RoadBikeReview Member

Oakley Flak 2.0 XL vs Flak Draft

Debating between the Flak 2.0 XL and the Draft for a new set of shades - the Draft is pretty new, curious if anyone here has a set and if so what they think of them?
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2017
    I have the Flak 2.0 and I'm happy with them for the way they fit and work as sunglasses. I have a fairly big head and they sit right on my face.

The trigger system for changing lenses on the draft might be worthwhile if you change them frequently. I take mine out every few months to clean everything well, and a couple months ago the frame cracked right next to the nosepiece. It's pretty thin there, and you have to flex the frame to pop the lenses out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bilbo View Post
    I have the Flak 2.0 and I'm happy with them for the way they fit and work as sunglasses. I have a fairly big head and they sit right on my face.

The trigger system for changing lenses on the draft might be worthwhile if you change them frequently. I take mine out every few months to clean everything well, and a couple months ago the frame cracked right next to the nosepiece. It's pretty thin there, and you have to flex the frame to pop the lenses out.
    Thanks, I'll try the draft and see how they work out. I don't need to change lenses often really, but they are the same price and about the same fit, hopefully they work out well. Needed to switch to prescription lenses for driving, will use them for cycling too.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013
    Was just inquiring with SportRx about prescription glasses. They reccomended the Flak 2.0XL. After working up a price with progressive prism lenses I'll have to think about it for awhile.. Almost $700.00

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    I have Flak 2.0 and like it but Draft seems better suited for high winds condition. If I didn't have 2.0 and was in the market for shades / shield, I would go for Draft.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    This may help...

RoadBikeReview Member
    I spoke with one of the people at SportRX this weekend about the options too and he was encouraging me to get the 2.0 XL also. I had already been to the local Oakley store and tried both on and prefered the draft asthetically and it felt like they covered the sides better too as well as were closer to the face at the bottom, but not touching. My prescription isn't very strong so the person at sport RX thought they would work well in the Draft as long as I didn't change lenses frequently. They have had a high failure rate on the points of the lenses where the release holds it apparently.

Something to note on either is in a prescription lens they have 'frosting' on the far sides to eliminate distortion but still allow let light in so a person can see motion on the sides. There's a good explanation of this on the web if you google it, and sportrx has it covered in a video / blog somewhere too. The frosting goes from 4 mm minimum, to 11 mm max depending on the lens and prescription.

I ordered mine in the transitions single vision lens which was $473, covered by MDV Flex Comp I had set aside. Should be here in a few weeks. If I like them will probably order either road or trail for cycling. The sportrx rep suggeste trying first before ordering the other lenses to make sure the prescription works well for me in these lenses which makes sense.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett