Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

new rival to Zwift - free beta VirtuGo

might want to save on my Zwift subscript for rest of winter. This virtual riding/training world looks nicer than Zwift, to my eyes

free beta period now on
    VIRTUGO

Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    might want to save on my Zwift subscript for rest of winter. This virtual riding/training world looks nicer than Zwift, to my eyes

free beta period now on
    VIRTUGO

I sent in my request for a free beta trial a while ago and have not heard back. I dont see much activity in their forum. I think the question will be what are they going to offer that will cause Zwift users to switch? That may be an uphill battle

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    I think the question will be what are they going to offer that will cause Zwift users to switch?
    Probably price. I know a lot of people who are irritated at the $15 price increase.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Probably price. I know a lot of people who are irritated at the $15 price increase.
    It took Zwift a long time to get where is it now. Unless they can do it a lot faster I don't see how they take away Zwift or Trainerroad market share without having something that is demonstrably better. I am interested to try it out but it appears that the roads are very limited at this time

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Yep.

That and zwift has gotten kind of crazy. Or maybe just the users have...

RoadBikeReview Member
    I just do pre-designed workouts on Zwift. which means I have to ignore all the other riders on there, the smart trainer goes to the set watts for the interval and sticks there no matter what. It's always kind of awkward trying to match other riders' speed on Zwift imho, more annoying than real riding

maybe I should try Suffefest which m wife uses. more training focused and the videos are of real pro races in interesting places
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    I just do pre-designed workouts on Zwift. which means I have to ignore all the other riders on there, the smart trainer goes to the set watts for the interval and sticks there no matter what. It's always kind of awkward trying to match other riders' speed on Zwift imho, more annoying than real riding

maybe I should try Suffefest which m wife uses. more training focused and the videos are of real pro races in interesting places
    If you are more interested in structured workouts and dont care for the Zwift multi-user aspect, I would think TrainerRoad is a better fit.

I love to climb!
    I've only had one ride on virtugo so far. It is ok, but has a long way to go to catch up to zwift. Of course, zwift has had a couple years head start, so I guess we'll see. I might do a ride on it occasionally, but zwift is where I'll go for 90+% of my indoor riding for the time being.

Graphics for the new road grand tours and virtugo are very similar to each other. I prefer Zwift graphics, though.
    Stop in at Element Sports. www.elementsport.com
    Get Out! Have Fun!

RoadBikeReview Member
    If you are more interested in structured workouts and dont care for the Zwift multi-user aspect, I would think TrainerRoad is a better fit.
    Or just use your cycling computer - I think most of the more recent ones will enable programmed/structured rides on a smart trainer, Garmins do anyway.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    they'll have to over-come the social media hurdle. zwift has a large user base and gets free publicity over strava

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hard to tell from that video but early graphics seem slightly better than zwift, better textures etc, lighting and shadows. Graphics can be pointless if it doesn't provide the workouts that zwift includes but I would think those would be easy to implement.

That grand tours one mentioned is the most intriguing by having actual grand tour locations but seems to have the worst graphics of the three. It would be awesome if Zwift included actual locations like that while improving its graphics engine to more closely match modern pc games instead of its current extremely dated graphics.

Think this but with bicycles:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxftTXJSVVE

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    I requested an invite but was told to wait until the next batch. Oh, well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I like zwift but my biggest complaint is the slowness in adding new roads. If this app could improve the pace that would be of interest

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    The problem with "better graphics" is that they require a higher spec computer to run it.

Zwift intentionally keeps system requirements low to reduce the cost of entry.

Zwift will run on an Apple TV, an iPad, iPhone, and soon Android devices.

It's a solid strategy for their target demographic.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Finx View Post
    The problem with "better graphics" is that they require a higher spec computer to run it.

Agree, but its also a lot of devices to support. Based on all the posts on Zwift Support, this last update broke things for the lower end Apple devices. I never heard back from Virtugo so I assume that have been inundated with Beta requests

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finx View Post

I understand the reasoning completely, and it makes sense business wise but it doesn’t make it any less disappointing when you have a pc that is capable of much better visuals.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2016
    I've been accepted as a beta tester and was so excited I quit zwift. Then I realized virtugo requires a controllable smart trainer to use it.

I have a kurt kinetic with inride (smart but not controllable) trainer and a couple power meters, but I can't use virtugo with a power meter only. That sucks. So I went back to zwift.
    I like to ride fast.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by marathonrunner View Post
    I've been accepted as a beta tester and was so excited I quit zwift. Then I realized virtugo requires a controllable smart trainer to use it.

I have a kurt kinetic with inride (smart but not controllable) trainer and a couple power meters, but I can't use virtugo with a power meter only. That sucks. So I went back to zwift.
    I submitted my request weeks ago and never heard back. I have been using Rouvy a lot more lately just because I am getting tired of the same Zwift roads.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2016
    I submitted my request weeks ago and never heard back. I have been using Rouvy a lot more lately just because I am getting tired of the same Zwift roads.
    There's a long waiting list. I submitted my request to join in December. They're already working out bugs with the few thousand people on there now, they don't want to add more people, since they have a small team.
    I like to ride fast.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    There's a long waiting list. I submitted my request to join in December. They're already working out bugs with the few thousand people on there now, they don't want to add more people, since they have a small team.
    That makes sense. However, at this pace, its hard to see that they will be in a position to complete with Zwift anytime soon. Seems like a long shot to me

I love to climb!
    I don't really get where everyone is seeing better graphics than zwift. Oon my pc, zwift is much better. Just ride Willunga yesterday, things popping up out of nowhere, bison that look liked bushes that changed color as I passed, it was kinda weird. And a landscape that was pretty boring and not realistic looking when it seemed to be trying to be so. (The boring part may just be how that area is irl,I doing know).

It's certainly not bad, but it has a long way to go.
    Stop in at Element Sports. www.elementsport.com
    Get Out! Have Fun!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2016
    It does have a long way to go, but remember that zwift also had an extensive beta testing period (jarvis island) and a larger team. Seems like virtugo is committed to getting it off the ground and have committed sponsors already. They're hiring another person right now.

I think it'll take a few months to be a viable alternative to zwift. I'm hoping I can switch before my zwift price increases in November 2018 and think that seems probable.
    I like to ride fast.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    It does have a long way to go, but remember that zwift also had an extensive beta testing period (jarvis island) and a larger team. Seems like virtugo is committed to getting it off the ground and have committed sponsors already. They're hiring another person right now.

I think it'll take a few months to be a viable alternative to zwift. I'm hoping I can switch before my zwift price increases in November 2018 and think that seems probable.
    Seems like its going to take more than a couple of months to compete with Zwift. Assuming this thing does take off, what makes you think it will be cheaper than Zwift once the investors start wanting some return on their money?
    Last edited by DaveG; 03-09-2018 at 09:09 AM.

jkc
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Still waiting on my invite and hope by November also. I'm curious to see what their training plans look like and hope it more substantial than what's on Zwift. Also I hope they adopt an ad hoc user initiated group ride feature instead of following Zwift's heavy hand approach. Incorporating the basic understanding of power. Zwift fails on the fundamental level (e.g. calling the power duration curve as critical power curve, assigning FTP as 95% of 20 min MMP, etc). The tri focus needs to go.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2016
    Seems like its going to take more than a couple of months to compete with Zwift. Assuming this thing does take off, what makes you think it will be cheaper than Zwift once the investors start wanting some return on their money?
    I don't think it will be cheaper than zwift. But this fits in between zwift and trainer road. More workouts and plans. I think 15 bucks a month for zwift is pretty fair too.
    I like to ride fast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast