Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009

New Road Bike Magazine Needed

I think it is time for a new biking magazine. There is no end of discussion about the latest carbon fiber wonder made in Taiwan and labeled as (Pick a Name). I am a bit nostalgic for the days when Italian bikes were Italian, American likewise American and so on. I think from this site there is more than enough interest in older bikes to support a magazine focused on cycling history, vintage bikes and subject matter related to bikes and biking with an arbitrary start date of 1999 or earlier. I define 1999 as the critical year because it is the last year that I am certain a steel bike was ridden by a professional team. (Kelme, Gios)

I want to make it clear I am not a steal is real type. I love all road bikes. I am just tired of being sold on the latest and greatest. I also believe we will see a developing after market of parts to support older bikes such as quil stems. Does anyone agree?

Lexicon Devil
    There's already one about that. It's called Rouleur.

Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

Banned forever.....or not
    Meh, I'd rather be ridin' than readin'.

PS I ride a modern American made steel frame bike. I also race said bike.
    My backup bikes are a Taiwan made aluminum bike and an Italian made steel bike.
    It's not my concern what other people ride or race.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

West Virginia Cyclist
    I saw bicycle times at my grocery store. It was boring but not all about the lightest and the fastest. It's worth picking up an issue.
    There are cyclists in West Virginia??!! Really? - Check it Out @ WVCYCLING

Master of my Domain
    I like the stories and articles in Road and VeloNews. I'm a noob tho.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    cbk57, I totally agree with you. I have not picked up a road bike magazine for years, just because of what you mentioned. I wish I new more about the days when a Masi was made in Italy, and a Motobecane was made in France, and would love to read about them in small doses. It would be cool to see resto projects too. Commuting articles, single speed articles, and tips for the average rider. I also like seeing new bikes with a vintage look, or mixing old with new. For instance the 2010 Specialized Allez Double Steel. I think that thing is just plain cool with its downtube shifters and all. Sure, it is screaming for some upgrades, but I am a gearhead, and that is part of the fun.

Bicycle Quarterly looks great, to bad it isnt monthly. I guess quality of the read is better then the quantity.

Baltic Scum
    BicycleTimes will, despite the negative assessment above, fit the bill for you. It is written by the same crowd that is in charge of DirtRag.
    I enjoyed the first two issues and will subscribe soon.

http://www.bicycletimesmag.com/
    Was juckt es die stolze Eiche, wenn sich ein Schwein an ihr kratzt?

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by seeborough
    BicycleTimes will, despite the negative assessment above, fit the bill for you. It is written by the same crowd that is in charge of DirtRag.
    I enjoyed the first two issues and will subscribe soon.

http://www.bicycletimesmag.com/

me too....Bicycle Times is a good read
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hickey
    me too....Bicycle Times is a good read
    me three.

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

Beetpull DeLite
    Bicycling is a pretty good read.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    rouleur, www.rouleur.cc is the only one that cuts it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    Print media is passe. All the print magazines are being driven out of business by the internet. Witness: Gourmet magazine just folded.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GirchyGirchy
    Bicycling is a pretty good read.
    No, it really isn't.

Put the latest 'Lose 10 pounds FAST!' article in a blender with 'the latest carbon fiber uber bike' review/ad, and a tiny smattering of racing news, newest fad product hype, a few very surface-level, super-brief reviews, etc., and you have the latest oh-so-generic issue of Bicycling. It's the Reader's Digest of cycling.

Fail, and it's been a fail for many years now. But, on the up side, it does make excellent birdcage liner.

Haven't really seen a good cycling mag since the old Bicycle Guide back in the '90s. But I admit I haven't really read some of the suggestions in this thread (aside from Vintage Bicycle Press)... might give that a try.

RoadBikeReview Member
    starting a new magazine is the best way to get a crash course in bankruptcy law...

banned
    The aforementioned bicycle quarterly is good. Somewhat skeptical of the value of many "innovations" like brifters and dual pivot brakes, but not afraid of modern tech when it works. Almost completely focused towards Randonneurs and Rando-wannabees like me.

Cycling Plus from the UK has decent, well thought out reviews and at least one article about historic bikes/riders per issue.

As for new parts for older bikes, there's Rivendell (though they cater to a very specific market) and Velo-Orange (who seem to get that occasionally you might want to pick up the pace).

Nitto still makes good quill stems (their Pearl stem is the equal of any forged stem) And Sugino makes some decent square taper cranks. There's a new square taper bottom bracket out of germany that's supposed to be good for 50,000 miles without service...

Stuff's out there. you've just got to know where to look.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009

Bicycle Guide

I remember bicycle guide. It was by far my favorite. I remember it was where I first read about the IF Crown Jewel. It made me want a steel custom. I really missed it when it went away.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by buck-50
    The aforementioned bicycle quarterly is good. Somewhat skeptical of the value of many "innovations" like brifters and dual pivot brakes, but not afraid of modern tech when it works. Almost completely focused towards Randonneurs and Rando-wannabees like me.

Cycling Plus from the UK has decent, well thought out reviews and at least one article about historic bikes/riders per issue.
    I agree on both counts. I enjoy BQ a lot. Sometimes I feel their test opinions are a bit harsh, but then it's refreshing to read a test that isn't 100% gush for the product.

I love Cycling+ and really need to break down and subscribe as I can't always find a copy. It's what I wish Bicycling magazine was: News, well written (longer than 1/2 a page) bike tests or shootouts, component tests and comparsions, fitness/nutrition, clothes, and the best for last: Awesome write-ups of bike trips you can take (in the UK since it's English).

I love to plop down on the couch with a beer and enjoy a copy of C+.

Chris

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    I just happened to see a Bicycle Times, at the book store, so I picked it up. I liked it, and will be subscribing for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by daveloving
    Print media is passe. All the print magazines are being driven out of business by the internet. Witness: Gourmet magazine just folded.
    And that makes me sad.

I hate reading bike stuff (aside from message boards) online. I hate reading anything online, actually. I like words printed on paper. Archaic perhaps, but that's the way I roll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by PlatyPius
    And that makes me sad.

I hate reading bike stuff (aside from message boards) online. I hate reading anything online, actually. I like words printed on paper. Archaic perhaps, but that's the way I roll.
    I could not agree more. Sure, I read a lot on the internet, but it is not the same to relaxing with your feet up, and reading the paper, or reading a book in bed. I can surf the web for parts and bike stuff with the best of them, but you give me a catalog, or a magazine, and I will memorize it.

I also keep all of my books and most of my magazines. Especially for reference. I cant tell you how many times, I have bought a used car, or motorcycle, and I have had a magazine that had the test article for it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by stevesbike
    starting a new magazine is the best way to get a crash course in bankruptcy law...
    Too true. Once upon a time in a far away land (1990s Tokyo) I founded/published/edited a music and art magazine and though it was fun to do and really rewarding to receive good feedback from the readers and musicians, it was a total financial disaster!

trying to HTFU...
    as an aside, why do so many magazines(Road Bike Action, Road) have such sh!tty grammar and spelling? can they not afford a proof-reader? i'm like Bruce Willis' character in Fifth Dimension, "I only know English and Bad English", but sheesh, sometimes i think these writers need to go back to elementary school to brush up on the basics...
    Improving on self-torture for more than 3.6^2 years.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008
    http://www.theridejournal.com/index.html this , rouleur, and embrocation are about all that i know of.

Quote Originally Posted by e39540is
    I could not agree more. Sure, I read a lot on the internet, but it is not the same to relaxing with your feet up, and reading the paper, or reading a book in bed. I can surf the web for parts and bike stuff with the best of them, but you give me a catalog, or a magazine, and I will memorize it.

I also keep all of my books and most of my magazines. Especially for reference. I cant tell you how many times, I have bought a used car, or motorcycle, and I have had a magazine that had the test article for it.
    I have just under 3000 books, and almost every magazine I've ever bought. Recently I've been entertaining myself by re-reading Bicycling magazine from 1982, 1986, and 1992. I giggled at a Performance bicycle ad......featuring Lance Armstrong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast