Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 126 to 150 of 186
  1. #126
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: BCSaltchucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,218
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftSolo View Post
    Intoxicants, while providing temporary enjoyment, take users in the opposite direction on that continuum.
    except for the fact that . you are plain wrong on this. It is like saying that sex takes user in the opposite direction 'on that continuum' whatever that means. Example: an orgasm is essentially just a shot of powerful intoxicant going off in the brain in very temporary fashion. Same with extreme exertion endorphins, pleasurable sensations from laughter etc. There is a chemical component to these sensations very much like some 'intoxicants.' It's why 'intoxicants' work they stimulate our pre existing chemical receptor sites we get intoxicated with even if we never take man made intoxicants.

    As for the drug as a self-help aid idea consider this: comrades getting together for a few drinks is undeniably a very healthy and helpful way to bring people together, reduce some of their social inhibitions to make it easier to bond, to laugh and build relationships. Heck it also helps to ensure procreation and reduce sexual starvation. Artists have been known to come to great new visions and innovations under the influence of drugs like absinthe and LSD. The innovators of Jazz (and the Bebop geniuses especially) is known to have flourished in the presence of a lot of marijuana. Finally, just having good wine or beer with dinner massively enhances the taste pleasure centres too, making a meal more balanced, interesting, satisfying and memorable.

    I agree with Bradkay, hedonism within reason is generally a good thing. Puritanism is inherently a mean and bitter worldview imho. social and legislative puritanism is tyranny
    Last edited by BCSaltchucker; 03-19-2017 at 12:44 PM.

  2. #127
    a real member's member
    Reputation: blackfrancois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    2,552
    Quote Originally Posted by bradkay View Post
    Ah yeas, the American puritanical attitude towards life. Everything must be aimed at getting ahead - at "improving yourself" (as long as the methods of "improving yourself" meet with their approval). There is no room for just taking a little time off and enjoying the moment - you have to be working at "improving". Nose to the grindstone and all that.
    thanks. that reminds me of a fine song:

    ambition by smog from the album supper

    Quote Originally Posted by bill callahan
    Well I've got to get there
    Now don't I
    And when I get there
    I've got to sleep well
    Now don't I
    And when I wake up in the morning
    Gotta wake up in the morning
    Now don't I
    When I meet with them
    Gotta be on the ball
    Now don't I
    When I do their dirt
    I've get to feel numb
    Now don't I
    When it's all said and done I
    I just got to celebrate
    Now don't I
    When I'm done celebrating I
    I just have to unwind
    Now don't I
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

  3. #128
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    452
    WHILE riding?

    Some of you need to seek professional help to figure what the problem is that would cause you wanting to get high whilst out riding your bike.

  4. #129
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,709
    Quote Originally Posted by Aadub View Post
    WHILE riding?

    Some of you need to seek professional help to figure what the problem is that would cause you wanting to get high whilst out riding your bike.
    It's like ketchup on a hot dog, it enhances the flavor.
    Too old to ride plastic

  5. #130
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,709
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    It's like ketchup on a hot dog, it enhances the flavor.
    Thing is, ketchup got no place on a hot dog.
    Too old to ride plastic

  6. #131
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    715
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Thing is, ketchup got no place on a hot dog.

  7. #132
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    7,340
    Quote Originally Posted by bradkay View Post
    Ah yeas, the American puritanical attitude towards life. Everything must be aimed at getting ahead - at "improving yourself" (as long as the methods of "improving yourself" meet with their approval). There is no room for just taking a little time off and enjoying the moment - you have to be working at "improving". Nose to the grindstone and all that...

    Thanks, but no thanks. Life is too short to live that way.
    Yeah well, I've taken the last 20 years off to enjoy myself (I retired at age 51). It's part of the constant and never ending improvement. Until then it was work hard and play hard. Why kill time when you'll have an eternity to kill soon enough.

    You'll be hard pressed to get me to want to have done it any other way.

  8. #133
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    7,340
    It must be every druggy's ambition to lay on his death bed wishing he'd pissed away more of his life?

    This state of stupor is a pretty pathetic devolution back to chimpanzees--only with academic indoctrination. It's unfortunate that the numb brained hippies from the 60's so thoroughly infiltrated the education system.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    thanks. that reminds me of a fine song:

    ambition by smog from the album supper

  9. #134
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: BCSaltchucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,218
    who is this 'druggy' and who is in a stupor? nobody's talking about being a lousy drunkard, perma-stoner or heroin junkie down the wrong side of the tracks, as you assume all MJ users are.

    MJ is as normal and acceptable and definitely non-wasteful thing to partake in. it is similar to having wine with dinner or beer after a ride.

    one thing is for sure, this world has a lot of judgmental uptight presumptuous asshoels whom would improve themselves and the world immensely if they toked up once or twice a week and acquired some perspective and understanding from the experience.

    Can easily waste too much of life riding a bike, just as easily as watching too much TV, getting drunk too often or doing too many post-docs, LOL.
    Last edited by BCSaltchucker; 03-19-2017 at 09:45 PM.

  10. #135
    Cycling Addict
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    2,943
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftSolo View Post
    Yeah well, I've taken the last 20 years off to enjoy myself (I retired at age 51). It's part of the constant and never ending improvement. Until then it was work hard and play hard. Why kill time when you'll have an eternity to kill soon enough.

    You'll be hard pressed to get me to want to have done it any other way.
    Nobody is forcing you to do anything that you don't want to do, but "enjoying the moment" isn't "killing time" - it is making the most of that time. I have no problem with somebody who doesn't want to or like to smoke marijuana, just as I have no problem with somebody who doesn't want to or like to drink alcohol. I do have a problem with those who decide that because they don't like something then no one else should either. That, to me, is the height of arrogance.
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

  11. #136
    a real member's member
    Reputation: blackfrancois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    2,552
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    who is this 'druggy' and who is in a stupor?
    it's called a strawman.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

  12. #137
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Fredrico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    22,081
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftSolo View Post
    It must be every druggy's ambition to lay on his death bed wishing he'd pissed away more of his life?

    This state of stupor is a pretty pathetic devolution back to chimpanzees--only with academic indoctrination. It's unfortunate that the numb brained hippies from the 60's so thoroughly infiltrated the education system.
    Shucks, man. You just figured it out. Always wondered where the political correct goody two shoes, granola munching, socialist, unwashed, university professors, parsing such things as "what, actually, IS racist?" ["Am I a racist and don't know it? "] I know who you're talking about.

    Their brains are fried from years of smoking pot, eating mushrooms, popping LSD, and grooving on Beatles songs. I wouldn't go as far as "chimpanzees," but I know what you mean. Sh!t!

    The ideal family would be just like Trump's. He may grab 'em in the crotch but has deciduously avoided drugs and alcohol, disciplined to play it straight. That's what ya gotta do if you want to retire at 51, right?

  13. #138
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    7,340
    Your perspective would be marketable if I hadn't been an employer for the past 35 years. The correlation between the lack of ambition and pot smoking is far too pervasive to be a coincidence.

    Admittedly, I have no idea which was the cause and which the effect.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    who is this 'druggy' and who is in a stupor? nobody's talking about being a lousy drunkard, perma-stoner or heroin junkie down the wrong side of the tracks, as you assume all MJ users are.

    MJ is as normal and acceptable and definitely non-wasteful thing to partake in. it is similar to having wine with dinner or beer after a ride.

    one thing is for sure, this world has a lot of judgmental uptight presumptuous asshoels whom would improve themselves and the world immensely if they toked up once or twice a week and acquired some perspective and understanding from the experience.

    Can easily waste too much of life riding a bike, just as easily as watching too much TV, getting drunk too often or doing too many post-docs, LOL.

  14. #139
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    7,340
    Yes, it is arrogant "to have a problem with" people who cause roughly have of the traffic and gun violence deaths in the US.

    If we'd all just smoke more pot and drink more, our minds would realize that fundamental truth. Nothing leads to clear thinking and good outcomes like hallucinogens and intoxicants.
    Quote Originally Posted by bradkay View Post
    Nobody is forcing you to do anything that you don't want to do, but "enjoying the moment" isn't "killing time" - it is making the most of that time. I have no problem with somebody who doesn't want to or like to smoke marijuana, just as I have no problem with somebody who doesn't want to or like to drink alcohol. I do have a problem with those who decide that because they don't like something then no one else should either. That, to me, is the height of arrogance.

  15. #140
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,054
    could you imagine swiftsolo at parties....

  16. #141
    xxl
    xxl is offline
    Moderator
    Reputation: xxl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    29,714
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftSolo View Post
    Enjoyment is the ongoing "high" you feel as you work you way along the continuum of constant and never ending improvement of various aspects on your life. That includes providing opportunity for others to engage as well.

    Intoxicants, while providing temporary enjoyment, take users in the opposite direction on that continuum.
    Sounds like stoner talk to justify the need to get "high" to enjoy your life.
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

  17. #142
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    631
    Reading this thread with amusement - some things never change.

    Maybe a relevant article from Runner's World -
    Is Marijuana the Source of a New Runner's High?

    Is Marijuana the Source of a New Runner's High? | Runner's World

  18. #143
    a real member's member
    Reputation: blackfrancois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    2,552
    pretty good article. thanks.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

  19. #144
    Cycling Addict
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    2,943
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftSolo View Post
    Yes, it is arrogant "to have a problem with" people who cause roughly have of the traffic and gun violence deaths in the US.

    If we'd all just smoke more pot and drink more, our minds would realize that fundamental truth. Nothing leads to clear thinking and good outcomes like hallucinogens and intoxicants.
    Pot smokers cause roughly half the traffic and gun violence deaths in the US?? You must be using the same alternative facts as Jeff Sessions. The good thing is that fewer and fewer people are being suckered by those misconceptions.
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

  20. #145
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    7,340
    Quote Originally Posted by bradkay View Post
    Pot smokers cause roughly half the traffic and gun violence deaths in the US?? You must be using the same alternative facts as Jeff Sessions. The good thing is that fewer and fewer people are being suckered by those misconceptions.
    The trouble with drugs and alcohol is that they make a person forget what they posted a little while earlier.

    To help you out, it was your statement I was responding to that went something like this:
    "I have no problem with somebody who doesn't want to or like to smoke marijuana, just as I have no problem with somebody who doesn't want to or like to drink alcohol".

    To which I responded"
    Yes, it is arrogant "to have a problem with" people who cause roughly have of the traffic and gun violence deaths in the US.

    Not to worry, confusion is part of the substance abuse problem.
    Last edited by SwiftSolo; 03-20-2017 at 07:37 PM.

  21. #146
    Cycling Addict
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    2,943
    I haven't had anything to smoke in weeks, but that quote still doesn't justify your comments. Why? Because I said that I have no problem with someone who doesn't want to or like to drink alcohol.

    Your arrogance is in demanding that no one ever do either at any time. People can use alcohol in moderation and never be involved in those issues you mentioned. We tried the prohibition of alcohol in the nation, remember? All it did was create a new, enlarged criminal society.

    If you don't want to do either, fine. But that does not make you superior in any way to someone who uses either of those intoxicants in moderation.

    BTW: that is awfully nice of you to hint that someone here has a substance abuse problem. It borders on a posting violation...
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

  22. #147
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: BCSaltchucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,218
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftSolo View Post
    Yes, it is arrogant "to have a problem with" people who cause roughly have of the traffic and gun violence deaths in the US.

    If we'd all just smoke more pot and drink more, our minds would realize that fundamental truth. Nothing leads to clear thinking and good outcomes like hallucinogens and intoxicants.
    well now it's just trolling, making up crazy illogical stuff
    Last edited by BCSaltchucker; 03-20-2017 at 09:19 PM.

  23. #148
    Forever a Student
    Reputation: MMsRepBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    4,392
    I can see at least one person here who could benefit greatly from a large dose of hallucinogens, maybe some LSD or something. Highly recommended. Does wonders for eliminating that pesky ego and narrow-minded thinking.
    use a torque wrench

  24. #149
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Fredrico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    22,081
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftSolo View Post
    The trouble with drugs and alcohol is that they make a person forget what they posted a little while earlier.

    To help you out, it was your statement I was responding to that went something like this:
    "I have no problem with somebody who doesn't want to or like to smoke marijuana, just as I have no problem with somebody who doesn't want to or like to drink alcohol".

    To which I responded"
    Yes, it is arrogant "to have a problem with" people who cause roughly have of the traffic and gun violence deaths in the US.

    Not to worry, confusion is part of the substance abuse problem.
    Go back to English class. You said, half the traffic and gun homicides are caused by stoners. Where do you get that?

    It's drunks committing homicides on the roads, and gangsters killing each other for a piece of the action in a lucrative market driven underground, like happened during Prohibition. Colorado and Washington, Portugal and Holland, have had no uptick in criminal activity upon legalizing cannabis.

    The problem is of opioid addictions. They're the "gateway" drug to addictive behavior pushed by the drug companies. Doctors prescribe them because they work great. Addicts go on to heroin when the prescriptions run out.

    The drug companies foster a culture of drug dependency. Doctors prescribe medicines for every ailment on the books. I just gave up a year's dependency on this heart medicine that did nothing, and a drug that old men with enlarged prostates think they have to depend on to pee, and an over the counter stomach acid inhibitor that started making me dizzy, my pee cloudy, and known to destroy the kidneys. Haven't felt better in years! I thought I was getting old!

    Cannabis is a great pain killer. It works very well. The oils and edibles are long lasting, don't make you dopey, and non addictive. What's not to like about that? Cannabis is a great alternative to booze or opioids.
    Last edited by Fredrico; 03-20-2017 at 11:30 PM.

  25. #150
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Fredrico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    22,081
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    I can see at least one person here who could benefit greatly from a large dose of hallucinogens, maybe some LSD or something. Highly recommended. Does wonders for eliminating that pesky ego and narrow-minded thinking.
    Yeah. Here ya go:

    https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...95&action=view

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 61
    Last Post: 05-14-2013, 03:41 AM
  2. Sits bones Burn and burn bad after 3 hours or so
    By rlmeskimen in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-13-2008, 05:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •