Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    Look up CBD.
    My wife wants ME to get a prescription so that I can buy CBD edibles for HER. She's in nearly constant (mild pain) from all of her running/training and would like something "natural" that doesn't affect her thinking.

I'm on the fence about it. My state allows medical use for a specific list of conditions of which I could *maybe* make a case for one (very painful muscle spasms in my upper back - pot DOES help with that) but I successfully manage that with exercise, stretching, and a new hot tub.

The legit (but not legal) reason I think I'm a candidate for a prescription is that pot helps me with bouts of depression (ergo a lack of motivation and a voracious appetite for booze).

The REAL reason I use (prescription or not) is that it's fun for me and as a grown *ss man holding down a job and mortgage that's all the justification I need.

I love to MTB and snowboard after a couple tokes as long as it's a sunny day. Not sure why that is. I do notice a generally enhanced feeling of being "in the zone" during physical activity (or even just staring at the yard while planning the next landscaping project).

Pooped a refrigerator.
    How do you stand the skunky smell?
    Ghurarmu shirkush’ agh azgushu. Zant ya apakurizak. Gűl-n’ anakhizak.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SauronHimself View Post
    Smell varies with the strain. Some smell like berries, etc. until you burn it.

I mostly use a vaporizer now and that helps A LOT with keeping the smell down. I keep the weed in the freezer and my bowls in the garage unless they're clean.

Cooper1960
    Oct 2010
    I haven't smoked weed in thirty years, but...last year I hurt my hip moving a wood burning stove, lot's of pain and discomfort. A buddy of mine gave me a couple of morphine pills to help deal with the pain, he said they were very low strength. I took one and it stoned the hell out of me, I barely slept that night because I keep breaking out in sweats but the next day I got up and rode a century! The thing is I was still stoned, I felt OK as I was pedaling but every time I stopped I literally couldn't keep my eyes focused and was spaced out. Also I had trouble speaking, like my voice was stressed out.

I ran into some riding buddies and they new instantly something was wrong with me, they wanted to call and get me a ride home but I wouldn't hear of it, I just went about my way. I most certainly was a danger to myself and probably a danger to anyone on the road.
    Miles of agony for moments of ahhh!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    I look at pot as a performance diminishing drug.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikephelps View Post
    I look at pot as a performance diminishing drug.
    Swimphelps might disagree.

I bet it depends on the person and on the strain.

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    I love to MTB and snowboard after a couple tokes as long as it's a sunny day. Not sure why that is.
    yeah, skiing is the best. feels so liberating to smoke on the lift and then fly down the mountain in the bright, shining sun.

hiking high is fun too. but the trail needs to be smooth so you can really enjoy it.

i was thinking about the "sunny day" criteria yesterday after reading this thread -- agree completely.

when i went out yesterday, it was gusty and cold as hell. the last thing i wanted was a hightened sensation of the chill. brrrrrrr.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    Well, Trump's got his plate full chasing Muslim terrorists and Mexican rapists [and drug dealers!], so maybe he'll leave it up to the states to chase down pot heads driving under the influence. All the smokers I've known over the years generally drive like little old ladies or about the same as if they were straight. It is a little like learning a stick shift. Ya gotta pay attention, work with it, and don't get blasted away before going out. Alcohol never seems to work that way. 2 or 3 beers, and drivers don't give a sh!t. There's the problem, right there. Big difference. Portugal, Holland, and Colorado have had pretty good luck. The roads have not turned into killing fields since recreational pot got legalized.

I wouldn't want to ride a big event or race stoned, though. It wouldn't be much fun dealing with the unexpected all the time. But I wouldn't worry about someone else in the group being high. Exercise brings down the high to entirely manageable levels. So its not the big deal people may think it is.

The main thing is what the smoke and tar do to your lungs. It's counterproductive to the main reason most ride, physical fitness. Like any other drug, consume in moderation, know your capabilities, and it opens doors of perception enjoyable on a bike ride.

RE Trump. Between critical tweets, he's indicated where he stands on it.

Washington (CNN)The White House said Thursday it expects law enforcement agents to enforce federal marijuana laws when they come into conflict with states where recreational use of the drug is permitted.

"I do believe you will see greater enforcement of it," White House press secretary Sean Spicer said regarding federal drug laws, which still list marijuana as an illegal substance.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    [QUOTE=MaxKatt;5132136]RE Trump. Between critical tweets, he's indicated where he stands on it.

The party of small government, state's rights, and personal responsibility.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    We are in the "General Cycling" forum- please leave the politics in it's proper forum.

Signed,
    Everybody not interested in the politics forum

RoadBikeReview Member
    Shel Silverstein

Too old to ride plastic

is riding in MOPP4
    I stopped after my buddy developed moobs and had to have them cut out. Can't say for sure that it was the weed. Could have been from the heroin. Either way, I'm not taking any chances.
    Wake me up when it's alarm green.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cooskull View Post
    We are in the "General Cycling" forum- please leave the politics in it's proper forum.

Signed,
    Everybody not interested in the politics forum
    Yep. Don't matter to me. Its been illegal for so long, no big deal. We'll just revert back to the Mexican drug lords.

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper1960 View Post
    I haven't smoked weed in thirty years, but...last year I hurt my hip moving a wood burning stove, lot's of pain and discomfort. A buddy of mine gave me a couple of morphine pills to help deal with the pain, he said they were very low strength. I took one and it stoned the hell out of me, I barely slept that night because I keep breaking out in sweats but the next day I got up and rode a century! The thing is I was still stoned, I felt OK as I was pedaling but every time I stopped I literally couldn't keep my eyes focused and was spaced out. Also I had trouble speaking, like my voice was stressed out.

I ran into some riding buddies and they new instantly something was wrong with me, they wanted to call and get me a ride home but I wouldn't hear of it, I just went about my way. I most certainly was a danger to myself and probably a danger to anyone on the road.
    Come on man, morphine is serious stuff. You can't seriously be trying to say that pot will affect you that badly.

To those who think that even one toke makes you dangerous on a bike - does half a beer make you so? One beer? Two beers? Knowing one's limits is a good thing. Some of us just like a light buzz - whether we get it from alcohol or pot. I don't do anything with large groups high, so I won't be out there is a big organized ride that way. But riding by myself or with a friend or two - that's my choice. The thread asked, I answered. You condemned... that's your issue, not mine.
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cooskull View Post
    That's a bit like saying "I can hold my couple of beers really well, so what's the danger with me driving?". Just like with alcohol BAC, beyond a certain THC limit you are legally impaired- regardless if you think the MJ strain is benign or not.

Are you likely to get tested and busted for being high while biking? Very likely not unless you're involved in a serious accident, but there's no ambiguity about the legality of what you're talking about, even for states who have legalized recreational use.
    It is more like the difference between drinking a 3.2% beer or drinking a double shot of Bacardi 151. One is going to put you over the limit while another might not. Know the difference.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by SauronHimself View Post
    That's actually my main complaint with weed in Colorado, the grows are terribly stinky and on a bike you can smell them riding by. It's a legit issue in commercial real estate, as well as with retail sales. It'll drive other tenants out.

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by harryman View Post
    That's actually my main complaint with weed in Colorado, the grows are terribly stinky and on a bike you can smell them riding by. It's a legit issue in commercial real estate, as well as with retail sales. It'll drive other tenants out.
    Hmmm... this comment reminds me of a rider's comments in the last few miles of the Annual Assault on Mt Mitchell (I didn't know him - just another rider in a big event). As we were ascending up through the Canadian Fir zone I made the comment that I loved the smell of those trees. He took an exaggerated whiff and said "I know what you mean. It smells almost as good as pot!"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bradkay View Post
    Hmmm... this comment reminds me of a rider's comments in the last few miles of the Annual Assault on Mt Mitchell (I didn't know him - just another rider in a big event). As we were ascending up through the Canadian Fir zone I made the comment that I loved the smell of those trees. He took an exaggerated whiff and said "I know what you mean. It smells almost as good as pot!"
    Heck yeah.

The smell is the incense of understanding and love, just like back on Haight Street in '67. We compared it to Indians sitting down together sharing the peace pipe. This in marked contrast to the rutting, fighting, shouting, wild eyed, nasty, vomiting, beer boozers out crashing their cars wantonly into the power poles after an evening of drunken excess. Pot doesn't do that to people.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    I'd always found it performance diminishing (although I didn't care) until I found Sativa.

gazing from the shadows
    I am all in favor of people altering their consciousness in any way they see fit.

However, in situations where a moment of distraction can lead to death, death caused by someone ELSE'S actions, I don't see the pay off being worth the risk.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    I am all in favor of people altering their consciousness in any way they see fit.

However, in situations where a moment of distraction can lead to death, death caused by someone ELSE'S actions, I don't see the pay off being worth the risk.
    And riding a bicycle is likely to lead to someone else's death?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    It is more like the difference between drinking a 3.2% beer or drinking a double shot of Bacardi 151. One is going to put you over the limit while another might not. Know the difference.
    For the record I'm not condemning pot smokers. In fact I voted for legalization here in Colorado even though I don't use it, mainly because I do believe it is a less dangerous substance than alcohol.

Since MJ has so many unknowns because it can't be scientifically studied due to it's drug classification under federal law, Colorado has had a hard time defining what the THC limit for driving (and by extension bike riding) impairment should be. Anecdotally hospital reports seem to indicate a small percentage of new users suffer severe psychotic reactions at THC levels that are no problem for most other users.

I guess my point of all this is this: Colorado and a few other states have, with considerable risk and unknowns, legalized recreational use. As someone who voted for this "experiment" I expect users to obey the law we put into place, even if the laws seem a bit conservative at first until we get some data. In CO this means not smoking in public and keeping THC levels below a certain level when driving/bicycling. To me this is a bit like the bike riders who blatantly blow through stop signs and lights and give cycling a bad reputation to non-cyclists- don't ruin your chance to make a favorable impression!

gazing from the shadows
    And riding a bicycle is likely to lead to someone else's death?
    Far less likely than driving a car. But it can happen. Force an emergency swerve that takes them off an embankment, for example.

However, I was talking about how someone else's action in a car could kill a cyclist, and how a distracted cyclist is less able to respond to such threats quickly.

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Far less likely than driving a car. But it can happen. Force an emergency swerve that takes them off an embankment, for example.

However, I was talking about how someone else's action in a car could kill a cyclist, and how a distracted cyclist is less able to respond to such threats quickly.
    Then we can assume that you are also adamantly against the use of handlebar mounted GPS devices or cellphones using apps like "Map My Ride" or "Strava"?

After all, a moment's inattention might cause someone's death.

gazing from the shadows
    Then we can assume that you are also adamantly against the use of handlebar mounted GPS devices or cellphones using apps like "Map My Ride" or "Strava"?

After all, a moment's inattention might cause someone's death.
    I don't think my tone was one of adamantium.

I don't use GPS or Strava or a cell when riding. If I did, it would be for data collection, and any looking at them would be on the order of a glance at the speedo in the car. A brief glance as part of my general scanning of the situation. For anything longer, a second or two, I would assess when would be a good time to do that (straight section of road, no traffic.) If I had to do more, like download something or set something up, I would pull over.

Car accidents are caused by changing radio stations all the time. If people check traffic before changing stations, then the risk is reduced. Being situationally aware requires a degree of focus, focus which pot will affect. As I said, I don't see the pay off as being worth the risk.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast