Hammer

No Indoor trainer this year !

I made the decision last summer that I would get a bike that can handle the snow a little better at years end so I could ride outside during winter. I can't commute to and from work because of the distance, so my riding comes after work, and the roads have no breakdown lanes to ride in. But I do live right behind Lake Dennison so trails are everywhere to play on. I picked up a Trek Stache 5 and am just loving playing out in the snow. I live in a very big snowmobile region and there are 100+ miles of groomed trails less than 2 minutes from my front door. The best part is I'm getting a killer workout with a great big smile the whole time.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNmnOynXb3c

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    i hate cycling indoors. i can deal wit the cold down to the low 20's so its only a deep freeze or snow/ice that keeps me off the bike. i prefer the treadmill over a trainer so that's what i did 2/3 days this weekend. fortunately i got out @ 6;30 on saturday and beat the snow for a quick 30 miles.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Is that a plus bike or regular mountain bike?
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Both. It's 29+ or a HT 29er depending which wheels you put on it. Tested one about a year ago and really liked it, but I'm not an expereinced MTBer at all.

https://www.outsideonline.com/217801...trek-stache-98

Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

Hammer
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    It a 29 plus and I am loving every bit of it so far. A major upgrade from my old steel GT Triple triangle from the 90's.

Forever a Student
    Picked a hell of a year to do it. Good on ya bub. Pretty skookum having all of those groomed trails right outside the dooryard.
    use a torque wrench

banned
    Sep 2015
    29+ = slow...massive tires on 700c wheels = heavy...high inertia...slow spool up.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 11spd View Post
    29+ = slow...massive tires on 700c wheels = heavy...high inertia...slow spool up.
    29ers like how those big wheels roll over terrain so nicely, trade off being understeer, and the larger last gear going up steep hills. Cool touring scheme, not great for racing. Yeah, inertia. Those monster tires gotta be heavier than 26 inch versions.

banned
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    29ers like how those big wheels roll over terrain so nicely, trade off being understeer, and the larger last gear going up steep hills. Cool touring scheme, not great for racing. Yeah, inertia. Those monster tires gotta be heavier than 26 inch versions.
    29'er non + I have owned have merit. But they are challenged for spool up with 2" wide rubber. But 3" wide rubber on hoops that big, create some serious rotational mass.
    My opinion....650+ makes more sense if going 3" wide rubber.

RoadBikeReview Member
    My only real objection when I tried a 29er was the wide turning radius and the general ungainly feeling that my 26" mountain bike didn't have.

High inertia? I would just pedal harder to make up for it.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

-- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Interesting, I've got all I need to ride in snow and really cold weather for gear but I'm doing mostly trainer work instead - find it's more beneficial to do structured workouts on the trainer this time of year.
    Moderation is boring - do epic s##t

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm with you on no indoor trainer use. I rode today in NE Massachusetts. Some roads were a little dicey but with care, outdoor winter cycling is definitely possible. I just used a regular road bike with 25mm tires.
    2012 Motobecane Le Champion Team Titanium
    2002 Jamis Eclipse
    2000 Specialized Allez Elite

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonB176 View Post
    I'm with you on no indoor trainer use. I rode today in NE Massachusetts. Some roads were a little dicey but with care, outdoor winter cycling is definitely possible. I just used a regular road bike with 25mm tires.
    Just wait a few hours and you won't be getting very far on a bike with 25mm tires.

-- Warren Buffett