Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011

One more thing laid at Lances's door - the death of matching Lycra kit. :)

Related to the "non-cyclists on cycling" thread here's a pretty funny article from the WSJ online...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...S=Spandex+coup

Sounds like someone took the Velominati site a tad too seriously.

Off to get myself some of those snap-on shoes and boardroom-suitable kit!
    "Five and Dime, all the time!"

Proud luddite
    Dang, with a few quotes from "reputable sources" a journalist can make an issue appear out of nowhere, can't they?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Wow, that was truly awful. Wish I could take those 3 minutes back.
    Sometimes you eat the bar, and sometimes, well, he eats you.

AM999's Liberal Facist

Re: One more thing laid at Lances's door - the death of matching Lycra kit. :)

What an moreon.

I may be wearing the Lounge Kit right now, Ofc.
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

RoadBikeReview Member

The Stupid is strong in this one...

RoadBikeReview Member
    That's pretty funny. He got a few things right, a lot more wrong, and most just dumb.

Thank god I'm too old to be a "mamil" (a term I've never heard before). I guess I'm an "omil."
    Eppur si muove.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    I like how the fall of Lance is the cause of all change in cycling. I think they are overstating his relevance in the last 5 years of cycling. The trend starting long before his fall and will eventually swing back to garish colors as all fashion goes.

I am saddest about the fact that cycling is now high fashion. Matching bikes and kits and helmets, I will be scorned by all. I liked the old days when men were men.
    Embrace the fact that everyone on these forums has their own unique desires, needs, experiences and environment so what works for you may not work for others.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus_XXIV View Post
    I like how the fall of Lance is the cause of all change in cycling. I think they are overstating his relevance in the last 5 years of cycling.
    Overstating? ya' think? And he won his first TdF 14 years ago, in case you don't feel old enough

The trend starting long before his fall and will eventually swing back to garish colors as all fashion goes.
    I don't think it's even a trend, as is usually the case with things described as trends in newspaper and magazine articles. There have always been people wearing all sorts of things. Still are.

I am saddest about the fact that cycling is now high fashion. Matching bikes and kits and helmets, I will be scorned by all.
    "High fashion" is a peculiar term in this context.

My wheels don't even match.

I liked the old days when men were men
    What are they now?

I did learn something useful from the article. I never knew my black lycra shorts are "bright colored" nor that they and my replica pro jerseys are not made of breathable fabrics. Always seemed to me that they breathe pretty well.
    Eppur si muove.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    I thought it was pretty funny. So the fall of LA has caused this entirely new customer base to emerge? Got to love Rapha too. I thought they added some new pro kits to their repertoire this season?

That said, you don't have to look any further than this site and you can find some of those "fashion police" they mention. And yes, even in the Pro Cycling forum there have been comments made about certain jersey's not adhering to the rules.

RoadBikeReview Member

Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    That's pretty funny. He got a few things right, a lot more wrong, and most just dumb.

Thank god I'm too old to be a "mamil" (a term I've never heard before). I guess I'm an "omil."
    I'm an OGIL -- Old Goat in Lycra.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    That article was garbage.

Doesn't the WSJ write about business news? Maybe stick to that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't know most of that article is focused on the obsessive conformist rule-based nature of many cyclist which seems to be right on. Just look at so many debates that have been seen on this form. Some people believe that the Velo rules are actually for real.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    Cycling kit will never be "out" with real cyclists. Matching, not matching...it doesn't matter. What cyclists wear has been around far before the name "Armstrong" was even known.

That article was a joke and like others here have said, to fans of cycling (real fans) Lance Armstrong was just another name in a long list of names. He didn't "make" the sport nor did he kill it either.

BTW...the "new" clothes they list look like crap city hipsters wear...sorry, but they're confusing the two things...

RoadBikeReview Member

For my ride today I wore black bibs, a white jersey, grey socks, black shoes, black and yellow helmet and - egads! - a blue wind vest. No wonder people pointed and laughed.

Cranky Old Bastard
    I don't care of someone laughs at the old guy in bright colors, at least they saw me and didn't run me over!

And no, nothing matches on purpose.
    "When you know absolutely nothing, anyone who knows 1% more than nothing sounds like an expert."

User is infamous around
    Wait let me get this straight. So when I commute to work or just enjoy the sunshine, and I'm wearing my baggy cargo shorts over liners, and what ever random moisture wicking shirt was handy, I'm rebelling against Lance Armstrong? I thought I was sparing the public from seeing my less than perfect figure in skin tight lycra, and sparing myself the embarrassment of looking like a want a be racer (which I'm not, want a be or a racer).

I always thought the lack of a team kit was the result of not being on/part of a team, but it seems I'm just part of a trend. Who knew?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Haole-Maole View Post
    Although I take your point, for those of you who've latched onto it as their main criticism of the article, the "Lance" thing is just a journalistic device to get as many fish as possible to bite the hook - as it were.

Just ask yourself! If they'd used the name "Chris DiStefano" (the spokesman for Rapha quoted in the article) instead of "Lance Armstrong" (who ISN'T quoted in the article), would anybody've even noticed the article? Much less, started a thread about it?
    I agree. The name LA is still selling articles. I was wondering how much Rapha paid the journalist to write this article .
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

RoadBikeReview Member
    This!!

Although I take your point, for those of you who've latched onto it as their main criticism of the article, the "Lance" thing is just a journalistic device to get as many fish as possible to bite the hook - as it were.

The name, "Lance Armstrong", is used only as a touchstone. While you would be forgiven for thinking otherwise, the article is not _about_ Lance Armstrong. Nor is it _about_ whether or not he's influenced cycling fashion.

Just ask yourself! If they'd used the name "Chris DiStefano" (the spokesman for Rapha quoted in the article) instead of "Lance Armstrong" (who ISN'T quoted in the article), would anybody've even noticed the article? Much less, started a thread about it?

Of course not!

The way I comprehend it, the article is _about_ Velonistas versus Nonconformists.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by love4himies View Post
    I agree. The name LA is still selling articles. I was wondering how much Rapha paid the journalist to write this article .
    I was kinda wondering how LA was even pertinent to this.

Almost all the serious riders in my are still kit up because the kits tend to be better quality and cheaper than most off the rack bike shop clothing.

User is infamous around
    Quote Originally Posted by spade2you View Post

Almost all the serious riders in my are still kit up because the kits tend to be better quality and cheaper than most off the rack bike shop clothing.
    Down here in my neck of the woods (actually desert) folks dress to ride whey way they do cause that's what they have or want. I don't do group rides or on a team, but nobody has ever commented on my kit (or lack of it) other than to ask about how a certain item feels, wears, etc. Until I read that article, I had no idea it was even an issue, even if it is just in certain individual minds.

xxl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    I forgot all about this thread, and then happened upon the story in catching up on my WSJ reading.

That was a stupid article.

And mildly off-topic, but how must poor Fred Zahradnik feel about his name being co-opted to describe "freds," when every old-timer with a stack of "Bicycling" magazines from back in the day knows it was really that old fuddy-duddy Frank Berto's fault?

RoadBikeReview Member

The way I comprehend it, the article is _about_ Velonistas versus Nonconformists.
    The latter of whom, of course, are every bit as conformist in deriding those who don't dress the way THEY do...

RoadBikeReview Member
    A wise man once asked what would become of the WSJ once it was owned by Rupert Murdoch... I guess we have our answer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spade2you View Post

And it looks good.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by love4himies View Post
    And it looks good.
    Looks good, highly visible, functional pockets, and a chamois that makes it really comfortable on the long rides. Sometimes I wish Assos did team kits. My wallet is probably glad they don't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast