.
    Too old to ride plastic

  16. #41
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Yes the do look nice. Are they CNC machined from a solid piece of aluminum? Or pre-cast and final machined?
    Either way, they look dang expensive. What do they cost?
    Don't anodize them! Unless you go clear. Any color is just going to scratch up and look ugly. And it's just wasted cost.
    Yes, they are CNC'd out of a solid piece of aluminum, and then put into a press to bend the correct arc that matches the shoe. We were thinking of clear anodize too, but we may just go with raw, as it'll cut down on production cost and it can be rebuffed as needed.


    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    Pitbull, this is a tough crowd. I love (!) that you're innovating in an area that hasn't seen a whole lot of innovation. But, I do think there are two deal killers to address: the lack of float, and the floor-damaging, ass-busting aluminum cleat.
    As I had stated earlier, they can easily be made to have 2 or 3 degrees of float. I can only reiterate that we've walked with them many many times.

    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    I think, as a couple of posters have mentioned, that the exposed pedal spindle would be a 3rd deal breaker.

    While the disc brake scare tactic is a bit over done, that exposed spindle looks to be a real hazard in a crash. A foot disengaged from the pedal while the riders full weight is still being carried by the bike could leave a nasty puncture wound in a group crash. Or landing on a bike with these pedals with ones full weight in the event of a crash could leave the same puncture wound.

    Puncture wounds caused by round instruments, as opposed to bladed, are nasty and don't heal easily.
    There is not much that I can say except that we're all trying not to crash, there are so many variables that can happen in a major crash, and to dwell on only that one spot doesn't seem where we need to spend 100% of our focus. But that is why we had made it such a blunt and smooth end.

  17. #42
    tlg
    tlg is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    12,366
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitbull Pedal View Post
    Yes, they are CNC'd out of a solid piece of aluminum, and then put into a press to bend the correct arc that matches the shoe. We were thinking of clear anodize too, but we may just go with raw, as it'll cut down on production cost and it can be rebuffed as needed.
    What do they cost?
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

  18. #43
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,604
    What percentage of riders that ride over 6hr/wk have 'road' shoes. I'm thinking like 10%?
    BANNED

  19. #44
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    8,663
    Another thing you need to test is the impact of wear. I know you're touting the easy out but I wouldn't be so confident than getting out so easy is a good thing and wear will only make getting out easier. Fine for casual riding but if it's as easy as your video makes it look I wouldn't want to sprint in with those things.

  20. #45
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    13,166
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    What percentage of riders that ride over 6hr/wk have 'road' shoes. I'm thinking like 10%?
    In my area I'd have to guess about 75%. Someone that rides that much is most likely serious enough to use road shoes.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

  21. #46
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Fredrico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    24,594
    Here ya go, light weight; good support of foot over a wide area; easy to slip in and out of; feet will stay on the pedals with or without cycling shoes. The cleats have no protrusions to wear down and last a long time. The pedal bearings are serviceable but never wear out. The cages get destroyed in a crash first. They're cheap and readily available throughout the world.

    The cleats have no float. Its bad for the knees.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Pedal-1sk3j.jpg   New Pedal-parts016.jpg  
    Last edited by Fredrico; 02-20-2018 at 09:18 AM.

  22. #47
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: BCSaltchucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,879
    last time I used clipped pedal cleats .. I had to attach them by hammering in tacks into the leather. And ... the cleats were made of aluminum, which wasn't all bad. But was a pita if not placed exactly in the right spot, lol.
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

  23. #48
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Fredrico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    24,594
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    last time I used clipped pedal cleats .. I had to attach them by hammering in tacks into the leather. And ... the cleats were made of aluminum, which wasn't all bad.
    That was before flexible plastics, huh? Good old fashioned wood. And tacking the cleats on there was how it was done!

    Already entering mid-life crisis and late to the game, my first pair had leather soles with an alleged titanium shank imbedded down the middle. They couldn't have been as stiff as the fabled wooden ones. Still, it took Look and Shimano 20 years to widen their platforms to rat trap pedal cage size. Keirin racers in Japan are still riding those pedals. Some trackies who went to clipless added toe straps just to be sure.

    Oh yeah, rider can loosen the strap for quick exit in traffic and tighten it when doing tempo, climbing, etc. Beats the tension adjustment schemes on clipless pedals.

  24. #49
    Darling of The Lounge
    Reputation: Retro Grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    4,081
    Interesting thread.

    I'm well into my third decade of road cycling. I started on Sampson Sakae, then onto Looks and finally settled on Speedplay X-1 for over twenty years now. I still haven't seen a pedal system that would make me change.

  25. #50
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: kiwisimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    6,189
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitbull Pedal View Post
    Thanks for the input. We really don't have any exact plans yet as we're just having some fun with a new product. I think that they really should be for the weekend warrior, or any new person wanting to start moving into clip in pedals as they are so easy to clip into. I also think that they'd be perfectly fine for anyone else as they work perfectly. But if you're the type of person that thinks a few grams here or there are going to influence your ride, these could weigh a little extra.

    You are correct in this first initial design of the pedal there is no float, but with how the design is a manufacturer could easily pitch or angle the sides 2 or 3 degrees to create some float without any trouble.

    As far as oz and grams, I'm just and old buck having some fun.
    Well if you want a beta tester you won't have to look far. Good luck.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. tick tick pedal pedal tick tcik
    By Har in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 10-03-2012, 04:06 PM
  2. Pedal Force or Pedal Farc .......
    By sindlero in forum Cyclocross
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 09-16-2011, 03:11 PM
  3. Bontrager RE-1 Pedal Bearings? Any Pedal bearings?
    By davez26 in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-29-2011, 10:23 PM
  4. Bontrager RE-1 Pedal Bearings? Any Pedal bearings?
    By davez26 in forum Retro-Classic
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-19-2011, 11:40 AM
  5. Road shoe/pedal vs Mtn shoe/pedal combo
    By PAZ71 in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-31-2006, 09:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

roadbikereview.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.