Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Newbies: Introduce yerselves HERE

202K views 2K replies 2K participants last post by  vmotorman 
#1 · (Edited)
RBR Newbies: Introduce yerselves HERE

Since it was pointed out - in a 7 year old thread that was dredged up - that there is no "Intro" thread for n00bs to the site, how about doing so here?

Reactions: D. W. Davis
#966 ·
I need help choosing a bike....anyone? :)

Hello- I am new to this forum and I have been biking recreationally since my first Sprint Tri in 2007. I really started up again last year and really caught the riding bug. :) Apparently the 2006 Trek 1500 bike I have does not fit me properly so I am in the market for a new bike and I do not want to repeat my costly mistake so I narrowed down my choices to 3 bikes. I want a bike that is good now and that I can grow with without having to make another bike purchase any time in the near future. Would anyone mind helping me out?

My main goals are road biking of 25-100 miles and then possibly some Sprint Tri's. The longest ride I did last year was a 75 mile half of the MS ride. I had only ridden 5 times prior to that, so I feel I have potential.

1. Kestrel Talon105--concern, when making a U-Turn, due to small frame shoe could possibly hit tire and I am very accident prone. :-( Good reviews, adaptable from a road to Tri bike easily per the reviews.
2. Fuji Supreme 1.0 Ultegra--Seems lika nice bike, however only a $600-800 price difference vs. the Cervelo. This is a women's specific bike. I don't know much about Fuji.
3. Cervelo S5 Rival-- Everyone seems to think these are the creme' de la creme' of bikes. It rode very nicely. Very fast, study in heavy crosswinds.

I think that about sums it up. Any help or advice anyone can offer would be very appreciated. Thanks! :) M

#967 ·
Hey everyone,

My name is Jimmy and I have been riding for 6 years now. I am currently just an avid rider that likes to join anyone on the weekend for a nice ride. Joined this great forum to get ideas about my bike, ride events...and whatever else that has to deal with bikes.

Thanks Everyone.

#968 ·
Hey all!

I've been riding for as long I can remember, mostly just BMX around the neighborhood, then mountain biking up until the end of high school. Ended up riding around a fixed gear in college because of how convenient/practical it was (UCDavis, if there are any other aggies in here!). Now that I've moved back home (Southern California) the fixed gear makes less sense, so I'm picking up a new road bike. I was hoping to get my Felt F75 sooner, but they're currently back ordered so I'm just waiting patiently until then and learning as much as I can.

Great forum!

#970 ·
Greetings, I'm brand-spanking new to biking, live in Southern California, and have wanted to get into road biking for several years now. To start off, I got myself a 2012 Specialized Allez Compact, and am learning the ins and outs on the fly.

I'm considering getting a dirt-cheap bike to tinker with, just to familiarize myself with the mechanics of my bike without fear of fiddling with my Allez the wrong way. Suffice to say, I'm 100% newbie, am not afraid to admit it, and can't wait to share my stories with you all!

Besides my new-found love for biking, I'm very much into fighting games (Street Fighter, etc.), and write for Team Evil Geniuses (if any of you are into that sort of thing).

#973 ·
Allow myself to introduct myself, my name is Mike and I'm a recreational road and mountain biker. I've been on the road bike scene since 2008. I ride a 2005 Trek Madone 5.2.

I came here to see if anyone in my area rides and to learn about possible upgrades to my bike. Everything on my roadie is currently stock components but I would really like to upgrade my wheelset and pedals in the near future. As soon as I hit 5 posts, I'll be asking people opinions in the wheel forum.

#978 ·
Hello everyone.

You guys can call me Clint.

I started riding bicycles 55 years ago and was completely ran over by a nurse in a studebaker 54 years ago. My mom and the nurse cleaned the grease off of me with bleach and that hurt like you know what because I don't remember getting hit just coming too under the car. Good thing they had high ground clearance back then.

I ride year round and commute to work during warmer weather.

My road bike is a 2010 Specialized Roubaix Comp Compact in stock configuration with the exception of the armadillos in place of the oem rubber. I compete in different types of racing with no preferences except during the winter the rides need to be short and sweet. My first road race this season with be a criterium the first part of May.

Soon I'll be able to post pictures of the Roubaix as well as other things going on up here in Alaska but meanwhile I'll be hanging out in the beginners corner.

Peace and happiness, Clint

#982 ·
Good afternoon

Hi there,
Long time lurker (is 4 years a record?) finally posting a message to say hello from Seattle. Recently pressed an old mountain bike into commuter service because no matter how much I love riding it, the thought of putting a rack on my De Rosa was making me crazy.

#985 ·
Hello! My name is David and I'm new around here. Recently I decided that I needed to get into better shape, so I pulled out an old mountain bike that I had in the garage. I rode it around the block and remembered how much fun I used to have when I rode my bike when I was younger.

Eventually, I would like to purchase a road bike, but my budget is really tight. I'm keeping my eyes open. I'm looking forward to posting on the forums and getting to know some of you guys.

#986 ·
I'm 26 years old and I live in Gainesville, FL. Bought my first road bike last year. Paid $120 for an old Fuji Berkeley from the 80s. It was in pretty good shape but I've spent a decent bit of money on it so far trying to keep it in the best shape I can. I knew nothing about working on a bike, but I've learned a lot so far. Thankfully, I'm used to working on cars so working on a bike isn't that big of deal. It just seems like it's more important in bikes to have the right tools.

#987 ·
Hi everyone,

Road bike newbie here. I've ridden bikes before, but I've never ridden on a road bike for an extended period of time. I decided to get a bike and train for next year's MS150. I've purchased a used 2009 Specialized Allez Sport Compact to start my life in cycling.

Looking forward to learning a bunch from this forum. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.