ptf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008

Open Street Maps vs Garmin Maps

Just took advantage of the killer Edge 800 deal, now trying to decide on Maps. Anybody have any opinions on OpenStreet maps vs Garmin maps? I don't mind spending the money - just trying to determine the pro's and cons of each and getting the best map for road riding.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ptf View Post
    Just took advantage of the killer Edge 800 deal, now trying to decide on Maps. Anybody have any opinions on OpenStreet maps vs Garmin maps? I don't mind spending the money - just trying to determine the pro's and cons of each and getting the best map for road riding.
    I have both. OSMs have some weird errors and missing roads, but for the most part are OK. My Garmin loads routes with the OSM nearly twice as fast as it loads the same routes using the Garmin CN maps...don't know why. Try OSMs and if they're not working for you, get the Garmin CN maps.

Apparently OSMs in much of the EU and UK are really good. US OSMs not so much.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

wyrd bi ful rd
    You can get your free maps from here ...

Select:

Generic routable
    none
    'leave it alone'
    Enable manual tile selection ... tick it ...

Select the tiles that you need. To unselect just left click it again ... Only select the tiles you need as otherwise the file will be too large. UK + Ireland + France + Belgium + Netherlands + Switzerland = 2.4GB thereabouts

I think if you live outside Western Europe, please check details on the maps on basecamp before proceeding ...

Enter your email address ... then click 'Build my Map'

You will receive a link in your email to download 3 files. 1 file (gmapsupp.img) for your SD card for the GPS. Another for your basecamp program and one more for apple users I think.

In your SD Card create 2 folders: EULA & Garmin
    In the Garmin folder create 4 folders: Activities, Courses, NewFiles & Workouts

The gmapsupp.img file is saved in the Garmin folder. You might be able to get away with just creating a Garmin folder and saving the .img file in there. I have not tried that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    There do seem to be more holes in OSM for the U.S. However, you can fix those much easier and faster than with any other source (I think Garmin are Navteq). I think OSM also has more elements if that is of interest.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    I just upgraded to an 800 from a 500 with the hot deal. I have the OSM maps. Its hard to say since I only have had the unit for a short time, but so far so good. It has known about everything I have tried including the bike paths. I just got the whole USA map set. It take up less than 1/2 of the $8 8Gig SD card.
    OSM Maps - Maps for Garmin GPS devices

What did you say? Huh?
    OSM around here don't have routing or waypoints. But they do have topomaps. Where Garmin and CityNavigator shine are in waypoints and in being routable on the device.

Whether Gamin maps for MapSource are worth the ridiculous price and gigantic hassle to load and unlock and get to work given the ridiculous price, is a matter of personal opinion.
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

ptf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Are some OSM maps better than others? Seems like there are a lot of choices. By the way, I would like to download the East Coast of the US if that makes a difference.