RoadBikeReview Member

Northwave Aerator shoe users

I have been using Northwave Evolution shoes for the last 6 seasons and have a chance to buy some Northwave Aerators cheap but only by mail order. I liked the Evolutions as they fit my wide feet well and their toe box was a decent size. Any one have a view on the sizing and width? thanks
    i've got limited minutes left in life, don't waste my time

i like whiskey
    The width is plenty wide. Wider than my Sidi's or DMT's. I can't compare them to any other NW's. I've only put a few hundred miles on my Aerators but I'll give them an A- so far. Very stiff and comfy, but they make the balls of my feet go numb. I need to do some more tweaking.

Do a search on Aerator and you'll get some good discussions. There have been several threads on them the last few months.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006
    I have 3 pairs of aerators, but I can't remember the nsames. 2 pair are my "race" shoes. they are shiny silver color with a ratchet. other pair is red/white with 3 velcro straps. my 2 year old shiny ones are now retired. the ratchet pulled out of the shoe. I had a shoes repair glue it back it, but now the ratchet mechanism is stripped. the nwe shiny shoes have a new ratchet design and are much better. the red/white shoes are much wider and have a larger toe box. they are very nice to use inside. for racing however I much prefer the tighter "foot hugging" feel of the shiny ones. I also wear the aerator socks, and if you are careful, and get them on the right feet(they are labled left/right) the sock vents and the shoe vents line up. much appreciated when its 110 on teh road

Cap'n of Industry
    I love the aerators. 1st pair of NWs for me but I wear a 43 in SIDI or Diadora and a 42 NW is a bit larger. The real bonus is they are wide, really wide, comparable to a SIDI Mega. But better than a Mega for me as those are just not quite right front to back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    I've got the Aerator 3-straps - had them for about 18 months now and they are by far the most comfortable cycling shoe I've had. They are roomy in the toe box and plenty stiff enough for racing (if the 3-strap is stiff enough for Boonen then I don't see the point of spending a lot more on the Aerator Race with it's silly ratchet closure).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006
    I don't know, I happen to like the ratchet(after the latest redesign). the ratchet strap has an immobvable feel I don't get from velcro, plus its easier to give a quick lift the ratchet lever than to reposition the velcro strap