RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012

Numb groin on trainer

OK so I finally bit the bullet and got a trainer and a Zwift account to try to stay fit through the New England winter. However I have noticed that about a half hour into my rides, my groin (I'm a man) has gone scarily numb. I typically will ride for another 20-30 mins and then have to quit lest anything be permanently damaged!

I checked the saddle angle before my last ride and it was right where it usually is -- just a tiny bit below level.

I never have this problem riding outside for rides of any length.

Anyone have any idea why this is happening? Perhaps just being in the exact same position for the entire ride without any movement on the saddle as opposed to the road where there is some shifting depending on the terrain.

Anyone have a suggestion for how to fix it?

Many thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by El Bishop View Post

Anyone have any idea why this is happening? Perhaps just being in the exact same position for the entire ride without any movement on the saddle as opposed to the road where there is some shifting depending on the terrain.
    You got it.

Naturally standing and moving around more helps. A saddle with a cut out would likely help with that too. If you want to try messing with saddle height it's much more likely that going down would help then going up.

I haven't been able to totally solve it myself. 2 hours is my max on a trainer before the pain gets pretty bad despite 6 or more being no problem on the road.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Although you're not outside you still need to stand up every so often, if you're doing intervals then during the recovery periods, and if just plodding along make a note to stand up for a few seconds once every 5 or 10 minutes.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yep, stand up and move around more and you will be much more comfortable. Longer intervals make that more obvious, like multiples of 20 or 25 minutes.
    Moderation is boring - do epic s##t

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    It's a sign from God herself, that trainers are stupid and you should have used that money to purchase better cold weather gear.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    All the above advice is good.

Check the angle of your saddle WHILE IT'S ON THE TRAINER. If the bike isn't level, your saddle isn't in its customary position. It wouldn't hurt to change your saddle angle if you'll be on the trainer for many winter sessions. This is especially true if you ride rollers because most rollers tilt the front end of the bike up slightly. Riding the hoods or drops while on these rollers can cause discomfort.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
    All the above advice is good.
    I appreciate that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Not to be a total shill, but if your bike in the trainer is causing numbness and damage, you're probably also causing damage on the road, too. It does add up.

Consider adjusting your saddle nose down, or get a more modern saddle that takes your weight off of your groin and puts it on the pelvic bones where it belongs.
    Get a better saddle: www.kontactbike.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    Most likely your floor is not level.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Bingo! I rode out of the saddle for two minutes for every ten minutes in the saddle and no more numbness. Many thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    This is ne of the reasons why I could never really get into using a trainer...so I ended up selling mine, but then again I was not in New England

RoadBikeReview Member
    Bingo! I rode out of the saddle for two minutes for every ten minutes in the saddle and no more numbness. Many thanks!
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Yep, works for me too. I usually shift gears 2 notches harder before standing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2015
    Yes standing now and then is a must.

Also, they make front tire blocks with different front wheel height settings. I have the Kurt Kinetic one and it does make a difference in groin sensory depending how high your front wheel is off the ground. Sort of the same thing as adjusting your actual seat angle.

Try different front wheel heights.