RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004

Old School Kreitler Roller Question

I picked up an "OLD" set of Kreitler rollers on Craigslist with the Killer headwind unit. It has the 4.5" all aluminum drum. The guy that had them has not ridden in years, they were in his garage and the belts were disintegrated off the thing. I ordered new belts and the rollers run smooth compared to my newer Minoura Action Mags (about 15 yrs. old ). The Killer headwind unit has a super long bar compared to the newer style I see on the internet and of course the belt is not even close to being long enough that I ordered for it. The roller frame itself has notches for the front roller to adjust the distance as opposed to the newer style with the pins and holes. My problem is that I donít see a belt listed anywhere for the long bar (old style headwind) unit. I was thinking of just drilling holes farther back on the bar to make it work with the short belt. The only other thing I could try is to mount the end of the bar to the center hinge on the roller frame. Wondering if that is what the intent is or do I need another type of belt? Even if I have to rig it somehow to get it to work it was worth the $150 I paid! Thanks, Giff

A wheelist
    I dunno about any old style belt so why not just mount the headwind unit to match the shorter belt? Need a measurement for its new location? I can give you one as I have newer Kreilters and the killer headwind unit.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

I'm not cranky; I just have a violent reaction to stupid people.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    Mike T. , I would like to get that dimension if you can get it for me. I have searched all over the net and cannot even find a picture of the longer style bar. It does say Kreitler on the side and looks identical to the killer unit of today, just with a longer bar. It must be at least 36-40 inches, though I don't have it in front of me at the moment. I would really like to find out how old it is, but more importantly I want to try it out. Thanks

A wheelist
    Looking straight down, the center line of the Killer Headwind pulley is 17" away from the center line of the front roller.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

I'm not cranky; I just have a violent reaction to stupid people.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013
    I had one, great unit, but I've forgotten everything I ever knew. I looked on the net for a web site and couldn't find a home page for the company, although Brand Cycles seems to be the big dealer.

Would the standard belt work?

Al Kreitler was, I believe, from the Kansas City area and supported a roller racing series here in Iowa for a number of years. Fine man and it is my understanding the company has continued to provide great service. I believe the company has continued to support the series even after Al's death.

Greg Harper of Harper Cyclery in Muscatine, IA is the series promoter. He would have a close working relationship with Krietler and be able to put you in touch with the company .

greg@harperscycling.com

Tell him dirty dick sent you.
    Last edited by rdtindsm; 02-20-2013 at 03:07 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    I suggest you contact Kreitler directly.

I did so when I repainted a pair of Kreitler roller frames, and they were nice enough to sell me replacement decals twice, since I messed up the first paint job.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013
    My memory takes a while to get to full speed. I also found mountain racing products which has a big section on how to choose krietlers.

While I later purchased a set of rollers, what I was originally using was sort of a stationary trainer also made by Krietler. I wanted to be able to ride on autopilot with the fan and v-squared resistance of a fan. There was a rectangular frame that held the bike by the dropouts using clamps similar to mag trainers. There was also an adjustable hook to hold the bike by the seatpost, the idea being to eliminate some of the torque that could be put on the clamping system. There was a narrow roller, and a rather long bar to hold the headwind unit. I don't remember whether the fan was only slightly in front of my handlebars, or about 18 inches. In the former case, the bar would be about 4 foot, add another foot and a half if it was further in front.

It sounds like you might have gotten one of these fans. I don't know if they were ever used on a regular roller frame. I vaguely remember that a similar attachment might have been used with rollers, but that may be a suggestive memory.