Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Newbies: Introduce yerselves HERE

202K views 2K replies 2K participants last post by  vmotorman 
#1 · (Edited)
RBR Newbies: Introduce yerselves HERE

Since it was pointed out - in a 7 year old thread that was dredged up - that there is no "Intro" thread for n00bs to the site, how about doing so here?

Reactions: D. W. Davis
#1,296 ·
Well I gave up roadracing motorcycles 18 months ago....giving up the rush of riding a motorcycle at speeds well over 100+ I thought was going to be difficult...

Started with a K2 Zed Mountain bike on the Pacific Trail in California, I liked it....

Stepped up to The Trek Alpha 1.5 which is my main ride.. 2 months later....

Picked up a Specialized Hardrock 29'r just to trail ride... 3 months later ...

Picked up a Giant Trance X4 for all mountain stuff.

I like biking ride about 130miles a week mostly road, funny how you can get the same rush out rolling over a tough climb and blitzing the back home human powered at a steady 30 35mph.

Void filled I ride 5 days a week minimum and I can assure you the tires on bikes are way cheaper.

#1,298 ·
Sliding into 40 and after sitting for 3 years writing code for a startup and adding kids 3 and 4 during the same time I found that my metabolism had left the building and that yes, I actually can gain weight with a dedication to sleep deprivation, drinking to much, and eating like crap...

Anyhow, set out in 2012 to get back to healthy. Running hurts too damn much anymore so I said, "F@@@ it, buy a bike." and I did. 2012 Trek Madone 4.5. Man, I'm digging it. 15-20 miles a day, it's my sanity time and I'm down 12 pounds. And my teenager daughters think I rock the tight maxipad shorts! (not)

#1,302 ·
Hi guys (and gals),
Name's Kent. I just purchased my first road bike today. I bought a 2012 Specialized Allez. I am very happy with my purchase so far. I am 22 years old, and I have decided to use biking as a means of fitness, mainly because running is boring. I also have made a goal for myself to compete in the BP MS 150 next April. I'm very excited to start a new hobby, as my previous one is becoming very expensive (I drive an '85 Porsche). I am very active in automotive forums, and am excited to become the student again! Looking forward to absorbing a wealth of knowledge from the veterans here.

P.S. I noticed a bit of noise from the front bearing as I rode it this evening. Too tight, too loose? Lubrication?

#1,310 ·
noob in AK

Hello-

My name is Eric. I'm enjoying the time I spend on bikes again. I've found riding/cleaning and wrenching on bikes is a great way to stay connected with my soon to be teenage sons(twins). Plus it seems to slow the aging process much more effectively than beer. We live in Palmer, AK up near Hatcher Pass and love every minute of outdoor time we can get.

Can anyone recommend the a few reliable and noob friendly part and tool websites?

Thanks.

#1,311 ·
Hi, I'm Shannon ( a dude). I'm new to the cycling world (about 5 weeks in). I'm loving it thus far. Lost weight and in best shape of the past 10 years. I am however trying to get the bike stuff sorted out. I mean, Does the big money bikes make the average rider seem like a super star to a average rider on a intro level carbon w/105's or am I just that slow?

#1,312 ·
Jack, 32. In 2004, I took my father's 1984 Cannondale (27" wheels, touring frame either an S-500 or S-300), bought an Ultegra set on ebay, some new tires, handlebars and a shimano flight deck computer and started riding in Prospect Park, Brooklyn while I was studying for the bar. I lost some weight and really enjoyed it, but slowly fell off as life changed. I kept the bike, though, and fast forward 8 years later, this past April I got it tuned up and started riding again (now living near San Jose, CA). First ride was a struggle at 8 miles. Now riding 15-20 miles 4-5 times per week, plus trying to do an occasional longer ride on the weekends. Have lost ~25 lbs, time's improving, distance is improving, stress is down, feel better... I just ordered a carbon seat post, fork and some new wheels and tires too. Looking at buying a modern CF (or possibly Ti) bike in nearish future (Cannondale weighs ~ 27 lbs, I'm real curious what a 15-17 lb modern bike rides like). Been lurking on this site for a while... first post. Moving to San Diego in about a month and will hopefully look to start group riding then to mix things up a bit.

#1,316 ·
Kyle. 32. I rode anything with wheels 24/7 when I was younger, but never seriously got into cycling. I just bought a Fuji Roubaix set up as a singlespeed. Took it for a ride yesterday and decided I'd be happy to add a few pounds worth of gears... I knew this on the front side, but I got the bike for next to nothing. 20 miles yesterday with 800 ft of ascent/descent, and averaged a very humble 15.8 mph. I'm hoping to use this bike to commute.

#1,317 ·
Greetings all. I was searching for reviews on Michelin Lithion 2 road tire and came across this site. Looks like a a great forum to get unbiased opinions.

#1,319 ·
Hello Springfield! My name is Chris, I'm a recovering fat arse, I used to ride a ton back before kids/mortgage/etc...but let myself focus on things that paid the bills and expanded the waist line. I just got back into spinning/riding this feb and have dropped 40 lbs. I bought a 2011 spec secteur yesterday after a week test riding a few models. Super stoked to be active again, and getting the legs ready for a few trips to Montana to bomb some powder on my new skis (recovering ski bum as well). Hope to gleen some good tips here and get better on my rides.

#1,320 ·
New/Old Guy

Hi,
I'm a new guy here with an old problem. I know you can relate to what I'm about to reveal to ya'll. I like bikes. I have been riding for a long time and will ride a lot more. I am 60 years old and hate to be called old. I am in decent shape and like to commute to (and from) work. I commute 25 miles round trip. The one good thing I like about my commute is that I have a slight tailwind to work and a strong one, heading home. And I love it. Lots of times I take the long way home and get to recover with a Beer (which I share with my Wife). I live in the rainy NW, so I hit the wet stuff once in a while.
I wrench on my own bikes and have designed and built quite a few recumbents. As I get even older I will be designing and building electric motors into my bikes. What fun.
My final thoughts to everyone, is to stay physically active and keep your brain stimulated.
Ciao for now, Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.