Jack of no trades

One ride in two weeks! This weather is really starting to wear on me.

The last time I went out on wet roads I crashed and burned and split open my grape. I don't do it anymore. Not worth the risk. Especially when you don't have health insurance.

And I know it's spring in New England, but two weeks of the unrelenting damp and dreary is leading me deeper into a pit of depression out of which I fear I may never escape.

So each day I walk past my bike, collecting dust, hoping the day will soon come I will be able to get back in the saddle and ride the day away along dry and sunlit roads.

I don't know how people in the Northwest do it.

Bike Enthusiast
    Apr 2011
    It's horrible. It has literally rained for 3 weeks in Ohio. Last Friday we had a decent day so my girlfriend and I get the bikes out, super excited to finally get to ride on a nice day. 3 miles away from the house and a rear spoke lets go and destroys my whole day of cycling. I was extremely bummed to say the least
    2013 Specialized Allez Compact
    2014 Specialized Hard Rock Sport Disc 29
    2012 Specialized Crux Skittles
    2013 Fuji Finest 1.1C (Wife's)

RoadBikeReview Member
    We had high seventies in wisconsin this weekend. Tomorrow we'll be back to a high of 60, maybe.

This has been a rough spring. I'm 500 miles behind where I was last year this time. ugh.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustTooBig View Post
    Your Logical-to-Dumbass ratio is way out of kilter, buddy

RoadBikeReview Member
    I can't tell you what to do, but you might consider learning to ride better in the wet. Crashes are not inevitable just because there's water on the road. I live in New England, too, and I haven't missed a day commuting in the last 2 months. Some pretty wet days. I can't remember the last time I crashed because of a wet road -- probably more than 20 years ago.

Anyway, take heart. Forecast for the upcoming weekend looks a good deal better.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotophage View Post
    We had high seventies in wisconsin this weekend. Tomorrow we'll be back to a high of 60, maybe.

This has been a rough spring. I'm 500 miles behind where I was last year this time. ugh.

Exactly...another Wisconsinite here. This spring has been terrible. I was just thinking about this on the way into work today as it's overcast and cool. We better get a long summer...or at least a great fall.

corning my own beef
    time to work on handling skills, maybe? Just gotta decide where your priorities are.

I don't know if we've had more than 3 consecutive dry days in southern IN since Feb. But I have 2500mi in my legs -- including many rides in rainy conditions. And when the rain is bad enough, climb on the rollers .... better than nothing, IMO
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People who say, "Laughter is the best medicine.." have never been on the receiving end of a morphine drip..

ноожеяз ай вщоw?
    -VaughnA

A fool and his money were damned lucky to have bumped into each other in the first place.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I definitely agree. I do ride in the rain sometimes but am mostly a fair weather rider. It's been a huge bummer because when it's not raining I seem to be either at work or doing some other thing that needs to get done.

I got so pissed this morning that I took an hr off and rode - didn't even tell the wife. It was as awesome as it sounds. I'll probably leave early too. F Da Man!!!
    I ride mostly in the honorable pursuit of being kissed on both cheeks at the same time by one blond and one brunette. But not redheads, they scare me.

More Cowbell!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wood Devil View Post
    I don't know how people in the Northwest do it.
    Fenders and HTFU.
    Pro rep, yo!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    The weather has been awful, especially since I just started working at my LBS so I talk bikes 24/7 and can't ride... but this bad weather gave me the time to sell my Specialized Roubaix.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2008
    Well, here in coastal Maine, the weather finally broke and wife and I got out for a nice 20 mile scenic ride. Like the OP, this kind of weather makes you stir crazy :-)
    I am probably the last person to have received an email from Sheldon Brown! A very nice gentleman.

2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite Triple
    105 Shifter/derailleurs
    FSA Gossamer Triple MegaExo
    BWW Blackset Race 11 wheels
    Continental Gators 25c
    Kool Stop Salmon brake pads
    Cateye Strada Double Wireless CC-RD400DW
    Sigma PC-9 HRM
    RADBOT-1000 rear strobe flasher
    Blaze 1/2w LED headlight

RoadBikeReview Member
    South florida has been hot, but no rain. I wouldn't mind a little sprinkle on some of my rides.

Carbon Fiber = Explode!
    And people complained when I asked about Thunderstorms...
    '09 Voodoo Wazoo
    '08 Pedal Force RS2
    '06 Raleigh Cadent 5.0
    '01 Trek 4300 MTB
    '93 Norco Nitro MTB Touring
    '88 Schwinn Prelude Fixie
    1 hour of running = 1 hour of wasted time when you could have been riding. - Alaska Mike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    I live in the Seattle area, and I have two bikes-- one for crappy days.

I also use my second bike on the trainer when the weather really sucks.

The trainer is a far cry from the open road, but it'll get the job done and help keep you fit!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Been windy in Northern California. Doesn't help that I've subjected myself to climbs for my convenience (so close to my house).

I thought my performance was getting a bit soft as I've been wearing out fast though the week, but I found out that somehow my Mega Exo setup had too much preload on the BB.

Don't Tread on Me
    Aug 2009
    When I hear stories like this, I'm thankful we never left Colordo for New Hampshire.

Good luck OP. We've been getting a ton of rain out west too - only I've still been able to ride.

It has been miserable in most of the country this spring. Hell, most of the planet has sucked this year. You think it's bad as far as your personal amount of riding, try owning a bike shop! Reps are telling me that there are several shops on the verge of collapse right now due to poor sales because of the weather.

I'm seeing fewer customers this year, but they're spending more money - so I'm not as bad off as some shops. Personal ride time though.... I think I've been out 4 times so far this year.
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    You work weekends OP? I agree the weather has sucked but it's broken every weekend I can remember for long enough to get in some good long rides without seeing a drop.

Anyway if it's any consolation the summer before last started really bad......worse than this......but that year we had an amazingly nice and long fall. So hopefully this is a sign of a great fall.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Buy a bike at Salvation Army store for $15. Apply some oil to the chain and ride it in the rain - but don't worry about doing any other maintenance maintenance.

Take it back and sell it back to the the Salvation Army store for $10 when you are done with it.
    To those in uniform, both present and past, who have protected my freedoms, I thank you. I've had a good life so far.

My radio control aircraft addiction is fed by: theprofilebrotherhood.com