Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 41
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,527

    NYTimes: Multiple Deaths Reported as Driver Careens Down Bike Path

    Very disturbing:

    https://nyti.ms/2iPvM5M
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

    "Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

    "Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger



  2. #2
    Russian Troll Farmer
    Reputation: No Time Toulouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    984
    Well, reading the story, the bike path was just a small part of his rampage; he hit people, cars and objects along a 20 block path of destruction. I know this is a cycling site, but this guy seemed to have it in for more than just cyclists....
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    94
    And he hit a school bus.
    I like to ride fast.

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,482
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Well, reading the story, the bike path was just a small part of his rampage; he hit people, cars and objects along a 20 block path of destruction. I know this is a cycling site, but this guy seemed to have it in for more than just cyclists....
    Well even though the press all have it as a "bike path", it's generally inundated with walkers, dog walker, runners, tourists and bikes. It's (IMO) really hard to get down this MUT some days on a bike.

    So easy targets unfortunately.

  5. #5
    Pooped a refrigerator.
    Reputation: SauronHimself's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    6,730
    There is already a thread in PO about this. Apparently the perpetrator was looking for someone named Allan Snackbar.
    Ghurarmu shirkush’ agh azgushu. Zant ya apakurizak. Gűl-n’ anakhizak.

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,445
    Quote Originally Posted by SauronHimself View Post
    There is already a thread in PO about this. Apparently the perpetrator was looking for someone named Allan Snackbar.
    Looks like he going to have to wait in prison for a few decades before he gets his 72 virgins

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    7,433
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    Looks like he going to have to wait in prison for a few decades before he gets his 72 virgins
    Are you sure you're not thinking about the rule of compound interest?

    If I remember correctly, it was only 18 virgins in the old days.

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,445
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftSolo View Post
    Are you sure you're not thinking about the rule of compound interest?

    If I remember correctly, it was only 18 virgins in the old days.
    I googled it and I got back that you get 72 "houri" as a martyr. However, if that is 72 in one night it kinda doesn't really matter because that is beyond my abilities. Even a young Hugh Hefner would struggle with that

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: 11spd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    571
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    Looks like he going to have to wait in prison for a few decades before he gets his 72 virgins
    Death penalty is being considered for this despicable POS. Honestly, don't believe he will last in prison. Just my opinion. After Feds get what they can out of him, hopefully he will enjoy his cell with Bubba until Bubba decides to finish with him for good.

  10. #10
    Road Warrior
    Reputation: n2deep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    510
    Too bad public hangings are out of style.. If a couple of these guys would see their comrade dancing on the end of a rope it would change their tune.. The police assisted suicide that typically ends these type of events or starts their martyrdom is too civilized for these morons. Sometimes we are too good as a society..

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: 11spd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    571
    Quote Originally Posted by n2deep View Post
    Too bad public hangings are out of style.. If a couple of these guys would see their comrade dancing on the end of a rope it would change their tune.. The police assisted suicide that typically ends these type of events or starts their martyrdom is too civilized for these morons. Sometimes we are too good as a society..
    As much as I share great outrage over what this subhuman person did to people including children riding their bikes on a beautiful afternoon in NY, I believe public hangings simply lower us to their level. So I don’t want to see a public execution. Honestly, he isn't worth the effort. IMO public hangings wouldn't change the dynamic at all. A clash of civilization rooted in intolerance that will never be resolved. That said, I believe in the death penalty for this level of evil and if family members that lost loved ones wanted to stone this POS, I am all for it. What happens to him prison however will likely be his just desserts. There is even a code among killers. This guy will find out.
    Last edited by 11spd; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:10 PM.

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: BCSaltchucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,425
    death row = segregation. none of the other prisoners have access to this kind of convict. And the government will keep such a high profile accused segregated up till the trial too, to ensure they achieve a conviction of a live scumbag.

    no civilized democracy can morally engage in executing anyone. Not a matter of whether they deserve it because this guy surely does deserve torture and death, but the fallibilty of humans and our justice system means capital punishment is immoral. And it is because of this moral quicksand that the US legal system has borne an expensive and exceedingly drawn-out process of achieving capital punishment - really unnecessary when they could just lock him up indefinitely and not waste so much money in the courts wrangling over killing the guy.

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: 11spd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    571
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    death row = segregation. none of the other prisoners have access to this kind of convict. And the government will keep such a high profile accused segregated up till the trial too, to ensure they achieve a conviction of a live scumbag.

    no civilized democracy can morally engage in executing anyone. Not a matter of whether they deserve it because this guy surely does deserve torture and death, but the fallibilty of humans and our justice system means capital punishment is immoral. And it is because of this moral quicksand that the US legal system has borne an expensive and exceedingly drawn-out process of achieving capital punishment - really unnecessary when they could just lock him up indefinitely and not waste so much money in the courts wrangling over killing the guy.
    Would love to hear what you had to say if the guy ran over those you most care about in this world. Not accidentally. Your loved ones that he never met, because he felt like it.
    Last edited by 11spd; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:36 PM.

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: BCSaltchucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,425
    Quote Originally Posted by 11spd View Post
    Would love to hear what you had to say if the guy ran over those you most care about in this world. Not accidentally. Your loved ones that he never met, because he felt like it.
    we have the limited justice we can achieve, which is lock em up indefinitely. le the convict suffers the discomfort of segregation for a lifetime .. which is definitely a harsher sentence than being quickly executed. In fact some consider segregation a form of torture.

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,445
    Quote Originally Posted by n2deep View Post
    Too bad public hangings are out of style.. If a couple of these guys would see their comrade dancing on the end of a rope it would change their tune.. The police assisted suicide that typically ends these type of events or starts their martyrdom is too civilized for these morons. Sometimes we are too good as a society..
    I doubt this would serve as any type of deterrent. These are people already willing to die for their "cause". Execution will only make him a martyr and potentially cause others to be radicalized

  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,356
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    we have the limited justice we can achieve, which is lock em up indefinitely. le the convict suffers the discomfort of segregation for a lifetime .. which is definitely a harsher sentence than being quickly executed. In fact some consider segregation a form of torture.

    This.. 100% this. Death is the easy way out. I'm against the death penalty for this reason, not because it is cruel it inhumane. I life time of solitary confinement is so much worse than death.

  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,445
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    This.. 100% this. Death is the easy way out. I'm against the death penalty for this reason, not because it is cruel it inhumane. I life time of solitary confinement is so much worse than death.
    Agree. Also, maybe play Justin Bieber music continuously just to make it that much more punishing

  18. #18
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,527
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    Agree. Also, maybe play Justin Bieber music continuously just to make it that much more punishing
    Oh wait, that could be declared cruel and unusual punishment.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

    "Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

    "Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger



  19. #19
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: 11spd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    571
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    we have the limited justice we can achieve, which is lock em up indefinitely. le the convict suffers the discomfort of segregation for a lifetime .. which is definitely a harsher sentence than being quickly executed. In fact some consider segregation a form of torture.
    Fair point. Just seems a waste for society to provide room and board to a life that doesn't deserve to live. I still think the little fella would be best served bunking with Bubba.

  20. #20
    a real member's member
    Reputation: blackfrancois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    3,003
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    lock em up indefinitely... which is definitely a harsher sentence than being quickly executed.
    "harsher" for everyone except those that profit from the prison system.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

  21. #21
    Road Warrior
    Reputation: n2deep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    510
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    death row = segregation. none of the other prisoners have access to this kind of convict. And the government will keep such a high profile accused segregated up till the trial too, to ensure they achieve a conviction of a live scumbag.

    no civilized democracy can morally engage in executing anyone. Not a matter of whether they deserve it because this guy surely does deserve torture and death, but the fallibilty of humans and our justice system means capital punishment is immoral. And it is because of this moral quicksand that the US legal system has borne an expensive and exceedingly drawn-out process of achieving capital punishment - really unnecessary when they could just lock him up indefinitely and not waste so much money in the courts wrangling over killing the guy.
    I respectfully disagree!! Often we are too civilized for our own good . Brutal executions are a proven deterrent to this type of crime. Ever wonder why some civilized countries do not have the drug an gang issues we have? You can get a life sentence in Japan for a joint, beheaded over drugs in the UAE, a firing squad for drugs in China.. The press glorifies these asswipes and encourages the next round of violence.. A good old fashion brutal, public, televised hanging would significantly reduce these incidents.

  22. #22
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,527
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    "harsher" for everyone except those that profit from the prison system.
    The dirty little secret about capital punishment is that it is actually cheaper to throw the guy in prison for life and let him rot there than to put him on death row. Keep in mind all those costly appeals that will enrich the lawyers.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

    "Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

    "Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger



  23. #23
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,445
    Quote Originally Posted by n2deep View Post
    I respectfully disagree!! Often we are too civilized for our own good . Brutal executions are a proven deterrent to this type of crime. Ever wonder why some civilized countries do not have the drug an gang issues we have? You can get a life sentence in Japan for a joint, beheaded over drugs in the UAE, a firing squad for drugs in China.. The press glorifies these asswipes and encourages the next round of violence.. A good old fashion brutal, public, televised hanging would significantly reduce these incidents.
    I am not sure why you say "proven deterrent". Maybe for regular criminals but not for ideology-based terrorism. These are people willing to die for their distorted religious views. They do not expect to survive the attack so why would the threat of hanging deter them? I believe if we publicly executed terrorists it with serve as a call to arms for recruiting new nutballs.

  24. #24
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    846
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    The dirty little secret about capital punishment is that it is actually cheaper to throw the guy in prison for life and let him rot there than to put him on death row. Keep in mind all those costly appeals that will enrich the lawyers.
    Wonder just what lawyers are enriched? The prosecutor? No that’s a low to middle paying public service job.

    Must be the defense. No at the trial, that’s another government paid lawyer. O.k. The appeals. Generally these are pro bono jobs, or lawyers associated with anti death penalty groups.

    First part of the dirty secret is true. The second part needs some more thought.

  25. #25
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    The dirty little secret about capital punishment is that it is actually cheaper to throw the guy in prison for life and let him rot there than to put him on death row. Keep in mind all those costly appeals that will enrich the lawyers.
    Bring back labor camps. Dig ditches, break rocks, wrench at LBS's...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. W&OD bike path hit and run by drunk driver
    By Donn12 in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-06-2013, 10:25 AM
  2. Multiple Wheetsets, Multiple Cassette Sizes?
    By trail2street in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-13-2011, 06:08 PM
  3. Multiple bikes... multiple fittings?
    By heffergm in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-01-2010, 08:44 PM
  4. Driver charged in SC deaths
    By backinthesaddle in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-16-2007, 05:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •