Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: New Pedal

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitbull Pedal View Post
    The video makes it look like was only going for 50 yards, he was actually 2 or 3 hundred yards away coming toward the camera. The dude is strong!
    Okay, you've crossed into the territory of ludicrous. It's clear from the video that it only takes about 4 seconds for your friend to pass the camera after he starts "sprinting." If he had covered 200-300 yds in that 4 seconds, he would have an average speed of 100-150 mph. Also, he is on his small chain ring and completes fewer than 10 full revolutions of the pedals, so he would, at best, cover 25-30 yds. during his sprint.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    OMG... he was "sprinting" in the small chainring. Bwahahahahaha!!

Quote Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
    Okay, you've crossed into the territory of ludicrous. It's clear from the video that it only takes about 4 seconds for your friend to pass the camera after he starts "sprinting." If he had covered 200-300 yds in that 4 seconds, he would have an average speed of 100-150 mph. Also, he is on his small chain ring and completes fewer than 10 full revolutions of the pedals, so he would, at best, cover 25-30 yds. during his sprint.
    I counted 10 revolutions.
    Assuming a 39T small chainring: Best case scenario with an 11T cog = 7.4 Meters Development. About 74 meters / 80 yards.

But it looks like he's more in the middle of the cassette, so maybe a 16T. Which is 5.1 Meters Development. About 51 meters / 55 yards.

If we assume 200yrds and I counted 5 seconds. That's 480ft/s.... or 327mph. HOLY S#!T.... the dude is strong.
    If it was 300 yards.... 490mph.

Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Assuming a 39T small chainring: Best case scenario with an 11T cog = 7.4 Meters Development. About 74 meters / 80 yards.
    Yes. (I forgot my pi.)

If we assume 200yrds and I counted 5 seconds. That's 480ft/s.... or 327mph. HOLY S#!T.... the dude is strong.
    I think you're x4 too high. Either way, crazy speeds.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I think you're x4 too high. Either way, crazy speeds.
    Oops. right. 200rds/5sec = 120ft/s = 81mph.

Ok, it's not ludicrous. Roger just has crazy speed.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by siclmn View Post
    I had pedals just like those 20 years ago. They were called Aerolite pedals. They were the lightest pedals in existence. The cleat was different though. The only thing I didn't like was the fact that they had no float and you say yours don't either. That kills it for me.
    I had just posted a video of one with 5 degrees of float, which I personally don't like but it is easy to achieve.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018
    I never did all the math on it, I just know he rode up the street, made a U-turn and came back. The next video with Roger and I will both be in a full sprint, in the same gear, and I'll step off 300 yards minimum.

OMG... he was "sprinting" in the small chainring. Bwahahahahaha!!

I counted 10 revolutions.

But it looks like he's more in the middle of the cassette, so maybe a 16T. Which is 5.1 Meters Development. About 51 meters / 55 yards.

I'm super impressed with your calculations, I really never went to that extreme like I said above. He just went up the street made a U-turn at a given point, I just held the camera and shot the video. The total mistake I made, was just unfortunately that I was showing watts and not in a sprint. We'll have an all out sprint, hopefully the camera will capture what you need to see.

Oops. right. 200rds/5sec = 120ft/s = 81mph.

Ok, it's not ludicrous. Roger just has crazy speed.
    Sorry for the mass confusion, I guesstimated the distance as I was looking through the camera. Next time I'll get it stepped off 300yrds. We'll both sprint in the same gear, etc.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sorry for the mass confusion, I guesstimated the distance as I was looking through the camera. Next time I'll get it stepped off 300yrds. We'll both sprint in the same gear, etc.
    Stop obsessing on distance. It's IRRELEVANT. Most people aren't going to go all out for 300yrds.

Standing all out sprint is all that matters.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    I am having a really hard time believing that seated small chain ring "effort" was anywhere near 1300 watts.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018
    First of all I still appreciate everyone's input. Other people have mentioned that they had wanted longer distances, you personally want to see just out of the saddle all out sprint for any distance, just trying to do my best to show what I can about the pedals. Honestly, they do work very well. If you are some sort of erratic rider and you have a tendency to wiggle your heels when you are sprinting, then these pedals may not work for you as they're meant to come out when you cock your heel outward. We do not seem to have a problem with it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by crit_boy View Post
    I am having a really hard time believing that seated small chain ring "effort" was anywhere near 1300 watts.
    All that I can tell you is he zero'd everything out before we started it. He simply went up the street slowly, turned around and hammered it coming back, and the results posted are what his Garmin read.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Hey everyone. I just wanted to gather some opinions on this new bike pedal that we've come up with. I have a couple videos attached to show everyone how good it works. Just like everyone, I'm just trying to come up with a better product, this one just happens to be a bike pedal. As I would frequently miss clipping into my other pedals while riding in a group, with this you're gonna get in virtually 100% of the time. Let me know what everyone thinks, please don't judge too harshly. I'm not sure if there was a different areas that I should of posted this.

https://youtu.be/BGNeS1imdJ0
    https://youtu.be/_w868IfOxVM
    https://youtu.be/BtvTbTSusjA
    I am the first to applaud innovation. With some modification this could have some application in certain kinds of racing--possibly.

Consider that it would be a very small market in a small part of cycling. Further consider, that most non poseurs use mountain bike shoes on both of their bikes (road and mtb) because they ride in places where being able to walk or hike-a-bike is important. Also, you may want to grab some food at a restaurant on the top of a pass in much of Europe.

With carbon soles, hot spots that were caused by pedals such as egg beaters are a thing of the past. MTB pedals are lighter, the shoes more functional, and you won't piss off the propriator of stores and restaurants. The shoes are a bit heavier.

Don't feel discouraged, even shimanos road cleats are short lived crap.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    All that I can tell you is he zero'd everything out before we started it. He simply went up the street slowly, turned around and hammered it coming back, and the results posted are what his Garmin read.
    Show his Garmin data. I bet it looks like this. Which would make 1300w meaningless.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    I am also a bit leery of your friend's data. If he can sprint at 1500 W (as he claims), he could out sprint a lot of professional riders. As a reference point, here is data from Andre Greipel's winning sprint in Stage 6 of the Tour Down Under:

New Pedal-greipel.jpg
    Last edited by tomato coupe; 03-07-2018 at 04:08 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018
    I am also a bit leery of your friend's data. If he can sprint at 1500 W (as he claims), he could out sprint a lot of professional riders. As a reference point, here is data from Andre Greipel's winning sprint in Stage 6 of the Tour Down Under:

Attachment 322048
    As far as Roger, I can only see what comes up on his Garmin. I'm going to make 1 more video with him and I sprinting out of the saddle, hopefully the camera will show this well. But I have seen his Garmin in the 14-1500 range when he sprints. It is just a max effort and then he slows down. I don't believe that he could hold that many watts for hundreds of meters. Next video should be a good clean video.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    As far as Roger, I can only see what comes up on his Garmin. I'm going to make 1 more video with him and I sprinting out of the saddle, hopefully the camera will show this well. But I have seen his Garmin in the 14-1500 range when he sprints. It is just a max effort and then he slows down. I don't believe that he could hold that many watts for hundreds of meters. Next video should be a good clean video.
    The big difference is your friend is accelerating from a very slow speed and once he reaches his 'sprint' speed he backs off. A pro sprinter will be producing roughly those watts but from 35mph and they'll be hitting low-mid 40's and holding it for a couple hundred meters.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    The big difference is your friend is accelerating from a very slow speed and once he reaches his 'sprint' speed he backs off. A pro sprinter will be producing roughly those watts but from 35mph and they'll be hitting low-mid 40's and holding it for a couple hundred meters.
    Can’t really blame roger, he surely doesn’t want to do a real sprint and slip off that protruding rod and get badly injured.

This is getting silly and dangerous!

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    If you are some sort of erratic rider and you have a tendency to wiggle your heels when you are sprinting, then these pedals may not work for you as they're meant to come out when you cock your heel outward.
    That's how all pedals work.

But the difference is other pedals have a physical lock to prevent lateral movement of your foot. Yours does not. You don't have to be an erratic rider to produce side forces. Everybody does it.

You already showed in your video that your cleat only holds 25lbs (gently). And claim in your video "there's no way you're going to create any kind of outward pressure to make that slip off". Well physics disagrees with you.
    A 200lb rider standing on a pedal, while rocking the bike 20° will produce a lateral force of 68lbs. 68lbs is significantly higher than 25lbs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018
    This is amazing. I love how smart you appear to be, to work all of this out with the math is truly cool. We'll see what happens when we do a long sprint at max power.

Not a rocket surgeon.
    This is amazing. I love how smart you appear to be, to work all of this out with the math is truly cool. We'll see what happens when we do a long sprint at max power.
    Well............ do it then.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Look...you come here and post about your 'next big thing'. You want to know what people think. You get what ends up at this point being a 144 post thread, w/ a lot of people giving their opinion, most end up being negative. Lots of reasons why. Then tlg shows up w/ some actual numbers that show you're going to have a problem and your 'numbers' don't really work in the real world. And you get pissy. What a great comeback:

"I love how smart you appear to be, to work all of this out with the math is truly cool".

Get a clue, they don't call them The Laws of Physics for nothing.
    Last edited by cxwrench; 03-07-2018 at 07:41 PM.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks, I do think I'm pretty smart, but that.... that's literally 9th grade algebra.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Thanks, I do think I'm pretty smart, but that.... that's literally 9th grade algebra.
    Actually, I think it's tenth grade trigonometry.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ogre View Post
    Actually, I think it's tenth grade trigonometry.
    Could be. Could also be covered in physical science or physics or calculus. I thing Geometry too.

But definitely algebra.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_algebra

gazing from the shadows
    I just wanted to gather some opinions on this new bike pedal that we've come up with.
    I am soooooo glad you did not JUST gather opinions. That would have been far less amusing.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018
    I tried to listen to everyone, gather their opinion and try to answer the best that I could. I'm going to hold off for a while until I can get Roger and I to make the sprint video and see what happens after that.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast