Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

I have the same questions

I am new to riding and this forum. Thank for posting you question. I have learned a lot from this thread. I will post my info as well as I figure it out

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I am 5'7 175lbs ride a 52" frame. Also Iphone 4 and cyclemeter estimate is 700 plus or minus per hour on calories burned

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    my wife is 5 ft 6..maybe 5 ft 7 and rides a 54 im 5 ft 10 on a 56 i dont have any riding experience other than this so i dont know if we are fitted properly. But, we were fitted at the local bike shop and i trust their advice. i bought my bike from the same exact person i bought my first real bike from when i saved up for one as a kid. you just can't beat that with a stick

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2011
    BMC sizes are weird. I'm 6'4 and ride a 60cm on most makes, but with BMC I ride a 57. He might actually be on the right sized BMC.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks for the info guys,
    I never knew that a simple question would have so many answers.
    I guess there is no exact way to tell how many calories your burning.
    I'm gonna start with a good priced HRM not just to tell me how many calories I'm burning but to let me know where my heart rate is at. This should help me push a little harder if I see it normalizing a little.

& yes, to all of you who think I picked the wrong size...

BMC's sizes are bigger then the norm.

Remember I'm not a professional or seem to think I know what I am talking about, but after re-searching for almost a month & confirming thru several sites (including this one) & of course thru a few local shops, 54 was the perfect size for me; On the BMC of course, if it was another brand, the size would of been different. I'm sure a 55 BMC or maybe a 56 BMC would of also worked, but I feel comfortable with the 54.

THANKS AGAIN to you all for confusing me a little more (just kidding )
    This forum is full of win!!!

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I have a completely anal friend who researched this to death and concluded that the burn rate is 40 calories per mile, on average. That kind of lines up with what others here have said. A 16 mph ride for an hour would be around 650 calories.

RoadBikeReview Member
    If you just want a rough guideline, then 600 calories an hour is a good baseline for a hour ride. A little less if you are going easy, more if you are going hard. You will rarely exceed 800 calories an hour unless you are pushing right at your threshold the whole time (which is tough).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    +1 on 40 cal per mile - on average. I have a food/exercise diary app (Lose It!) on my iPhone that seems to over-estimate the calorie burn.

Moderatus Puisne

Accuracy.

There IS a very accurate way of calculating your calories burned on a ride: A torque-based powermeter. This will tell you total kilojoules used on a ride. Since a calorie ~4.18 joules, every 1,000 kilojoules of power would be ~250 kilocalories used.

But, conveniently, a human being is biomechanically around 25% efficient -- and studies show that this changes very, very little between humans (as opposed to, say, VO2max, which changes a lot.)

So, if you read your powermeter's total kJ used, you'll get kCal ("Calories," in food) almost exactly.

Close enough for the government, anyway.

Yours truly's average commute is 25 miles, almost exactly 90 minutes, and I burn about 800-900 kCal doing so. This is at a fairly moderate pace.

A big ride I did last weekend was 5.5 hours, and burned nearly 5,000 kCal. This was the hardest pace I could maintain for the duration.

Heart-rate-based calculators are nearly useless -- IME they overestimate by a LOT. The 60% figure mentioned below does not seem out of line.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Another wrong number

Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    I have a completely anal friend who researched this to death and concluded that the burn rate is 40 calories per mile, on average. That kind of lines up with what others here have said. A 16 mph ride for an hour would be around 650 calories.
    Calories per mile depends on pace. On the flats, a 180 lb rider will burn about 25 calories per mile at 17 mph, and 40 calories per mile at 23 mph (16 calories per km at 27 km/hr, 25 calories per km at 37 km/hr). Your completely anal friend either didn't do his research well or didn't explain it to you correctly.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I use cyclemeter, to work out how much breakfast I can have when i get home

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12