Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011

Nuun Hyrdration Tab

I've been reading these forums for about a month now, so I decided to register! And here I am.

My local grocery store started carrying Nuun not too long ago. I tried it out and it tasted pretty good, but I have never used it when cycling or any other acitivity.

I was wondering, does anyone use it? If so, how do you like it?

(I apologize if I am in the wrong forum category)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    I been using them for year and seem to work well for electrolyte replacement. Very handy for transporting for long rides - just add water. They do not leave the sugar residue some others leave behind.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    I like them because they are easy and cheaper than buying a gatoraid or whatever at the store during rest stops.

As for how they work as and electrolyte replcement.....I have no idea. I'm not scientific about tracking my performance and electrolytes. But for sure as a cheap easy way to have a drink other than water available on board the bike they are great IMO. Not that carring power is difficult though.

Shut Up And Ride!
    I've used nuun for a number of years and it's great stuff. What I like about nuun is the lack of sugar (it's evil) and light taste. That they're a great company is a bonus.

Depending upon my ride length, etc, I usually use nuun exclusively. If it's an exceptionally long ride, I'll have one bottle with something that has more calories.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't know what or how you ride, but nuun is great for electrolyte replacement, but since it pretty much completely lacks calories on rides stretching 3-4 hours you will need to either take a gel, eat something, or have a bottle with some calories like infinit/perpetuem.
    "I'm a real athlete, I'm not trying to be the best at exercising." - Kenny Powers

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

use them

Quote Originally Posted by GPcycling
    I've been reading these forums for about a month now, so I decided to register! And here I am.

My local grocery store started carrying Nuun not too long ago. I tried it out and it tasted pretty good, but I have never used it when cycling or any other acitivity.

I was wondering, does anyone use it? If so, how do you like it?

(I apologize if I am in the wrong forum category)
    I stop using Gatorade a couple of years ago and switched to Nuun tablets, mainly to reduce calories and sugar. Its hard to easily compare but I do think they provide benefits on longer rides. I have not experineced any negatives. BTW I also find that provide some relief from the occasional hangover!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sugar is evil? Better stop eating fruit and honey then. And many fruits have a higher percentage of fructose than high fructose corn syrup. And fructose IS arguably bad.

NUUN tastes pretty good but I prefer plain water unless on really long sweaty rides where I'm concerned about electrolytes. NUUN is convenient to keep and carry on the road to be able to add to water when needed. I have some to take with on trips. But I'm just as happy with Gatorade or anything similar if it's convenient or available..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    I sweat a lot and I started using Nuun last year and I really like it.. on a hard effort as the temperature goes up I am much less likely to have negative effects (stuff like headaches, cramping, etc..) after the ride using Nuun vs. Gatorade or water..

I do occasionally throw a little sugar in the bottle too if it's first thing in the morning and I need to get calories in fast, but Nuun + Real food seems to work really well for me.

I use 1/2 a tab when the weather is cooler or it's a short ride, if it's longer and/or hotter I throw the whole tablet in..

Really great stuff! I think the key is it has quite a bit more potassium, etc.. then common stuff like Gatorade. No sugar means less upset stomach too.. in the right conditions the HFCS Gatorade will make me start burping like crazy during a ride. More and more premixed Gatorade has eliminated HFCS the last couple years though which is a great thing for me personally, but carrying a couple extra tablets of the Nuun product is still easier then hunting down gatorade at gas stations.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The stuff is great. There is also a competing brand called Zym that work just as well and are available with caffeine. Which is a nice kick on longer rides.

I just use clif bars and gels for calories during a long ride.

Fierce Pancake
    Another vote in favour. I ride in extreme heat sometimes and Nuun has fixed any problems I had with cramping. It doens't mess up my water bottles either - just rinse and re-use. It's easy to carry a tube or a tab around. I only use it for 2-hour rides or longer, and then I take one tab with half a litre of water.

You can also get Nuun with caffeine - Kona Kola favour.
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Poast of the Day™.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    You could just sprinkle some salt in your water bottles and be done with it. For me they're expensive, but if money isn't a concern then go ahead and use the Nuuns.

For me calories are what I need. I prefer to put 10oz of grape juice in each of my 24oz bottles. It tastes great and it keeps me drinking and sucking in that sugar to fuel HIT workouts.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks for all the replies. I greatly appreciate it. I'll have to try it out next time I go out on a longer ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    I used to use Nuun tabs until I found that the CamelBak Elixir tabs are cheaper and you get more... Also tastes more "sweet" than Nuun.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The stuff is great, but expensive when you consider Morton's lite salt
    can do the same thing for pennies a shot.
    All I said was that our son, the apple of our three eyes, Martha being a cyclops, our son is a beanbag, and you get testy!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pog0
    I used to use Nuun tabs until I found that the CamelBak Elixir tabs are cheaper and you get more....and it's sweeter.
    Prices I've seen comes out a bit higher for Elixir. Elixir makes 33% more but costs 50% more.

NUUN is already too sweet for my preferences...especially on longer rides.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by looigi
    Prices I've seen comes out a bit higher for Elixir. Elixir makes 33% more but costs 50% more.

NUUN is already too sweet for my preferences...especially on longer rides.
    Both are about 7-8 bucks depending where you go around my area. If Perpeteum tasted better, I would drink that. I was thinking about finding unflavored Perpeteum to mix with Heed or Nuun/Elixir.

Big is relative
    In San Diego, one of the local shops would buy a big bag of dextrose powder. A scoop of dextrose (75# bag was $40) and a Nuun made a great energy drink. The stuff by itself is good for preventing cramps and post ride rehydration. It's a great product.
    Retired sailor

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

This

Quote Originally Posted by phoehn9111
    The stuff is great, but expensive when you consider Morton's lite salt can do the same thing for pennies a shot.
    I am always amazed what people wil pay for "performance products" that are the same as what you can find at the grocery store for a fraction (and in this case a TINY fraction) of the cost. To each his own.

Mevadus
    Quote Originally Posted by benInMA
    I do occasionally throw a little sugar in the bottle too
    I did this for the first time this morning. Worked great, thanks!

NUUN is already too sweet for my preferences
    Have you tried using just half a tab? I use only half a tab because the flavor of a full tab is a little intense for me. It works good, and I feel like I get a decent amount of electrolyte replenishment.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Never tryed NUUN, but recently picked up some GU BREW tabs - sounds like a similer product. 55mg potassium, 320mg sodium. Kinda makes the water bottle lightly carbonated, too...
    Veni, Vidi, Vomiti.

\m/{-_-}\m/
    Every since I've started using NUUN I've never looked back. I sweat pretty heavily and need electrolytes on most rides so they really help. I used to use Gatorade mixed with water at a 40/60 ratio but it was still too sweet and it would upset my stomach when using gels because of all the sugar. NUUN tablets have alleviated the problem and I feel better post ride.

Fix Altitude in My Tracks
    Sugar is evil? Better stop eating fruit and honey then. And many fruits have a higher percentage of fructose than high fructose corn syrup. And fructose IS arguably bad.
    Sugar ain't evil.... But by using Nuun I can get electrolytes without the carbs/calories of other drinks. I prefer "chewable" calories on a ride so not having then in my drink gives me more freedom in that respect.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

More freedom

Quote Originally Posted by MisterMike
    Sugar ain't evil.... But by using Nuun I can get electrolytes without the carbs/calories of other drinks. I prefer "chewable" calories on a ride so not having then in my drink gives me more freedom in that respect.
    Another problem with putting sugary drinks in your water bottle is that the bike (and you) can end up a sticky mess if you dribble even a little bit of liquid. And of course there's the old "how do I clean this black mold out of my bottles" issue.

I switched back to water after a number of years with various energy drinks. I eat salted fig bars on long rides, and when I take a break (long or regular rides) it's salted mixed nuts, a couple of oatmeal raisin cookies, and a Coke. My bike and I stay nice and clean and I rarely need to wash my bottles. Food is a LOT cheaper than commercial energy food and tastes a lot better too.

Fierce Pancake
    You could just sprinkle some salt in your water bottles and be done with it.
    Drinking plain old salty water generally doesn't work out too well. Ask shipwreck victims who tried drinking seawater - if you can find any who survived, that is.
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Poast of the Day™.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by qatarbhoy
    Drinking plain old salty water generally doesn't work out too well. Ask shipwreck victims who tried drinking seawater - if you can find any who survived, that is.
    Did you ever taste seawater? It's way too salty. Obviously, you need to add the right amount. That's easy enough to do simply matching what's in Gatorade, Nuun, etc...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast