Thread: Nuun Tablets

Team Tom's

Question Nuun Tablets

My team is sponsered by Nuun but prior to that I never heard of this company. I've started using their tablets instead of Gatorade and I must say, I'm impressed... So far, I've not cramped but much of that could be attributed to my fitness as I'm in better shape than when I was last year.

I was just curious if anyone else has tried them and what your thoughts on them are? I was also curious if you could double up on the tablets which I have not done.

Werd,
    MS

RoadBikeReview Member
    HAven't tried doubling them up, but I love the Nuun stuff. I used Cytomax, primarily, before, but I really like the fact that these is no sugar in the Nuun. I get enough sugar in my gels, bars, etc.
    -2014 Roubaix Expert with 2014 Roval CLX40 wheels
    -2013 Stumpjumper Elite FSR 29er
    -Funner ORRB (Off Road Road Bike) with whatever we had around the shop

Team Tom's
    Quote Originally Posted by pdainsworth
    HAven't tried doubling them up, but I love the Nuun stuff. I used Cytomax, primarily, before, but I really like the fact that these is no sugar in the Nuun. I get enough sugar in my gels, bars, etc.
    Yes, the no suger thing is a big deal to me as well. And honestly, I love the taste of them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    I have been using them for nearly 2 yrs. An exercise research Dr from Stanford recommended them because they dont have any carbs in them. She said to keep hydration and carbs (gels or other on bike food) separate.

They are a good non sodium chloride electrolyte drink. Nuun recomends 1 tab for every 16 oz of water. I find that too much for me. I do 1 for every 32 oz of water. Now, if it's hot, I do up that a bit.

So, I run Nuun in the bottles/camelbak and a gel bottle strapped on the frame. It works well and your bottle doesn't get all gunky if you forget to take them off your bike and clean them

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2008

Not fond of the taste of Nuun

but they do keep the cramping to a minimum, so down the gullet they go!

I have also found I can tolerate them better in 24-oz bottles, 16-oz. is too strong.

TWD
    tri berry and lemon lime are good. Love the stuff. No cramping and no sugar is a win
    They sponsor our team as well so I am a sell out

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm not sponsored by them, so I rely soley on taste - I'm a regular user and love the flavors. I also like the "no sugar" aspect.

I find it interesting that Gatorade is now making the move towards this type of liquid, sans sugar, including protein, etc. I suspect they were beginning to see a drop in market share.

On top of everything else, I like the fact that they are a local company - Seattle.

WWU
    22 going on Ancient
    Banana tastes terrible in my book, and they sponsor my team as well.

The other flavors are great though, and I drink nuun most of the time when I'm riding.
    "Use one hand to keep the chuck from popping off the valve, the other hand to pump. Switch hands every so often so you don't wind up looking like a fiddler crab." -Wim

RoadBikeReview Member
    I like em!

Btw, I also noticed that Gatorade (Orange) has switched to (what I've been led to believe are) natural sugars instead of HFCS.

Get off my lawn
    Aug 2009
    gotum use um likeum for all activities.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    I liked the idea of no sugar, but they tend to upset my stomach on longer rides, so back to Gatorade for me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I use them. I like them. Get grumpy when I run out, or when Performance bike doesn't have the case size on sale...
    Just ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    I just started using Nuun myself this past few weeks and like them so far ( I like the taste as well). One thing though with them is that they use an artificial sweetener (acesulfame potassium) and some folks tend to shy away from fake sweeteners due to health concerns, etc.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Just ordered my first tube of them.

Are you guys mixing them up in a bottle and heading out...or taking them along in your jersey pockets and dropping them into a bottle if you need them?

I ordered tri berry. I mostly just drink water on the bike. Try to hydrate before and after with anything else, if I need it. Got caught last year in really hot weather with one bottle of water, one of gatorade. Ugh, in the heat the gatorade was awful. I just HTFU and waited for a group break to fill up on water, dumped out the gatorade.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nayr497
    Are you guys mixing them up in a bottle and heading out...or taking them along in your jersey pockets and dropping them into a bottle if you need them?
    For me, I do both. I carry the container along and drop one in when I need to refill a bottle (only on rides greater than a couple of hours).

Just Plain Bitter
    I use them as secondary hydration on long rides because they fit so nicely in my jersey pocket. I use Clif Crisp Apple Electrolyte powder first then refill with the Nuun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Catzilla;
    Like, if "troubling" were a level seven worry, "concerning" would be a six, with "frightening" being an eight and "unexplained genital rash" being a nine.

2007 Pegoretti Duende Campy SR 11 Campagnolo Neutron
    2009 Look 586 Campy SR 11 HED Ardennes/HED Jet 6
    2012 Raliegh Roper - Stock for now

Get off my lawn
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by nayr497
    Just ordered my first tube of them.

I typically cut the tabs in 1/2 and use them this way for the avg size bottle before heading out.......for my 70 or 100oz camelback 2 tabs is sufficient.