RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009

Northwave/Lake/Specialized Shoes

For those who have used these shoes I am looking for advice on fit in relation to each other.

Currently I am riding 2009 S works size 48/14.5 but after 2 years 20000 miles the sole is delaminating after already having had to glue them once. They are the best fitting shoes I have ever worn but Specialized has changed the sizing on the new shoes and I can't get a straight answer in regards to the new fit. The new sizing is 48/13.75 and I need a wide toe box just like the 2009 model.

Also in consideration is the new Northwave Extreme Tech and 3v due to the Speedplay specific drilling. Northwave is supposed to have wide toe boxes but they too have changed their sizing with the new shoes. Can anyone verify how the new sizing is in comparison to the old as in how much narrower?

Lake is also in consideration because of their speedplay drilling and wide toe box. Specifically I am interested in the cx401 and the cx331. I have emailed the new distributor twice and have yet to receive a reply at all which is a concern. Several riders have told me they are the best shoes they have ever worn. England is the only source I have found with the new cx331 in stock.

As a side note which of these shoes would be your choice and why? Thanks so much

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    I would be wary of Lake customer service - both corporate and the north american distributor. Your situation of not hearing back from the lake distributor appears to be common. I recently purchased a pair of lake 330's. They are comfortable off the bike, but mine were built with a valgus forefoot tilt. This is throwing off my ankles and knees. I can not use these shoes. I have seen this as a problem on other forums.
    I have tried contacting Stage Race ( lake distributor) without any success. I have had more success contacting the UK distributor after becoming desperate not hearing from Stage Race. I have even posted this on the Lake facebook page and there has been no response.
    There is too much competition out there to let an unsatisfied customer sit on a pair of defective shoes. While I have been waiting, I ended up purchasing another brand of shoe and they have lost a customer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009

Follow up

Brol you are spot on regarding the Lake North America. As stated I emailed them twice with no reply. I have since contacted a dealer who carries Lake and Northwave and here is what they had to say.

1. Lake will not return the dealers emails/phone calls either and they have no idea when the product will actually show up. It was originally supposed to be this month.

2. Northwave sizing has shrunk to normal widths. Mr. Speedplay's wife has struck again. She has moved on from threatening legal action regarding the pedal rebuild kits to now putting the ax at least temporarily on the speedplay adapter for the new shoes. Man I wish I did not love their pedals so much!

Again if anyone has personal experience with the new Northwave sizing or an update on the speedplay or Lake situation please advise.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    Too bad about the Northwave sizing. Have your tried Shimano?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by brol View Post
    I would be wary of Lake customer service - both corporate and the north american distributor. Your situation of not hearing back from the lake distributor appears to be common.
    FYI, I had success emailing Stage Race (stageracedistribution@gmail.com) and heard back from them within 24 h. They also have a phone number listed on their website (stage-race dot com)

The person I spoke to is very accommodating and has answered a gazillion questions regarding release dates and product availability.

That said, I wish that one could just go online and order a pair of Wide CX401 in 42...

irony intended
    I have S-works 2010 in size 45 and they fit me well, albeit a little long. Narrow but not overly so. I just tried the limited edition s-works s74 in size 44.5, thinking they would be perfect for me----WRONG---$350 down the drain...just too short. But man they do look good.

I also have Lake 330 in size 45 that I got on closeout early 2011 and they fit best, given the wider toe box. I also go speedplay, but I don't think the Lake drilling for speedplay pattern actually makes a difference in the long run. These are all BOA designs. The Lake single dial works fine for me. The two dial on the s-works shoes don't really improve the fit in my case. As always YMMV.

LC
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    I would rather have a shoe that fits well without customer service then sore feet with customer service. Lake has not failed me yet and I can ride all day in them. I was so happy when my Specialized shoe broke, because those shoes limited how far I could ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by carlislegeorge View Post
    I just tried the limited edition s-works s74 in size 44.5, thinking they would be perfect for me----WRONG---$350 down the drain...just too short.
    There is always ebay...

I was amazed how much folks pay for SIDIs on ebay. My (granted, very lightly used) pair of (7 year old) Dominator 5 went for over $80.

irony intended
    Quote Originally Posted by FuelForThought View Post
    There is always ebay...

I was amazed how much folks pay for SIDIs on ebay. My (granted, very lightly used) pair of (7 year old) Dominator 5 went for over $80.
    They will be going on Ebay soon. Tried Craigslist first....