Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009

now that it's mostly legal does anyone burn......

while riding?
    Last edited by factory feel; 03-06-2017 at 04:59 PM.

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    I do on some rides - usually a Sativa heavy hybrid that leaves me more energetic. On long solo rides I will and on any ride with significant rain. The latter comes from an experience way back in '79 or '80.

I was riding from Athens to Atlanta to visit my mom for Thanksgiving. It was raining pretty steadily all day and I was fairly miserable after having to stop once to fix a flat. I was riding along on a quiet rural road somewhere south of Bethlehem when an old pickup pulls up next to me and the driver calls out "Would you like a ride?" I answered that I was okay and he responded "Are you sure?" I looked over and he was holding a joint. I said, "Okay" and we loaded my bike in the back of the truck and drove off down the road smoking that joint. Our routes diverged after only a few miles but the rest of the cold rainy ride was a lot less miserable. Now when I am faced with a cold, rainy ride I will stop and smoke a little and then ride on with a much happier demeanor. It helps that I now live in Washington state where I can purchase legally in a store (for now).
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

a real member's member
    ^ i love that story! tell us another! please!

i will on occasion, especially if i'm riding to meet someone. i had a close call once when i wasn't altogether aware of my surroundings, so that kinda sticks in my mind. I'm certainly more energetic on my bike when going without.

an older friend of mine that i've done some rebuilds for has paid me in good stuff his son grows. it's a win-win.

he and i went on one 60 mile ride last year. we stopped several times to chill, eat, and hang by the river. each time, he smoked. and then hopped back on his vintage italian and hauled ass down the highway. it was rather impressive.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

Forever a Student
    While? No.

Before and after? Always.

use a torque wrench

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    While? No.

Before and after? Always.

Well, in my college years a couple of friends and I tried to smoke a joint while riding. We quickly realized that the joint was burning way too fast due to the wind created by our riding pace. We decided to stop and finish it before continuing. Since then I have not smoked "while riding" but will take a stop on occasion for a quick hit before continuing with the ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    What a hoot. A thread on a respectable cycling site on cannabis! Who woulda known?

Smoking a couple of j's every day sure will cut into a rider's lung power. Then again, my lungs got hammered from 15 years of cigarettes. I do notice better lung power after a couple of weeks of not smoking weed, probably a measurable increase in VO2 max.

Back in ETX a couple of buddies and I used to ride all the time stoned. It was illegal, so we'd light up before the ride. We also had some interesting adventures into the cow pastures looking for mushrooms. The time we each ate one and then rode home was quite interesting. Energy levels were strong, along with heightened sensory perceptions.

Have never had any problems riding under the influence. In fact, aside from the slight VO2 max. handicap, cannabis enhances the experience. I hunker down and enjoy myself; situational awareness increases rather than diminishes, as long as I'm pay attention, which, stoned, ain't at all that hard. . Don't need to get blasted away, either. A couple of tokes will do it right.

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    "Don't need to get blasted away, either. A couple of tokes will do it right."

And that is the joy of living in a state where it is legal. You can buy a gram of some decent weed and taking a toke or two before and/or during a ride gives you just the high you want - because you've been able to choose just the right strain. In college I would go through an ounce a month, now a gram lasts three months....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Damn. Another reason to miss firing up. My wife put an end to it because her brother gives it a bad name.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    I occasionally do with a stoner friend of mine. Problem is today's GMO weed is way too strong but in a bad way,so once I'm done puffing I'm done doing everything else for the rest of the day and that sucks,I'm basically turned into a zombie...

Huge in Japan
    I used to but not much any more. The physical activity rides the buzz out so fast it doesn't seem worth it. Or maybe it's me getting older and being pickier about time, place and setting. Haven't actually burned in over a year though, everything gets vaporized now and I did notice a difference going from burning to vaping. I do partake on the more leisurely rides that I occasionally do with some older friends.
    Interwebs bumpersticker goes here

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    while riding?
    My company does work for the federal government so their position is that its illegal, period, no matter what state you live in and if you fail a test, you're fired

RoadBikeReview Member
    Not only do we have to worry about stoned drivers on the road, we got the doobie brothers in the pack! Great......do us a favour and get jersey's with big leaf's on them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    What am I missing

The thread starts with someone getting into a car with a driver smoking a joint, justified by the fact that it is legal to buy in Washington. Is it also legal to operate a motor vehicle under the influence? Explain how this is different from getting into a vehicle with a driver with an open beer.

With all of the comments about e bikers being dangerous because of a lack of handling skills, we now have posters talking about compromised skills like it is desirable

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    oh crap, stoned e-bikers terrorizing the M U T....

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbie View Post
    What am I missing

The thread starts with someone getting into a car with a driver smoking a joint, justified by the fact that it is legal to buy in Washington. Is it also legal to operate a motor vehicle under the influence? Explain how this is different from getting into a vehicle with a driver with an open beer.

With all of the comments about e bikers being dangerous because of a lack of handling skills, we now have posters talking about compromised skills like it is desirable
    It is illegal to drive under the influence, just as it is to drive while drinking.

Devastazione wrote:
    "I occasionally do with a stoner friend of mine. Problem is today's GMO weed is way too strong but in a bad way,so once I'm done puffing I'm done doing everything else for the rest of the day and that sucks,I'm basically turned into a zombie... "

Here is where legal weed becomes an advantage. You get to know not only what the strain is - indica tends to make you blotto while sativa tends to be an uplifting high (hybrids handle this best) - but you also get to know just how strong it is because the THC content is tested and listed. When you buy illegal cannabis you get what is there - and that tends to lean towards the indica heavy hybrids because that is what stoners want. However, people who just want a little buzz to help take the edge off their arthritis (or just the day) are helped extremely in legal states where they can buy a strain that serves just their purpose.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    i'm not debating whether legalizing is good or bad. However getting into a truck with someone and smoking while driving down the road is an issue. I've done some stupid things in my life, I just don't make it sound like it was a good experience. This is how I read your first post.

I would think it is pretty clear, riding while impaired is not something to be bragging about, legal or not.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Define impaired.

If I stay up all night and am a zombie, should I not ride my bike because I'm impaired? If I go to a brewery and have a single beer? Or one hit?

I live where it's legal, I don't use weed because I don't like the high, I don't like to smoke and edibles either do nothing or make me feel poisoned. To each their own though.

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbie View Post
    i'm not debating whether legalizing is good or bad. However getting into a truck with someone and smoking while driving down the road is an issue. I've done some stupid things in my life, I just don't make it sound like it was a good experience. This is how I read your first post.

I would think it is pretty clear, riding while impaired is not something to be bragging about, legal or not.
    I was relating a story that happened in the 1970s. Deal with it.

Cycling after taking a toke is not dangerous. Cycling while blotto is. If you don't know the difference, then we have nothing more to discuss. Those who do know the difference might enjoy the information.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Well,maybe your mighty fine president won't keep it legal for long..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bradkay View Post
    I was relating a story that happened in the 1970s. Deal with it.

Cycling after taking a toke is not dangerous. Cycling while blotto is. If you don't know the difference, then we have nothing more to discuss. Those who do know the difference might enjoy the information.
    That's a bit like saying "I can hold my couple of beers really well, so what's the danger with me driving?". Just like with alcohol BAC, beyond a certain THC limit you are legally impaired- regardless if you think the MJ strain is benign or not.

Are you likely to get tested and busted for being high while biking? Very likely not unless you're involved in a serious accident, but there's no ambiguity about the legality of what you're talking about, even for states who have legalized recreational use.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    Define impaired

Compromised. Statistically if you are a zombie from lack of sleep, you are impaired. There is no legal standard, but you are far more likely to be involved in an accident if you are driving. Truck drivers have limits on the number hours they can drive for this reason.

Does one toke make you impaired? No, but do you stop at one toke, or do you continue until you feel the effects. Being impaired starts long befor being blotto. I will take you at your word about 1 or 2 tokes, but how many drivers have said, "I only had 2 beers, or I was barely buzzed.

Nothing more to discuss. You are correct. We understand each other quite well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Devastazione View Post
    Well,maybe your mighty fine president won't keep it legal for long..
    Well, Trump's got his plate full chasing Muslim terrorists and Mexican rapists [and drug dealers!], so maybe he'll leave it up to the states to chase down pot heads driving under the influence. All the smokers I've known over the years generally drive like little old ladies or about the same as if they were straight. It is a little like learning a stick shift. Ya gotta pay attention, work with it, and don't get blasted away before going out. Alcohol never seems to work that way. 2 or 3 beers, and drivers don't give a sh!t. There's the problem, right there. Big difference. Portugal, Holland, and Colorado have had pretty good luck. The roads have not turned into killing fields since recreational pot got legalized.

I wouldn't want to ride a big event or race stoned, though. It wouldn't be much fun dealing with the unexpected all the time. But I wouldn't worry about someone else in the group being high. Exercise brings down the high to entirely manageable levels. So its not the big deal people may think it is.

The main thing is what the smoke and tar do to your lungs. It's counterproductive to the main reason most ride, physical fitness. Like any other drug, consume in moderation, know your capabilities, and it opens doors of perception enjoyable on a bike ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I guess I'll trust that there's now a such thing as weed that doesn't impair. Back in the day that was known as fake and selling it was not conducive to keeping facial features in tact.

But anyway, what's the point of smoking weed that gives no impairment?
    I can't help but think anyone who says they smoke and aren't impaired is either wrong or for some reason wants to put smoke in their lungs for no apparent reason.

Forever a Student
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    I guess I'll trust that there's now a such thing as weed that doesn't impair. Back in the day that was known as fake and selling it was not conducive to keeping facial features in tact.

But anyway, what's the point of smoking weed that gives no impairment?
    I can't help but think anyone who says they smoke and aren't impaired is either wrong or for some reason wants to put smoke in their lungs for no apparent reason.
    Look up CBD.
    use a torque wrench

Fecal indicator
    haven't smoked in ages, but when I did I distinctly recall not enjoying doing any type of sports while high.

tried running, cycling, swimming, basketball while high and the experiences were all pretty similar...the activity was not as fun and I wasn't as proficient as when I was straight.

tossing a frisbee around was ok...

riding on the road in traffic while stoned sounds irresponsible at best.
    the 45th POTUS is inept, corrupt, and a pathological liar. and those may be his better qualities...

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast