Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Summer Kit

RoadBikeReview Member

New Summer Kit

Having taken the cautious approach to my first season of riding, there was little in the way of apparel/equipment purchased last summer. Now that the bug has firmly entrenched itself in me, I went ahead and bought some proper gear for the upcoming months. Of note, I purchased a pair of PI In-R-Cool bibs, a Giro Savant helmet and 2 PI jerseys, an Attack and Elite Pursuit. Of the latter, I'm not sure which I will like for my body type as I have heard the Elites are for slim folks and I am a somewhat muscular 6'2" 220 (and I'm sure I'll be down to 210 by July ). Also picked up a bigger water bottle, some socks and a CO2 canister. I already have a multi-tool, spare tube, repair kit, hand pump and saddle bag to keep it all in.

Any recommendations beyond what I named? What do you guys typically purchase before the start of a new season?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Wetworks View Post
    Any recommendations beyond what I named? What do you guys typically purchase before the start of a new season?
    I try buying at the close of the season (looking for a deal).
    Sounds as if you are off to a good start though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Really good start! About the only thing I might add would be some sunglasses as it really keeps the bugs, dust and sun out of the eyes.

Forgot to add gloves, helps with grip on bars when sweaty and cushioning.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    . I already have a multi-tool, spare tube, repair kit, hand pump and saddle bag to keep it all in.
    I didn't have these a few weeks ago. About seven miles out I hit a either a sharp rock or piece of concrete under a bridge overpass. Flatened both tires. Luckily I had my phone and was able to call for a ride. I have these now.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Carverbiker View Post
    Really good start! About the only thing I might add would be some sunglasses as it really keeps the bugs, dust and sun out of the eyes.

Forgot to add gloves, helps with grip on bars when sweaty and cushioning.
    I have a nice pair of glasses from last year, forgot to mention them (and probably a few other things, too!).

I was considering gloves; I upgraded my grips to Ergon GP3s, so I was wondering if I should even bother with the gel-type gloves. Either way, what brands do you guys recommend I look at? I assume PI is decent.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    I was considering gloves; I upgraded my grips to Ergon GP3s, so I was wondering if I should even bother with the gel-type gloves. Either way, what brands do you guys recommend I look at? I assume PI is decent.
    Lots of people wear gloves and you will find all kinds of personal preferences out there with good and bad things said about every brand. You'll just have to try some and see how you like them. Because of being constantly soaked in sweat gloves tend to be a wear item.

And then there are those who don't wear gloves except to keep warm. YMMV.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Do you have a computer? Its always nice to see how far/long you've been biking for the day.

I dont like to wear sunblock so I like the PI sunsleeves. You can soak them in water on the hottest of days and actually feel chilly.

RoadBikeReview Member
    A couple pairs of nice cycling socks can make a big difference for foot comfort.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    I have a nice pair of glasses from last year, forgot to mention them (and probably a few other things, too!).

I ride a commuter bike with gloves and Ergon grips. I like the extra comfort and grip when I'm sweating heavily. Also a good way to wipe sweat from face and nasal mucous in cooler weather. YMMV

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Newnan3 View Post
    Do you have a computer? Its always nice to see how far/long you've been biking for the day.

I dont like to wear sunblock so I like the PI sunsleeves. You can soak them in water on the hottest of days and actually feel chilly.
    How well and how long do those work? Thought about but never tried them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    I recently purchased a pair of PI In-R-Cool Elite Bibs and a pair of LG Equipe Bibs. I like the padding of the PI, but I prefer the leg compression of the LG. In my opinion, the PI is cut larger than than the LG (both are mediums).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Competitive Cyclist has the LG Equipe Bibs for 69.95. I paid much more lol. I would buy another pair if I hadn't bought 2 pairs of bibs recently.

Louis Garneau Equipe Bib Shorts - Competitive Cyclist

Is it the future yet?
    Apr 2008
    Look beyond PI for clothing. They make decent stuff, but you can do much better for not a lot more.

My favorite bottles are the camel back podium chill. They are the only insulated bottle that actually keeps your drink cold the longest and the valve is amazing.
    I use this for inflation, by Portland Design Works.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013
    Ergon grips won't be any good to you when you come off the bike and your hands hit the dirt/ground!
    Save yourself from gravel rash etc & wear a pair of gloves or mitts

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by e-leh View Post
    Competitive Cyclist has the LG Equipe Bibs for 69.95. I paid much more lol. I would buy another pair if I hadn't bought 2 pairs of bibs recently.

Louis Garneau Equipe Bib Shorts - Competitive Cyclist
    I second these bibs... I got a pair on Chainlove a few weeks ago. I've only ridden them on my trainer so far because its still cold here, but they are *very* comfortable.

I would buy another, but they are out of my size on Competitive Cyclist.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by maximum7 View Post
    Look beyond PI for clothing. They make decent stuff, but you can do much better for not a lot more.

My favorite bottles are the camel back podium chill. They are the only insulated bottle that actually keeps your drink cold the longest and the valve is amazing.
    What clothing do you recommend? I have PI bibs, one PI jersey, and PI Elite shoes. I like all of their stuff. I would have liked to try Sidi shoes, but for the money i had to spend (about $150), I felt like the PI shoes were the best buy. I have had them for a year and have ridden 6 hour rides in them with no problems i.e. "hot foot" etc. New Summer Kit-img_20120404_093653.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Summer Kit-img_20120404_093653.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Lots of people wear gloves and you will find all kinds of personal preferences out there with good and bad things said about every brand. You'll just have to try some and see how you like them. Because of being constantly soaked in sweat gloves tend to be a wear item.

And then there are those who don't wear gloves except to keep warm. YMMV.
    I ride a commuter bike with gloves and Ergon grips. I like the extra comfort and grip when I'm sweating heavily. Also a good way to wipe sweat from face and nasal mucous in cooler weather. YMMV
    Great advice on the functionality of gloves. I really hadn't considered those little things...

Quote Originally Posted by rogergurr View Post
    Ergon grips won't be any good to you when you come off the bike and your hands hit the dirt/ground!
    Save yourself from gravel rash etc & wear a pair of gloves or mitts
    ...and I certainly didn't consider this big thing! How arrogant of me to not have even had this enter my thought process. I'll be checking out some gloves this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Newnan3 View Post

I have a mount for my iPhone with Cyclemeter running. Absolutely love it! But I can see myself eventually getting a computer down the road, so I'll add that to the list.

Never heard of the sunsleeves. I'm ok with wearing sunblock (when I think to put it on), so I doubt I would buy a pair. Do you use them during the fall months in lieu of a L/S jersey?

Quote Originally Posted by maximum7 View Post

I'll keep that in mind. First piece of apparel I bought was from them and I was very happy with it, so I tend to be be brand loyal.

That's precisely the bottle I bought! Glad to know it was a wise purchase! The inflator I bought was from Genuine Innovations. Seemed to have decent reviews.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I just bought a PI Elite Pursuit jersey the other day for dirt cheap, and I have to say I was impressed with the fabric. Extremely (!!) lightweight with no discernible harsh weave and very stretchy. I'm six feet, two twenty (spread evenly) and it fit very well. Better in the shoulders (somewhat roomier) than a Capo Purist jersey that came in the same shipment, but still tapers down to waist nicely.

If there's one tip that I can share with a similarly sized guy is that I never liked Sugoi stuff. Fits like a bag and constructed out of harsh potato sack material.

Craft and Gore make good layering stuff. Castelli makes bibs I like, but their jerseys are too euro cut for my physique. Voler has some quality USA made stuff if you can catch it on sale. I try to add to my bike closet during big closeouts or sales.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 9W9W View Post
    I just bought a PI Elite Pursuit jersey the other day for dirt cheap, and I have to say I was impressed with the fabric. Extremely (!!) lightweight with no discernible harsh weave and very stretchy. I'm six feet, two twenty (spread evenly) and it fit very well. Better in the shoulders (somewhat roomier) than a Capo Purist jersey that came in the same shipment, but still tapers down to waist nicely.

If there's one tip that I can share with a similarly sized guy is that I never liked Sugoi stuff. Fits like a bag and constructed out of harsh potato sack material.

Craft and Gore make good layering stuff. Castelli makes bibs I like, but their jerseys are too euro cut for my physique. Voler has some quality USA made stuff if you can catch it on sale. I try to add to my bike closet during big closeouts or sales.
    Cool, thanks for the insight. Makes me feel a bit more confident about the Elite jersey. If it fits like you say, I'll likely return the other for an Elite in a different color.

Ideally I would build my kit up the same way, but as a beginner your hand is sort of forced to buy in season as you need the stuff. I'll be able to expand on it off-season now that I have the basics. Again, thank you so much for your post.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer3 View Post
    Here is a company that is offering discounts on their winter apparel--up to 50% off!

Tour Cycling

But they also have daily deals---I've bought from this page before...good stuff

Cycling Clothing Daily Deals - Sale - TourCycling.com
    Looks like I'll be making a stop there....for winter gear.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The two most important items of apparel are shorts/bibs and shoes. Pay whatever it takes to get comfortable ones.

I don't spend a lot on jerseys, though. Not for everyday training. If you want to get one snazzier one for group rides or events, that's fine, but for everyday rides I wear generic jerseys from Performance or Aero Tech. I have one club jersey, and a few other "award" type jerseys that I either earned through fund-raising, or were given to me by a guy who was getting away from cycling.

I have three pairs of cycling gloves. One was also an "award" for fundraising, and the others are just inexpensive Canari and Bontrager. I can wear fingerless gloves once it gets over 45F. For cold weather I have a pair of Finnish cross-country ski gloves. A gift from my wife's cousin.

Helmets are a personal choice, too. Any helmet sold in the US has to be certified by the Consumer Products Safety Commission. I like Specialized helmets because they also have SNELL certification--even the cheapest Echelon model. But I won't spend more than what a Propero costs (about $100).

The most important thing for comfort is wicking. Generic cycling-specific jerseys wick as well as more expensive jerseys. You can spend more if you like, and can afford them, but unless you're training for racing or actually racing, drag from a loose fit isn't something to worry about.

Wicking socks are important, too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The anal roadie in me would be remiss if I did not point out that a loose fitting jersey will not wick nearly as well as a tight fitted one. Carry on.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I received most of my stuff today. The only thing I am waiting on is the gloves I added to the order. I went ahead and kept the Elite jersey as I felt it did fit well, just as you said 9W. I am exchanging the helmet for another Savant as it had some random splotches of silver paint on the crown. At first I thought it may be a design feature, but it was way too random and it didn't extend past the crown of the helmet. If that was a quality control thing, I don't want to risk something less obvious being wrong as well. No rush, it's not warm enough to wear it yet.

Thanks again to all that took the time to respond.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I received most of my stuff today. The only thing I am waiting on is the gloves I added to the order. I went ahead and kept the Elite jersey as I felt it did fit well, just as you said 9W. I am exchanging the helmet for another Savant as it had some random splotches of silver paint on the crown. At first I thought it may be a design feature, but it was way too random and it didn't extend past the crown of the helmet. If that was a quality control thing, I don't want to risk something less obvious being wrong as well. No rush, it's not warm enough to wear it yet.

Thanks again to all that took the time to respond.
    I'm really digging the fit, and smooth upmarket fabric used on the Elite, a la Capo. I was able to get the white orange on sale for $35 which is why I'm keeping it. I'll be on the lookout for black/white but if I have to pay full price, it's not as attractive. PI Elite, Capo and

RoadBikeReview Member
    Holy crap, $35?!?! Care to share from where? PM me if you don't want to put it on full blast.

RoadBikeReview Member
    How well and how long do those work? Thought about but never tried them.
    Im in the Army and we actually do something similar when training on the hot days. We get giant buckets of ice and water, roll your sleeves up and dip your arms in the bucket. You can really feel your whole body cool very quickly.

You'll actually stay cooler for about 30-45 min. Eventually the sleeves will dry out of course but you can always re-wet them if you take a break. If youre riding in the super hot part of summer you'd probably want to break regularly anyways.

Even without the water soaked in the sun sleeve once you get moving i feel like its cooler because the sun isnt beating down on your arms.

They're only like $20 so definitely worth a try....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast