RoadBikeReview Member

Non cyclists on cycling

This might be a parallel to the "do you call yourself a cyclist" question, but as someone who does consider himself a cyclist, I get a kick out of professionals (mainly journalists/writers) who claim to understand the finer points of cycling. Sure, there's a lot I need to learn, and there's a lot I can be criticized for (Egg Beaters on my road bike, OMG!), but at least I know where I stand.

For example: I once saw a "bike gear" feature in Maxxim magazine that featured some sort of "gotta have it if you want to be a real man" mountain bike. It was a decent bike from either Trek/Giant/Specialized, but the fork was installed backwards in the studio glamor shot (and I'm not talking about a reverse-arch Manitou). It was painfully clear that none of the editors, photographers, assistants or art directors on the set that day were cyclists.

Also, a recent Daily News article making fun of the soon-to-be-launched bike share program here in NYC highlighted it's writers "bike savviness" by mentioning she rode her SE Draft everywhere. That's sort of like saying you're an automotive expert because you drive a Nissan Sentra, or you're a sommelier because you drink Franzia.

It's probably smug of me, but I can't help but privately face-palm, and be embarrassed for the cycling community when we're publicly represented by non-experts.

Cranky Old Bastard
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMook View Post
    For example: I once saw a "bike gear" feature in Maxxim magazine that featured some sort of "gotta have it if you want to be a real man" mountain bike. It was a decent bike from either Trek/Giant/Specialized, but the fork was installed backwards in the studio glamor shot (and I'm not talking about a reverse-arch Manitou). It was painfully clear that none of the editors, photographers, assistants or art directors on the set that day were cyclists.
    Yes I agree. When I was a computer consultant I used to warn my customers that when you know absolutely nothing, a person who knows a tiny little bit more than nothing seems like an expert.

I laugh at the ads on TV where the old guy is taking the grandson fishing and does absolutely everything wrong. Holds the rod upside-down and cranks with the wrong hand or tries to use a fly rod to cast a bass lure. You'd think with all the people and money involved that someone would take a second to make sure they weren't making fools of themselves but nope, no one bothered to check.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    The way of the world eh?
    Sometimes I wonder when watching movies/tv where the whole story revolves around some sport (ie story line- insert motorsport/mountain climbing/fighter plains etc). So if I am watching something I don't really know anything about and it all seems plausible, I wonder if people that are into that stuff are going as bonkers about the stupidity of things as I do when watching something I do know about.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The Daily News article was dumb, not because she bragged about riding the SE (I mean, she rides a FG - nothing wrong with that) - but because she either willfully or ignorantly completely misunderstood and ignored the purpose and use of bikeshare operations. And I call complete bs on her assertion that she could only get to 7 mph.

As for the rest, I don't go out of my way to assert my bike-snobbishness. People have varying levels of knowledge.

And Maxxim? You're really going to technically criticize something in Maxxim? That magazine is all advertising or bs advertising disguised as content. Backward fork is funny, though.
    Ubuntu: I am what I am because of who we all are.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    The Daily News article was dumb, not because she bragged about riding the SE (I mean, she rides a FG - nothing wrong with that) - but because she either willfully or ignorantly completely misunderstood and ignored the purpose and use of bikeshare operations. And I call complete bs on her assertion that she could only get to 7 mph.
    Definitely something seriously wrong with that woman. Undocking doesn't look that complicated.

This woman doesn't seem to have a problem riding the bike 7mph. Maybe she's a pro and not a "snob".

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    The way of the world eh?
    Sometimes I wonder when watching movies/tv where the whole story revolves around some sport (ie story line- insert motorsport/mountain climbing/fighter plains etc). So if I am watching something I don't really know anything about and it all seems plausible, I wonder if people that are into that stuff are going as bonkers about the stupidity of things as I do when watching something I do know about.
    In my case, most definitely from Historical to Physics. The general public is being entertained and will believe most anything they see.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Most of my friends and coworkers know I'm hard core into cycling so they'll often use it to fill conversation by asking questions or making comments about cycling. Very few of them have a clue and often say things that are just flat out wrong. I kind of like people who take an interest in something they don't know anything about.
    I guess I view popular media the same way and don't really have a problem with them talking about cycling and being clueless about it.

Riding a bike isn't really that complex. Being clueless about it can be kind of funny but no less so than thinking it's some highly esoteric topic.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    I call complete bs on her assertion that she could only get to 7 mph..
    I agree with the BS call, but in reality 7mph is not a bad speed for bike share trip. The average human walks at a 3-4mph pace, so you are roughly twice as fast on a bike share bike, if the max speed was 7mph. The system is designed for short trips for local users, I think it is 45min per usage after that you are charged more. Manhattan is only 13mi long and 2.3mi wide, and the program is only south of 59 street right now. So 45min at 7mph would pretty much cover anywhere a rider would want to go that is covered by the program. Brooklyn is a different story.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QuattroCreep View Post
    I agree with the BS call, but in reality 7mph is not a bad speed for bike share trip. The average human walks at a 3-4mph pace, so you are roughly twice as fast on a bike share bike, if the max speed was 7mph. The system is designed for short trips for local users, I think it is 45min per usage after that you are charged more. Manhattan is only 13mi long and 2.3mi wide, and the program is only south of 59 street right now. So 45min at 7mph would pretty much cover anywhere a rider would want to go that is covered by the program. Brooklyn is a different story.
    Fair point about the average speed for bikeshare type trips. I think she implied that was her maximum speed. 7 mph average for a city trip, with traffic, sounds about right. But a cyclist with a little muscle can certainly get a heavy bike rolling faster than that -- though it will take a little longer than on a lightweight.

Bikeshare is meant to be a component of a multi-modal transport system, which NYC already has. Regional trains to get into the city from suburbs, subway for trips of more than 10-20 blocks, walking for short trips, and the bikes for the lengths in between walking and subway distances. Apparently that's how it works in Paris. It will take some time for people to learn how to use it, and there may be issues to work out, but the level of interest, as indicated by initial signups, is encouraging.

The article was just counter-productive smartassism, and disappointing mainly because it was written by someone who claims already to be a cyclist.
    Ubuntu: I am what I am because of who we all are.

Seeking shades of grey
    Years ago I thought I would become a bit more financially savvy and subscribe to the Wall Street Journal. Invariably I found that whenever they mentioned something I knew very much about they got facts wrong or missed the key point. It made me wonder if they also knew their main subject. Subscription cancelled.

Media is produced by and large by people who learned journalism. The grammar and general fairness of reporting will be well attended but the depth and subject comprehension is the weak point.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Haole-Maole View Post
    I always get a real good laugh whenever I see things like this. The next time you see a computer screen in a movie, you can be sure that there is no _real_ computer in real life that could even possibly look like that and actually work. But hey! They do look cool! I'll give 'em that.
    you talking crazy...

Real...ish...er...
    2012 Cervelo R3, 1996 GT Xizang.

RoadBikeReview Member

Non cyclists on cycling

Riding a bike isn't really that complex. Being clueless about it can be kind of funny but no less so than thinking it's some highly esoteric topic.[/QUOTE]

This.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Duane Gran View Post
    Years ago I thought I would become a bit more financially savvy and subscribe to the Wall Street Journal. Invariably I found that whenever they mentioned something I knew very much about they got facts wrong or missed the key point. It made me wonder if they also knew their main subject. Subscription cancelled.

Media is produced by and large by people who learned journalism. The grammar and general fairness of reporting will be well attended but the depth and subject comprehension is the weak point.

Any time I've ever had intimate knowledge of a story that has been reported by the media, I'm always amazed at how badly they screw it up. Even the "News" has devolved into partisian tubthumping, or sensationalized entertainment. I can remember when not knowing a reporters personal views was a thing that was strived for. The constant parade of salaciously dressed female reporters is troubling.

okay, that last part isn't really THAT bad. I mean I can't leave the house in the morning until Julie Durda has told me it's safe outside, but that is because she not just the weather girl, she's a real meteorologist. Don't hate her cuz she put herself through weather school as an NFL cheerleader. Just because I watch her with the sound turned off doesn't mean anything. This is Florida, warm and sunny and it's going to rain for 20 minutes this afternoon. who needs to hear that again and again. Hopefully there will be a shower in Palm Beach so Julie can reach up high to show us. Maybe something is going on in Key West, so Julie can bend over.

Julie Durda is a professional meteorologist damn it.

i'm sorry, what were we talking about?