RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013

New rider looking for an affordable road bike with a rear rack

Hey everyone! First time on here, and I'd love some good advice.

Five years ago I became the proud and loving owner of a gorgeous blue and white 56in Trek 2.1 road bike. Three years ago it was stolen, and I haven't ridden a single mile since that day. I was pretty beat up about it.

I'm now entirely out of shape, but I feel the urge to ride again. My requirements, as I see them, are simple:

• I want a light bike
    • It needs to be able to support 215lbs (I'm a fatty now...)
    • I would like to carry a small laptop bag on it somewhere, most likely on a rear rack.
    • I want the dropdown handlebars.

I'm thinking of buying my 2.1 again, but I'm not sure I'm ready for that kind of investment. Also, I'm fairly sure there's no way to carry a laptop on it. Looking around, I found the Trek CrossRip, which looked promising.

Expert riders, what do you think?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    How tall are you?

Cranky Old Bastard
    I'm not an expert but love my new CrossRip.

At 215 you're not that big but the the disc brakes will be an advantage and the 32-spoke 3-cross wheels should be more reliable than the super-light radial setups the road bikes usually come with today.

The 80psi tires are rugged, roll well and a good choice for your weight (when compared to 23s).

Depending on your level of fitness and the climbs in your area you may appreciate the triple chainrings on the cheaper model.

I've not done it yet this year but plan to carry my 17" laptop with me to the library and coffee shop.
    I can't see myself strapping it on top of the rack; it's huge and I wonder how it would handle the vibration over time.
    I'm adding a waist strap to the carrying case and will wear it on my back like a messenger bag. Many others buy a backpack.

Hey, another idea just popped into my head: I think I'll try mounting the computer case to the side of the rack like a pannier.
    The computer is pretty heavy, though, I'll have to come up with a strong mount.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks for your replies! I'm right around 5' 11" to 6ft, depending on the day. The CrossRip does sound like a nice idea, but are there other bikes that do better for the money? I'm not completely attached to trek if there's something better.

Cranky Old Bastard
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyko View Post
    The CrossRip does sound like a nice idea, but are there other bikes that do better for the money? I'm not completely attached to trek if there's something better.
    When I walked into the LBS in December I wasn't even remotely considering buying a new bike. I saw the CrossRip and really liked it, then mulled it over for two weeks before I bought mine.

I'm just back into cycling after a 20-year layoff. I retired last fall and needed something like cycling to fill my time and addiction to addictions.

The CrossRip is the perfect bike for me and my budget. I'll be riding mostly roads but gravel and paved rail-trails, some light singletrack and even loaded touring. This one bike will do all those things pretty well, especially after I build a set of dedicated road wheels and can switch them depending on where I'll be riding.

The only comparison shopping I was able to do was at a Specialized/Giant dealer 30 miles away. They don't have a cross bike with disc brakes and triple chainrings for $1K. I researched some of the other big names online and didn't find anything I liked more than the Trek.

I really wanted disc brakes and now that I've ridden them I'll never go back.

Some here bash on Trek but I can't find any fault with mine and don't have a single complaint. I've gone over every inch of it and the paint and finish are flawless, the welds are perfect, the frame alignment couldn't be better. The component parts aren't the best but you can't expect better at this low price point.

I could have saved with a Bikesdirect bike, and there may be some model out there (that I'm not aware of) that is a better deal but I really wanted to support my local dealership. I've known and liked the owner for decades and finally got around to buying a bike from him.
    His service has been great; he perfectly setup and adjusted the bike and my cleats and that's worth a lot to me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    What city are you in? What kind of weather do you want to be able to ride in? What kind of riding do you plan to do? Daily to work? Three or four times a week to a cafe? Regular daily transportation? How many miles each day/way? 25 mile club rides every Saturday? Don't mind wearing cycling specific clothes or prefer street clothes? This is in addition to or a replacement for a car? Transit? Walking?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    The best deal on a road bike, that's not an online buy, has decent components, drop handlebars, and rack eyelets, is the GT Corsa 1.0.
    www.gtbicycles.com/2013/bikes/road/performance/corsa-1-0/

Otherwise I'd go with Bikesdirect's Motobecane Grand Record.

* The abilty to accelerate and manuever, has more to do with the combined weight of the rider and the bicycle together, moreso than just the weight of the bike, itself. Therefore, the desire to own or ride a light bike should pale in comparison to the cyclist's desire to increase muscle mass and reduce fat reserves.

Just get a good road bike and ride. If it feels comfortable and you like the way it feels while you're cycling, then that's the bike you want, regardless as to what is weighs, if you're not racing. The bike that feels good and provides the needed services, is a good bike!

Get cross lever brakes for your cycling convenience...
    Name:  cross-lever-brakes-imagesCAIFCAB2.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  10.5 KB
    Last edited by Zeet; 05-01-2013 at 10:56 AM.