Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Newbies: Introduce yerselves HERE

202K views 2K replies 2K participants last post by  vmotorman 
#1 · (Edited)
RBR Newbies: Introduce yerselves HERE

Since it was pointed out - in a 7 year old thread that was dredged up - that there is no "Intro" thread for n00bs to the site, how about doing so here?

Reactions: D. W. Davis
#1,270 ·
New to this forum

Just want to say "Hi" to everyone. Just registered to the group. I have done most of my cycling since 1983. Couldn't do most sports because of a shattered knee cap that was removed in 1971. I am 65 and still at it. I won't let myself get old. I just bought a 29er MTB a few weeks ago, and now have sold my LeMond and ordered a Surly LHT that is due next week. Can't wait. I recently moved to a hillier area and need the gears. Also have a recumbent that is a joy to ride if you want relaxation and a good view while riding.

#1,272 ·
Hello, my name is Byron and I am new to cycling. I have always wanted to get into it, but well, life just happens. I am just turning 40 and bought my first road bike. I am in it for the exercise and the freedom of just being out there. I hope someday to be able to bike across this beautiful country of ours. For now, I am eager to learn, and eager to get some miles logged. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

#1,274 ·
Well that sucks - wrote a nice intro, hit submit, and find out that I got logged out and lost all of it.

I have been riding bikes as long as I could walk. My first "real" bike was a Cannondale M300 that I got for my 14th birthday. I couldn't even begin to guess the mileage that bike has (I never asked my parents for rides - I biked everywhere, took the bike to college, I have even participated in a race with it) but it is one possession that I refuse to give away.

I have ridden a road bike exactly once. I actually wanted one when I got the M300 but mom pulled rank cause mountain bikes were really popular at the time. I was house-sitting my moms bosses house and he told me to take it for a spin. Not sure what it was but I know it was reallllly expensive at the time. It was carbon tubes with metal (i think titanium) fittings - this was wayyyyy before the all carbon bikes that you see now. TIcked of 15 miles pretty easily.

Now I am outta shape and see road bikers fly by my house literally all day. I say that looks fun and buy a Cannondale R700 without the wheelset. Kinda kicking myself because I thought they would be easy and cheap for a set to get started and was quoted $700 by the local bike dealer.

So now I have a bike with no wheels - and the inability to ask a question as to where to find "reasonable" 650 wheels / tires so I can test this bike out.

#1,276 ·
Hey everyone my name is Rod; I just started riding this spring. I have not been on a bike much since I was a kid. I live in Iowa and have close access to many paved trails so I picked up a Trek road bike on Craigslist and have been riding almost everyday. We also have some great off road trails and would like to pickup a cyclocross bike but need to do my reasearch before I spend any money. I have enjoyed the forum and look forward to learning a bunch from everyone.

#1,279 ·
Hey,

So I'm new to road cycling. With in the past few months I started to ride on road bike. I first started on a cheap columbia road bike from the 80's. Then recently I bought a more suitable Schwinn Le Tour 1989. So far I have gotten a total of 500 miles under my belt. I still lack the funds to buy shorts and a jersey. So I am always afraid of what other roadies will think when they see me in athletic shorts and a sweat wicking shirt. Anyways I am excited to be getting into this sport.

#1,281 ·
James here

I have been an GT mountain bike junkie over the years but am getting into road bikes for commuting/triathlons. I have built a bike from scratch before, but road bikes are all new to me. I anticipate asking a lot of questions, probably not all smart ones.

#1,284 ·
Hi all,

Just joined up for answers to some Chinese carbon questions.

However I'm a returnee to cycling after divorcing my bike about 14 years ago. Since then I've built countless bikes for friends and family, but only occasionally rode the things that I built.
Two years ago I decided to make a serious attempt to get fit again, but the last six months of 2011 resulted in a host of medical problems that kept me off the bike. I was pouring the food down my neck at this time to the same level that I was when I was riding and stuck a bucket load of weight on.

January the first this year I did a 10 mile time trial on quite a mild winters day when I weighed 104.7kgs. I turned out a 27:36 on that day which wasn't too bad for a 6'5" aerodynamic brick!
Since then I've slimmed down to 92.3kgs and gone back up to 93.5kg as the legs have been reborn!
Last Wednesday I turned out a 23:43 on my Chinese FM018 TT bike so something is definitely working.

#1,287 ·
new

hey, hi everyone at Road bike Review,

My name is Elijah (lyj) and i am new to this site(obviously) and also new to cycling,

i have just purchased a Jamis Xenith Endura Comp in an effort to increase my cardio fitnes and stamina, i ride motocross and also am about to go away to the army for my basic training and i thought this would be a good way to increase my fitness and stamina.

Am open to all and any advice, tips or info that anyone has to better increase my knowledge and understanding of the bikes and the sport.

thank you.

#1,288 ·
hey, hi everyone at Road bike Review,

My name is Elijah (lyj) and i am new to this site(obviously) and also new to cycling,

i have just purchased a Jamis Xenith Endura Comp in an effort to increase my cardio fitnes and stamina, i ride motocross and also am about to go away to the army for my basic training and i thought this would be a good way to increase my fitness and stamina.

Am open to all and any advice, tips or info that anyone has to better increase my knowledge and understanding of the bikes and the sport.

thank you.

#1,289 ·
Making a comeback!

Let's see, like most grew up riding bikes around the neighborhood until I was old enough to drive. Then got back onto a bike when I went away to college and couldn't have a car on campus. That's when I got a my first "real" non-department store bike... a Trek 830, that my father rides today. Then I got into mountain biking and was addicted. Unfortunately, I messed up my back at work and had to put mountain biking aside as I just couldn't handle the bumps. I still rode my mountain bike on rail trails for a couple years, until I made the leap and bought myself a road bike. A 2004 Felt F90 with all upgraded components to Shimano 105. I wanted to buy the F70, but it was the end of the season, and the LBS didn't have my size in stock, but the offered to swap the parts over to the F90 which they had in my size. I was hooked instantly.

Then, life happened. Got married and had a kid within the first year of my road biking passion. It didn't stop me, but it slowed me down. Then we moved out of the city into the country where I didn't know the roads, bought a new house that needed some work to complete, and the dust piled up on my bike. I think in the first three years of owning the house, I might have put about 50 miles on my bike. This year WILL be different. I am making a comeback!

#1,292 ·
Hi y'all

My name is Eli and recently got a new road bike, a Cannondale CAAD8 2012. I actually got a vintage Cannondale before that and I decided I want a modern one, but will still keep the vintage for that quick errand.

I'm pretty handy so I'll be doing a lot of the maintenance and upgrade myself. These are my first road bikes and I've always ridden a mountain bike -nothing too fancy, just department store bought beater.

I'm new here and new to road biking. I hope to learn from all of you pros, so please give me a tip or two :)

#1,293 ·
Hi all,
I've been trolling for a bit. Now want to either help or get some help. :)

First Road bike
S-works E5 2004 (can't do pics yet)

And now my new baby. This is going to be my first build (with help)
BMC SLX01 Stars and Stripes

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.