Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Pedal

Russian Troll Farmer
    From what I see, you have developed the most bulky, heaviest, and most awkward cleat (maybe also the most expensive), and most easy to damage (although Speedplays are probably as bad). I see zero advantage to your system. Also, that little piece of spring steel you are using to hold the axle in looks like it's likely to break on the road, leaving you few options.

I wish you well, but I wouldn't sink much money into this idea.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisgah2000 View Post
    Have these been mentioned yet?

https://newatlas.com/ultralite-world...-pedals/24146/

This may be a small concern, but I'd not want to have the end of the pedal in the OP land on any part of my body in a crash.
    Those look like they have the same drawbacks, but at least are cheaper, lighter, and easier to replace.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    From what I see, you have developed the most bulky, heaviest, and most awkward cleat (maybe also the most expensive), and most easy to damage (although Speedplays are probably as bad). I see zero advantage to your system. Also, that little piece of spring steel you are using to hold the axle in looks like it's likely to break on the road, leaving you few options.
    I wish you well, but I wouldn't sink much money into this idea.
    Appreciate the input and feedback, it truly isn't bulky it may just appear that way in the pictures. The side by side picture with the shimano cleat, ours is a little longer but theirs is a little wider so we do feel like we're in the boundaries of size. As far as heaviest, I really don't believe that they'd be the heaviest, they're actually lighter than most pedals. Now this is just my opinion, I believe the industry has been brilliant in marketing these weight issues to everyone. What I have learned over the last 5 years, which may not be that long to lifelong cyclists, wind and hills are your enemy. A few grams here or there fighting a 20mph headwind means nothing. Also in my opinion a few grams climbing a mountain also means nothing as what you've lost on your ascent, gravity will make up for on the descent. All that we're claiming for these pedals are that they are the fastest pedals to get into and the easiest. I'm a 200lb test person and we've had no issues up to date. Again, these are just my thoughts. As far as the spring steel, it only is bending a few thousands of an inch to secure itself into place. There really should be no chance of it having a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    What percentage of riders that ride over 6hr/wk have 'road' shoes. I'm thinking like 10%?
    I have no idea. But there are many pedal companies out there who sell pedals, who must think that it is a valid business.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Another thing you need to test is the impact of wear. I know you're touting the easy out but I wouldn't be so confident than getting out so easy is a good thing and wear will only make getting out easier. Fine for casual riding but if it's as easy as your video makes it look I wouldn't want to sprint in with those things.
    Again, thanks for the input. There is no wear to the aluminum cleat as there is a carbide insert that touches the ground. As I showed in an earlier video I could hang 20lbs of weight off it with zero slippage. Last but least, I have found out that I'm a pretty decent bike rider for my age, and I can hammer these pedals up our local bridges with zero slippage up to date. One additional thing, there is an adjustment on the pedal to adjust how hard it is to get in and out of with just a quarter turn it changes it dramatically. A full turn, and you'll be unable to get out. That is how secure the pedal really is.

Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    Here ya go, light weight; good support of foot over a wide area; easy to slip in and out of; feet will stay on the pedals with or without cycling shoes. The cleats have no protrusions to wear down and last a long time. The pedal bearings are serviceable but never wear out. The cages get destroyed in a crash first. They're cheap and readily available throughout the world.

The cleats have no float. Its bad for the knees.
    It just looks like an old school cage system and I believe that I can get in and out much quicker than those. Ours has an extremely wide platform to even the weight out over your entire foot. Ours also have bling

Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    last time I used clipped pedal cleats .. I had to attach them by hammering in tacks into the leather. And ... the cleats were made of aluminum, which wasn't all bad. But was a pita if not placed exactly in the right spot, lol.
    Sounds like an old system. Our cleats are adjustable, and also our cleats can be made with float. These particular ones that we've been enjoying have no float. I recommend that if a person is transitioning from float pedals to non-float pedals that they were their shoes extremely loose and gradually tighten them up. Just to try and train your leg into this new motion

.New Pedal-28023-mms-1519052841498-attachment1-20170708_160658.jpg

Here is a picture of my hot rod. I wouldn't trade the bike for anything. I just want to thank everyone for your input, both pro's and con's. I've tried to answer all of them as truthfully as possible. We're just a couple of old bucks who have come up with an idea and are seeing what we can do with it. It has been fun up to date about all the different types that we've come up trying to get to what we believe is the best road bike pedal.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Donít give up. Follow your dreams and have fun along the way.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    Donít give up. Follow your dreams and have fun along the way.
    ....and lose your shirt on it, just like about 90% of the people who try to bring new cycling components to market do.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    No float is a complete dealbreaker for me. Even 2-3 degrees isn't enough.

I run a minimum of 6, and I actively use it all throughout a ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    ....and lose your shirt on it, just like about 90% of the people who try to bring new cycling components to market do.
    You must be popular in droughts. I think Cape Town is calling....

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
    You must be popular in droughts. I think Cape Town is calling....
    But he's right, especially in this case. Following your dream is one thing...following your not-so-smart dream is another completely.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by pedalbiker View Post
    No float is a complete dealbreaker for me. Even 2-3 degrees isn't enough.

I run a minimum of 6, and I actively use it all throughout a ride.
    I appreciate you wanting maximum float, unfortunately for me I had the maximum float on my LOOK pedals and it actually allowed my heel to rub the crank enough to distort the dura-ace crank logo. So whatever float a person may need, I would hope that they could get away with less than I had encountered. Again, just my opinion. We all know, opinions are like a**holes and everyone has one, this one is just mine haha.

RoadBikeReview Member
    it's good to have people trying different approaches to things...

pointing out design flaws and desirable attributes is helpful, being a snarky jerk and telling the guy his idea is crap isn't.

consumers will determine if a new item is an improved and cost-competitive alternative to other products.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    it's good to have people trying different approaches to things...

pointing out design flaws and desirable attributes is helpful, being a snarky jerk and telling the guy his idea is crap isn't.

consumers will determine if a new item is an improved and cost-competitive alternative to other products.
    I agree with this sentiment. Giving useful feedback is useful. This is obviously what the OP wanted bringing this here.

You can do this without being a jerk about it.

For my part, it sounds like the problem being solved here is to make engagement easier. As a long time speedplay x1 and zero user, I don't find engagement to be an issue. These pedals are engaged by a simple natural downward pressure. Like any pedal, they do take some getting used to, but once you've done it a few times, it becomes second nature and you don't really think about it.

If I were looking for a new pedal, I think I would be put off by this pedals aesthetic and the harsh looking metal cleat protruding from the bottom of the shoe.

I don't really know exactly how this pedal design works, but if a minor redesign resulted in a more user (and floor) friendly cleat and pedal spindle, and the cost was reasonable, I might consider giving it a try...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    But he's right, especially in this case. Following your dream is one thing...following your not-so-smart dream is another completely.
    What if Al Gore had listened to the naysayers?

You wouldn't be here to brighten our day.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Yes. FWIW, I'm in the CNC business. We could make that cleat for you, for about $10 each, not plated. You could retail them for $20. So that would make this cleat the heaviest, largest, most awkward to walk on, as well as the most expensive on the market with the least amount of float (and I don't even like pedal float!). Sorry, but I see far too many issues.

OTOH, if you are OK with all the drawbacks mentioned above, then you should incorporate a spindle for the entire cleat assembly to rotate on. Or perhaps just make a big old magnet to hold on with?

Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    What percentage of riders that ride over 6hr/wk have 'road' shoes. I'm thinking like 10%?
    Around my town, I'd say better than 1/2 of ALL bike owners have "road shoes", and probably 90% of those who ride over 6 hrs/week.

Do you live somewhere in the vicinity of Podunk?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitbull Pedal View Post
    I appreciate you wanting maximum float, unfortunately for me I had the maximum float on my LOOK pedals and it actually allowed my heel to rub the crank enough to distort the dura-ace crank logo. So whatever float a person may need, I would hope that they could get away with less than I had encountered.
    What are your plans going forward? Are you seriously thinking about a production run?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Consider that you may not be able to get UCI approval and that will impact you whether or not your targeted customers race. I can't see that spindle being approved.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by GKSki View Post
    Consider that you may not be able to get UCI approval and that will impact you whether or not your targeted customers race. I can't see that spindle being approved.
    Excellent point.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

Nouveau Retrogrouch
    I understand your thought process, but I have been in many stores over the past few years and up to date have not been asked to leave or noticed any damage that I have left. What you're saying is true that I didn't jerk the 25lb weight up in one swift stroke, but it does clearly show it holding the 25lb weight. I am a fairly large rider, 6'1" and weigh 200lbs. I sprint with these pedals all of the time. I climb the bridges out of the saddle and hit them hard, again with no slippage. Obviously we are all trying to pedal in circles, push and pull is our method of course. But when I am sprinting, my heels do not kick out like I'm trying to disengage all other pedals, therefore there is no slippage. Actually in the video, you can't tell it because of my crappy video, but as I make the U-Turn I'm out of the saddle and hitting it hard. Later I shift gear and I'm actually out of the saddle again as I am getting close to the camera. It just did not show up very well.
    Accelerating out of the saddle is not sprinting and bridges are not climbs.

You really need to have truly strong and fast riders (racers) to test these. I think their results would shock you.
    I answer to no one but myself

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
    What are your plans going forward? Are you seriously thinking about a production run?
    As far as right now, we are not really planning on producing them ourselves. We'd like to find a company in the US and offer them either the patent or the rights to produce the item and just get some sort of small royalty check if possible. Not trying to get rich, just trying to have some fun.

Quote Originally Posted by GKSki View Post
    I understand what you mean, and we do not know much about all the official race rules. But one thing that I can tell you, if they will allow an open unprotected front chain ring that already has cut my partner fairly badly, I would think that they would allow a blunt object vs a jagged sharp chain ring.

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Accelerating out of the saddle is not sprinting and bridges are not climbs.

You really need to have truly strong and fast riders (racers) to test these. I think their results would shock you.
    By any chance do you know any professional riders that would be known around the country as a common name, that we could send a set to and get their feedback?

Also with all of this talk, that we do appreciate. Something has slipped my mind which I can't believe. The pedals that we have shown you videos of, are retrofittable onto any bike shoe. But our patent includes our own shoe, that would make these pedals virtually like a sneaker. You'd be walking on the shoe only and the pedal would not touch the ground. This picture is just generated by our computer guy as one potential design and color.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Pedal-shoe.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018
    One thing that I want to make clear to everyone, that I probably did not earlier. Is my partner in crime here, is an engineer and has a full CNC machine shop. That is why when I keep trying to tell everyone that this pedal holds unless you turn your heel, it really does hold. Just saying.

Nouveau Retrogrouch
    At this point you do not need a well know Pro to use and endorse your pedal. Experienced top level local racers can provide valuable feedback.
    Don't know any? Go to your LBS. Ask.
    I answer to no one but myself

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    As far as right now, we are not really planning on producing them ourselves. We'd like to find a company in the US and offer them either the patent or the rights to produce the item
    You actually have a patent on these? Or have applied for a patent?
    I find it hard to believe you'd get a patent given that these are very similar in concept to several other pedals, which likely have patented the spindle concept.

By any chance do you know any professional riders that would be known around the country as a common name, that we could send a set to and get their feedback?
    You may want to find a local unknown racer to do that. I doubt you'll get the positive feedback you think you'd get. And getting negative feedback from a well know professional would be the kiss of death.

This picture is just generated by our computer guy as one potential design and color.

Tell your computer guy he needs to study closer the relationship between the spindle and foot. He's at least an inch off and it looks super wonky pedaling with your toes.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    As far as right now, we are not really planning on producing them ourselves. We'd like to find a company in the US and offer them either the patent or the rights to produce the item and just get some sort of small royalty check if possible. Not trying to get rich, just trying to have some fun.

I understand what you mean, and we do not know much about all the official race rules. But one thing that I can tell you, if they will allow an open unprotected front chain ring that already has cut my partner fairly badly, I would think that they would allow a blunt object vs a jagged sharp chain ring.

Also with all of this talk, that we do appreciate. Something has slipped my mind which I can't believe. The pedals that we have shown you videos of, are retrofittable onto any bike shoe. But our patent includes our own shoe, that would make these pedals virtually like a sneaker. You'd be walking on the shoe only and the pedal would not touch the ground. This picture is just generated by our computer guy as one potential design and color.
    I think you need to consider how drastically that would shrink and already small potential market. A large percentage of people simply would not fit in your shoes unless you made a ton of different widths, arch support ect. And another percentage of people would choose pedals knowing it forced them into a certain shoe even if that shoe happened to fit.

Of course shoes IN ADDITION to cleats alone would take care of the shunken market thing. But then I think you'd sink a lot of money into making shoes you wouldn't sell.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018
    I do appreciate it, I just would like to send it to some well known person and get a thumbs up or down from someone with a recognizable name.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    I think you are way off base comparing the danger of your spindle to a chainring. I've had my back ridden up by a chainring in a race crash and that's nothing like the organ piercing damage your spindle could cause. That and the fact that the 2 dangers lie in different planes. The chainring is only a danger front to back whereas the pedal spindle would come into play in any side to side crash.

Your design concept has merit, but I am just saying that the spindle is too narrow, too pointed, too dangerous. Besides the UCI, even the CPSC could have some issues with it.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I do appreciate it, I just would like to send it to some well known person and get a thumbs up or down from someone with a recognizable name.
    Why on earth would you want a thumbs down from a recognizable name?

Why wouldn't you do your R & D with someone local?
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast