RoadBikeReview Member

Olympian Clara Hughes to embark on a 12,000-km bicycle journey

I think this is great timing in the light of the teenage suicides that have been in the media lately. We, as a society, need to recognize mental health as a serious (and potentially life threatening) disease. Whether it's depression, or having the life skills to deal with daily stresses in our lives, the more people that are accepting of this fact, then the easier it will be for those who suffer with it to be open about it and seek help.

Olympian Clara Hughes to embark on a 12,000-km bicycle journey to spark talk about mental health

At a press conference Thursday at the Canadian Museum of Civilization, Hughes said she wanted to share with Canadians that they are not alone — and she believes this is the most important work she will do in her life. More than one in five Canadians will struggle with mental health in their lifetimes, and two out of three won’t seek help.

Go Clara, you are doing Canada proud!
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Wow, that's an amazing road trip, truly inspirational and a great cause also.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Amazing woman and incredible athlete. Multiple medalist in both summer and winter Olympics (cycling and speed skating). She has been the very public spokesperson for mental health in Canada for several years now. Thanks Clara!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    This is great, but I have a related question. How does someone go about creating this project and making it an event that gets this kind of media attention?

I mean, we could all go on a 12,000km road trip and no one would know about it? Then we could return from this trip successfully and say we did it in the fight for cancer. The problem is no one would know.

What did she do to get this kind of attention? I am asking because I would like to (one day) start my own ride for a cause.

Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rkdvsm View Post
    This is great, but I have a related question. How does someone go about creating this project and making it an event that gets this kind of media attention?

I mean, we could all go on a 12,000km road trip and no one would know about it? Then we could return from this trip successfully and say we did it in the fight for cancer. The problem is no one would know.

What did she do to get this kind of attention? I am asking because I would like to (one day) start my own ride for a cause.

Thanks.
    I believe it started with Bell Canada wanting to raise awareness for mental illness and Clara having suffered from depression. Of course being a Canadian sports hero always helps.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.