Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    banned

Newly Installed Speed Bumps Hazardous for Cyclists

I'm riding through the White Plains North Railroad Station Parking Lot in NY this afternoon going roughly about 18 mph heading northbound when all of a sudden both my hands come flying off my bars and I have no control of my bike. No warning, nothing whatsoever and I was about to go down hard. The handle bar swung left and then violently it swung right. The bar then hit the top of my right wrist and straightened out. Somehow I did not go down. What a horrible feeling.

I had no idea what happened. I ride back to where it happened and I see newly installed speed bumps that had never been in this lot before. The speed bumps as you approach them look no different from painted parking lines. But when I looked closely they are almost the size of 2x4s.

Some nitwits put these in place without any consideration for the danger it poses for cyclists. I expect a lot of cyclist to be going down on this bike route which goes through this train station parking lot.

A head up to others out there, even if you think you know an area well, a new speed bump can ruin a day.

My other bike has knobbys
    Sisophous, I know the feeling. Had an incident last fall where a paved path was milled out for a new overlay...even if you think you're ready for it, things can still throw you a curve ball and put you on the pavement. Glad to hear you salvaged it.
    So 5 times wasn't enough and I'm going back again:my participant page for the 2014 Alberta Ride to Conquer Cancer.

12 Cervelo S2, 09 Knolly Delirium T, ?? Mercury Road Bike, signed '06 Gary Fisher Cake 2DLX

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MercRidnMike View Post
    Sisophous, I know the feeling. Had an incident last fall where a paved path was milled out for a new overlay...even if you think you're ready for it, things can still throw you a curve ball and put you on the pavement. Glad to hear you salvaged it.
    It was some jolt. I just left a message and my name and number with the Traffic department in the City of White Plains, they deal with signs and all traffic issues. I told them there should be a warning that you are approaching the speed bump and they look like parking space lines, nothing more. Whether they do anything about it who knows, I did my part. Someone is going to get badly hurt there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    First of all, 18mph in a parking lot is a little bit reckless, don't you think?

That being said, one of my worst crashes was caused by a speed bump. I was in a group riding my fixie. Nobody ahead of me called it out. I think my pedal hit the bump - the last thing I remember before being loaded onto the ambulance was the feeling of being airborne.
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanE View Post
    First of all, 18mph in a parking lot is a little bit reckless, don't you think?
    I was just coming off the trail and entering the parking lot when some Yahoo on a Hybrid and wearing a backpack passed me. I don't like to be passed. So, I kicked into gear and was on his rear tire about to go for the pass when it happened. I would have been going faster in the next couple of seconds.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Sisophous View Post
    I was just coming off the trail and entering the parking lot
    So were you on a bike trail or not? To be more precise, was the speed bump located on the bike trail or in the parking lot? If the latter, you don't have much room to complain. Stuff like this happens to cyclers, glad you managed to stay up.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wim View Post
    So were you on a bike trail or not? To be more precise, was the speed bump located on the bike trail or in the parking lot? If the latter, you don't have much room to complain. Stuff like this happens to cyclers, glad you managed to stay up.
    The speed bumps are in the railroad station parking lot. And, I do have a case because the bike trails run through two train station parking lots. There is no way to exit the bike trails without going through the parking lot. Cyclists have every much right to access the parking lot as do the cars. The City of White Plains has to put up signs to alert people that there is a speed bump, it is not at all obvious, I thought they were just yellow lines. Most speed bumps I come across are visible, these are not. I will post an update if the city makes any changes after notifying them, I hope they do.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    There is no way to exit the bike trails without going through the parking lot.
    Well, let's hope they don't just get rid of the affected portion of the bike trail. Wasn't White Plains going to ban all cycling in their city center some time ago? FWIW: was the post #5 a joke or were you serious? I can't tell any longer.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wim View Post
    Well, let's hope they don't just get rid of the affected portion of the bike trail. Wasn't White Plains going to ban all cycling in their city center some time ago? FWIW: was the post #5 a joke or were you serious? I can't tell any longer.
    Never heard of banning cycling in White Plains, I only pass through that city when on their bike trail. And, I only told you what happened, no joke, I normally do not ride at speed through a parking lot but when anyone passes me when I am fresh, I kick it in.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    I normally do not ride at speed through a parking lot but when anyone passes me when I am fresh, I kick it in.
    OK, thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    ... I normally do not ride at speed through a parking lot but when anyone passes me when I am fresh, I kick it in.
    Sounds like you have some issues. Seek help.
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanE View Post
    Sounds like you have some issues. Seek help.
    Isn't this the same guy who wiped out a few weeks ago, claiming he "likes to go fast, take turns tight, and cut it close to parked cars" or something like that?

Edit: Yup...

Freak Event Nearly Ended in First Ever Crash
    "It ain't a teacup that the Queen gave you - it's a bike. Ride it!"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Going 18 mph in a parking lot because you were racing some guy on a hybrid? And you didn't see a bump because you were so intent on this meaningless pass.

Okay . . .

There's this legal concept called "contributory negligence" . . .
    Ubuntu: I am what I am because of who we all are.

Anphaque II
    Aug 2010
    I'm riding through the White Plains North Railroad Station Parking Lot in NY this afternoon going roughly about 18 mph heading northbound when all of a sudden both my hands come flying off my bars and I have no control of my bike. No warning, nothing whatsoever and I was about to go down hard. The handle bar swung left and then violently it swung right. The bar then hit the top of my right wrist and straightened out. Somehow I did not go down. What a horrible feeling.

I had no idea what happened. I ride back to where it happened and I see newly installed speed bumps that had never been in this lot before. The speed bumps as you approach them look no different from painted parking lines. But when I looked closely they are almost the size of 2x4s.

Some nitwits put these in place without any consideration for the danger it poses for cyclists. I expect a lot of cyclist to be going down on this bike route which goes through this train station parking lot.

A head up to others out there, even if you think you know an area well, a new speed bump can ruin a day.
    Going 18MPH through a parking lot.

You hit a speed bump in a parking lot doing 18MPH. Hmm.

Did it ever cross your mind at the time that maybe said speed bump were put there for a reason? And maybe you're one of them? That maybe you proved its' point of existence there?

I totally understand the mentality of wanting to pass the rider that passed you; A Wanna-be sprint finish champion of the universe, etc (Like me ). But a light bulb should have went off in your head () when you went back to see what you rode over; I hope.
    America's greatest threat: Congressional liberal Democrats

Crimes Against Humanity: The History of The Democrat Party

Anphaque II
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    Going 18 mph in a parking lot because you were racing some guy on a hybrid? And you didn't see a bump because you were so intent on this meaningless pass.

Okay . . .

Not to mention, usually, parking lot speed limits are less than 10MPH.

Usually more like 5MPH. YMMV
    America's greatest threat: Congressional liberal Democrats

Crimes Against Humanity: The History of The Democrat Party

Banned forever.....or not
    That's nuttin'

I had a circuit race last Sunday that had two speed bumps on the course. First one you had to kinda hop, and the second you could go over by "unweighting" the bike. Both bumps were "at speed".
    Learn how to ride.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

irony intended
    I tend to look where I'm going, even on familiar routes...have yet to lose control due to an unexpected speed bump...

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post

Okay . . .

The speed bump was not there before. And, it was not noticeable. As for the parking lot, the parking sections had a lot of space between the rows, I would not ride at speed if there was not enough space to react.

I usually fly through this lot which is about 150 yards. My whole point in posting this thread is to make people aware that no matter how comfortable you may feel while riding through an area that something can be added and it can be deadly. I still do not know how I did not fall, I had no control of my bike after I hit the bump, but I think something as in the past was watching over me.

As I mentioned before, I contacted the city over this speed bump addition via a message and will try to reach them tomorrow if they will answer their phone. I know some cyclists are in for a nightmare if nothing is done about this.

If someone in the area rides through this part, please post and give your feedback.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    and that is why you hold on to your handlebar kids. thumb one side, rest of the fingers the other.
    paying attention might help too.
    You might want to notify These people besides the city
    Blows your hair back.

RoadBikeReview Member

Newly Installed Speed Bumps Hazardous for Cyclists

Never heard of banning cycling in White Plains, I only pass through that city when on their bike trail. And, I only told you what happened, no joke, I normally do not ride at speed through a parking lot but when anyone passes me when I am fresh, I kick it in.
    What happened to the guy on the hybrid when HE hit the same speed-bump?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I usually fly through this lot which is about 150 yards.
    Maybe that's why they installed the speed bump? Consider your near-death experience a warning.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by regnaD kciN View Post
    What happened to the guy on the hybrid when HE hit the same speed-bump?
    Nothing - he couldn't exceed the speed limit in a hybrid!
    "It ain't a teacup that the Queen gave you - it's a bike. Ride it!"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RJP Diver View Post
    Nothing - he couldn't exceed the speed limit in a hybrid!
    I dunno, he just passed sissypuss

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill2 View Post
    I dunno, he just passed sissypuss
    I think it was supposed to be a joke about hybrid cars from the divers side....
    sissypuss?
    Blows your hair back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yep, it was a joke by RJP Diver

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast