Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Newbies: Introduce yerselves HERE

202K views 2K replies 2K participants last post by  vmotorman 
#1 · (Edited)
RBR Newbies: Introduce yerselves HERE

Since it was pointed out - in a 7 year old thread that was dredged up - that there is no "Intro" thread for n00bs to the site, how about doing so here?

Reactions: D. W. Davis
#1,047 ·
Cross Bike CIVILIAN LE ROI LE VEUT

CIVILIAN LE ROI LE VEUT, Anyone know anything about this bike??? I'm looking for a commuter and maybe starting cross riding but I don't see any reviews outside of Competitive Cyclist. I believe Comp Cycle is associated with the CIVILIAN Company so I was looking for a more critical review.

Thanks

#1,048 ·
Another new member here. Basically my 89 Paramount OS has some rust issue and noticed a crack in the top tube so I am shopping. Decided to go carbon so came here getting info. My biggest problem is my build is so old I don't have experience with the newest setups (would you believe Sun Tour Superbe Pro with the large "wingnut" levers attached to the brakes which I guess was Sun Tour's parting attempt at relevancy as they faded in to the night.) Still have my downtube shifters from the group.

Since I parked my Paramount I've been riding my 84 Fuji Touring Series III which I call my "lead sled". Normally I use that for offroad/comuting (get some looks from MTBers who can't believe what I'm on).

scott s.

#1,051 ·
introduction

Almost 39. haven't been on a road bike in like 15 years, but something says it's time to get back on the saddle. Certainly it's not the amount of time I actually have to ride, but something has me coming back. Have been mountain biking sporadically at best for years; maybe I'm missing the sound of the asphalt and concrete on the rubber. That, and maybe because I have a 16 month old daughter and want to experience new adventures with her. Certainly I'll be asking for more help than I could ever give on this site, so apologies and thanks in advance for bearing with me. Bill.

#1,052 ·
Hey all!

Long time lurker and mountain biker, just getting into road riding. I picked up my first road bike last week (Felt AR5) and so far I'm enjoying it more than I even thought I would. It's nice to just get on a bike and ride without having to set up the bike rack, find a friend to ride with you, drive to a trail, etc...

I have also found that riding actually helps me with my bad back.

Looking forward to learning lots from all the experts on here.

-Bimmer

#1,054 ·
Hi

Hi, my name is Sean, and I am a new rider. I just started biking last summer, and really enjoyed it! Since then, I have quickly moved from just around the block to around the city. I am looking to get a road bike to enjoy the roads more and leaving my mountain bike for the mountains and offroad biking. I look forward to learning more from this community.

#1,055 ·
Hi everybody. My name is Rick and although I am new to this forum, I am not new to cycling. I am an avid road cyclist located in the San Fernando Valley. My first ride was on my JC Higgins in 1954. Okay, so I'm old. I can still get up the hills rather well. Hope to see you on the road.

#1,057 ·
Just joined this forum; is'nt the Internet great! I hate to say this but 25 years ago:yikes: my boss introduced me to cycling. The real stuff that is. Fell in love with it after I broke my butt in. Unfortunately, been off and on with it due to distractions in life. Anyway, really lost my way over the last few as I had to take care of my ageing and sick mother. She died and I immediately wound up in the hospital for a year due to surgical malpractice. Just lost 30 of the many lbs I gained and going for 15 more. Rejoined the bike club and in the saddle again. This bloody sport is spiritual for me and I rue the day I got lazy with it. You guys have got this old fart pumped again. Thanks!:thumbsup:

#1,058 ·
Hello

Good morning everyone,

Just thought I would stop in and introduce myself. I am sure you will see me hanging around the beginner forums because though I am not entirely "new" to cycling I am new to riding a road bike and taking it seriously.

I moved back to Michigan a few years ago but for 6 years I lived in Louisville KY. For three years there I worked 4.5 miles from home and commuted almost everyday on an old Schwinn to start and then a Cannondale rigid mtn bike converted with slick tires and a rack.

Once I moved back to Michigan I have done about zero riding but last summer I started getting back out in the evenings and riding 10-15 miles a few times a week. I do love to ride and that old c-dale really started to take its toll on my body. I decided this year I would start taking it a little more seriously and purchased my first real road bike; a Scott Foil 30

Its a great bike and maybe a little much for a beginner but I didn't want to have to upgrade in 6 months or a year because frankly my wife would kill me. My mom passed away about 6 months ago and after paying off debt and investing some I decided to take a little inheritance for myself and buy this bike.

My goal is to ride 50 miles a week through a mix of commuting half of my drive to work (12.9 miles) and riding at least once on the weekends. I built a rack for my truck so I can check out different places when the loops around my house start to get boring. You may think 50 miles is a breeze but I have a 6 month old daughter so my time is precious and 50 miles is pushing it! Ha-ha.

See you around and if any Michigan riders want to meet up to teach or just ride and you live around Howell/Milford/Hartland/Fenton area; get at me.

#1,059 ·
Hi my name is Jimmy. I live in Riverside, California. New to this site and new to road biking. I just bought my first road bike a little over a month ago. I bought a 2011 Trek 1.5. I started riding to get into shape and lose weight. I've been doing a lot MTB riding the last year and a half but decided I wanted to start road biking too.

#1,060 ·
A Newbie Hello from NC

Greetings All, Purchased my first road bike less than a month ago and I am already hooked. Given my current "grasshopper" status, I can't promise that I will be of any value to anyone in forum in the near term, but I am dang glad to be here and will shamelessly lurk off of everyone's advice in the interim :) Cheers .

G
#1,061 ·
newbie also

Hi my name is John. I retired from UPS last year and thought that biking would be a great way to keep in shape. My body is pretty beat up after 28 years driving a package car! I bought a mountain bike but the fact that I had to put it in my truck and head out to the woods really didnt work too well. So I bought a fitness bike. Put 900 miles on last year and have a little over 700 so far this year. I love to ride bike. Went out and bought a road bike in Febuary. Trek madone 5.2 WOW it really goes.

#1,064 ·
Howdy

Hi. I am a commuter, 16 miles a day on the Chicago Lakefront. I enjoy fast women and slow rides. (I really dig "Slowride" by Foghat, Live version, check it out.) I traded in my old single speed Schwinn Suburban for a '12 Specialized Crossroads. Looking forward to not breaking my spokes when I go over a curb or pothole. Very interested in having a few gears when I am riding in a stiff wind; normally I have joggers passing me on the path when it is windy. I will miss my coaster brake in the rain. Where do I post a question about the 2010 manufacture date (found on a sticker) of my bike and the "2012" price label from the store. Are they consistent? Or was I sold an older bike at the newer price? Is there a difference between a 2012 and a 2011? Please advise. Ciao, Tim

#1,065 ·
Question About Group Riding

Hello everyone - I'm 53 years young and gotten back into cycling for exercise. I would like to find a small group of guys/girls a similar age and level of riding to join once or twice a week. I like the friendship (and a bit competitive and motivation of riding with a group) but can no way keep up with the young stallions of Orange County CA. What is the best way to go about finding a group with similar interests, riding levels, etc?

#1,066 ·
first post

I'm more of a lurker than a poster, but here goes. I'm a long time runner, I got into triathlons about 10 years ago on a whim & found I preferred the variety to the the constant pounding of running. I did my first sprint tri on my 1990-something Mongoose mtn bike. I needed something faster, so off to my LBS where I found a used Lotus road bike for $100 bucks. It was faster than the mtn bike, but it had downtube shifters and wasn't a good fit for me. The next summer a friend I had met at a race was upgrading to a Tri-bike & selling his Cannondale R300. I picked it up for $75 bucks minus pedals - it's served me well to this day.

Recently decided it was time for a new mtn bike to replace the old no suspension Mongoose. It's a 17" I bought from a friend in the 90's that has never fit me ( I'm 6' - 34" inseam) but the price was right at the time. Researched a bunch online - then went to a couple LBS's to look & try some bikes. Asked about carbon vs alum & the bike shop guy tells me it doesn't make much difference on a mtn bike but it's makes a huge difference in a road bike. Got intrigued about a new road frame. I had read a few threads on Chinese CF frames while researching - some led here. Looked at a groupbuy frame & swapping my (old) stuff over, may still go that route. In my travels I've been on BD &Bikeshopwarehouse. The condor & motobecane bikes interest me - they seem to have a lot of value(component wise) for the money. I joined here so I could search the forums for info & opinions on them. Looks like I'll be called a shrill by showing interest in either. But, I can't justify spending big money on a "name" brand bike. It's going to have to be a great buy or I stick with the old bike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.