Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Nitrile gloves under winter gloves.

18K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  Touch0Gray 
#1 ·
I tried this out today since I work in a laboratory.

I have problems with drying out my sweaty winter gloves because they are so thick.

I tried out a pair of fairly thin silver nitrile gloves we use at work. What I noticed is my hands didn't get as cold today because the interior of the cycling glove never got wet. Of course my hands were soaked under the nitrile, but I didn't really notice it until I got home and took the nitrile gloves off and threw them away.

Now my thick winter gloves are ready to go tommorow without having to turn them inside out(that's a pain). Also at $65 a pop the gloves should last a lot longer without the constant dampness.

Our lab went to Nitriles a few years back with latex allergies on the rise and vinyl gloves being prone to tearing and possibly exposing workers.

#2 ·
I haven't tried Nitrile gloves under my cycling gloves (anytime of year), but I have worn them over my summer gloves. I was working a first aid call, and was too lazy to take the time to remove my cycling gloves. :idea: Hint, use a couple of sizes larger Nitrile than normal. It does work better if you take your cycling gloves off before putting the 'protective' gloves on, but sometimes, you don't have that luxury.

#4 ·
I'll bet your winter gloves have some sort of waterproof 'breathable' membrane such as gore-tex. I had the same problem and I got a nice pair of gloves that didn't have a membrane and the problem went away. No more cold damp hands.
Waterproof/breathable membranes really don't breathe that well and all the perspiration your hands produce can't go through the membrane at a very fast rate leaving your hands clammy. All that water around your hands absorbs a lot of energy too.
Just a thought.

#5 ·
Vapor barrier

The OP experienced the vapor barrier effect. It's been used for quite a while in backpacking/mountaineering circles to keep feet warmer in boots and bodies warmer in sleeping bags under very cold conditions.

Basically, by trapping all the moisture in, the extra humidity keeps you warmer. But you need to deal with the moisture later on (pruned feet etc).

#9 ·
other liners

I use some thin lightweight glove liners from REI, and the seem to remove most of the moisture when I take them out, so that gloves are dry on the way home. Don't get the clammy feeling either. May want to start out with gloves a bit larger.

#12 · (Edited)
I know it's weird but on sunday when I tried this out I was out for just under 4 hours on the bike. I was wearing PI Amfib gloves which of course are thick and they tend to sponge up the sweat.

It was weird, but I really never got raisen hands at all, it actually felt pretty good, but it was pretty cold and windy so my mind was on other things.

I'm used to wearing nitrile gloves for hours everyday, I'm a MedTech so it goes with the job.

I do have some glove liners from REI, but I don't like wearing them as those get soaked as well. Maybe I just have sweaty hands.

#13 ·
Silk glove liners?

Fixed said:
I use some thin lightweight glove liners from REI, and the seem to remove most of the moisture when I take them out, so that gloves are dry on the way home. Don't get the clammy feeling either. May want to start out with gloves a bit larger.
Has anybody tried silk glove liners like these:

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___68168?CS_003=2477120&CS_010=68168

I've been wanting to try them out for adding a few extra degrees for lighter weight gloves. The PI amfib gloves I've got are too bulky and for me their usefull temperature range is pretty narrow. Much below freezing and my hands still get cold and much above freezing my hands just sweat.

#14 ·
So I tried this out on 3 different days with eventually rather disappointing results. I felt it was worth a try because my gloves take a beating needing to be washed every week. FYI my hands tend to sweat and I'm NEVER cold on my hands, but if this worked well I was gonna try it on my feet where my major getting cold issues lie.

This looked promising on the first day when I went running in 32 degree F temps with powder free latex gloves under my backcountry gloves. After a 7 mile one hour run (yes I am slow as molasses) my hands were pruned but the gloves did stay dry except for the ends where the latex ended. So the next day I rode a 2 hour ride in similar temperature with very similar results. Pruned hands, gloves stayed dry, no problems. Good so far I thought.

Boy was I wrong! Today I rode at the limit of temperatures where I usually pack it in. It was 14 degrees with 10-15mph winds. Initially all seemed well (except for my toes getting frosty), but after 20 minutes the sweat under the latex started to seriously superchill my fingertips. Note I have NEVER had problems with cold hands before. I quickly stopped, dumped the latex gloves, dried off my hands, and put the regular Backcountry gloves back on. After 10 minutes my hands were back to being fine. I rode 2.5 hours and although my hands were fine, I did get just the beginning of frost bite on my toes despite wool socks, good Shimano winter boots, windproof booties and chemical warmers. I don't know how the people who post about riding in -10 degrees do it.

So in summary this works above freezing temps, but when it's truly cold it makes things worse. I'm going to stick to washing the gloves instead.

#15 ·
heathb said:
I tried this out today since I work in a laboratory.

I have problems with drying out my sweaty winter gloves because they are so thick.

I tried out a pair of fairly thin silver nitrile gloves we use at work. What I noticed is my hands didn't get as cold today because the interior of the cycling glove never got wet. Of course my hands were soaked under the nitrile, but I didn't really notice it until I got home and took the nitrile gloves off and threw them away.

Now my thick winter gloves are ready to go tommorow without having to turn them inside out(that's a pain). Also at $65 a pop the gloves should last a lot longer without the constant dampness.

Our lab went to Nitriles a few years back with latex allergies on the rise and vinyl gloves being prone to tearing and possibly exposing workers.
BTW I tried that (vinyl not nitrile) on Tuesday THANK YOU....my gloves were dry, my hands were warm...for those of us who cannot afford 6 pair of gloves at 50 bucks a set at different weights, it WORKS .....thank you

edit.....it was only 28 degrees with 20 mph winds

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.