Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010

Opinions on Livestrong

I'm just curious what everyone's opinion is on the Livestrong brand. Personally I think its for a great cause, and I like the yellow and black colors, but many of my friends think that it makes you look like a Lance fanboy.

I'm just curious what you generally think if you see somebody wearing Livestrong gear.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I probably shouldn't. But yes, I usually think its a Lance fanboy. Most of the time the livestrong fanatics I see are more recreational. Rarely do I see racers with much of that brand. And this is coming from someone who loves Lance but the only livestrong item I own is a yellow rubber bracelet lol.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost234
    I'm just curious what everyone's opinion is on the Livestrong brand. Personally I think its for a great cause, and I like the yellow and black colors, but many of my friends think that it makes you look like a Lance fanboy.

I'm just curious what you generally think if you see somebody wearing Livestrong gear.
    Well, basically both options you just mentioned. I have one of those yellow and black Livestrong cycling uniforms and when I wear it some of my fellow riders joke around about it. I don't really care, I like that uniform makes me feel faster.

Hucken The Fard Up !
    If you want to help the fight against cancer, Buy your gear at discounted prices and donate what you saved to a research organisation or a hospital.

I receive regularly requests for donations like those.

Make sure the organisation you chose actually spends the money on fighting the cancer and not some media circus.
    Quote Originally Posted by zank
    They're just bikes. Ride 'em in the rain, salt, snow and crap to fully appreciate them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Kelly
    The thing about the cold is that you can never tell how cold it is from looking out a kitchen window. You have to dress up, get out training and when you come back, you then know how cold it is.

Master debator.
    A casual friend showed up with a Livestrong helmet, jersey, and socks etc. to a group ride this spring. He sat there and took a lot of **** for it. He just took it in stride, and finally the LBS owner who was leading the ride told the assembly that the guy was a big Livestrong fan, and that he'd just lost his wife to cancer a few weeks ago matter of fact. That pretty much quieted the stupid talk for the day.
    And really, it's still much better than the neon colors from the 80's that you still see people wearing yes/no?
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

la dolce vita
    It will forever be linked with Lance. Some like that, some don't, but that is the reality.
    insert witty comment here

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Rule #51

Give the money w/o buying trinkets, more $$ directly to the cause

RoadBikeReview Member
    I dislike the Lance fanboys, but if Livestrong gets people to donate who would normally give nothing, then I'm all for it. Who am I to judge - I don't give everything that I could to good causes, and I know you all don't either.

- Dan

RCA
    RoadBikeReview Member

You got it

Quote Originally Posted by Mootsie
    It will forever be linked with Lance. Some like that, some don't, but that is the reality.
    that's it in a nutshell
    We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Masters Neophyte
    When I see them, I don't automatically assume "LA fanboy"- I assume one of two things; LA fanboy OR a supporter of The Cause.
    As such, I would never give a rider wearing Livestrong gear a ration of $#*%

I love the colors- and may still buy a set of bibs to match my Lion of Flanders jersey... but I probably won't- because I don't want everyone to assume I'm a Lance fanboy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I asked a checkout dude with a livestrong bracelet if he was an Armstrong fan, cyclist or new someone with cancer and he didn't know what I was talking about. When I pointed out the bracelet he told me that he got it from a friend and thought it was cool.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I support what hes doing. I am not an fanboy and I kind of think hes an A@@. But I come from a caner family. And I will get behind any one that can do what he does.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    As we all know, Livestrong is created by Lance. However, the mission of the Livestrong foundation is amazing and definitely should be supported whether you like Lance or not. This is about the fight against cancer and not an individual. It just happens that this is one of the more well known foundations.

I'm all for Livestrong and if you buy the jerseys then more power to you. The money goes to help the victims of cancer, their family, and research.
    2011 Turner DHR
    Road Bike: Currently looking

flinty-eyed moderator
    Also remember the Trek/Livestrong U25 team (with Phinney/King(s) et all) is very popular among anyone who has met the kids on the team. Go Ben King! (US version, although the aussie seems nice too . . .)
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

flinty-eyed moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolhand
    Also remember the Trek/Livestrong U25 team (with Phinney/King(s) et all) is very popular among anyone who has met the kids on the team. Go Ben King! (US version, although the aussie seems nice too . . .)
    Go Ben Go! Allez!

http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/...99s-day_122344
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    A doctor funded (almost exclusively) by Livestrong in his cancer research kept my grandmother alive long enough to meet my kids who she had never met before.

For that reason, and many others, I am forever a Livestrong supporter. I have on the original band I bought the very first year. I never take it off. I can't believe it hasn't broke, but there must be some reason.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost234

Nothing.
    Seems kind of an odd way to pass judgement on someone.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Regardless if one purchases their stuff for the cause, or just for the aesthetic appeal, I'm pleased to know that money is going to the cause. Stuff looks great, but I only went as far as one wristband/bracelet, and a helmet (Rift, and probably going to get an Ionos later on). There's just something I dig about Lance wearing the distinctive helmet as if it's like reserved "ad space" solely for the cause, and not the team+other sponsors he rides for.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007
    I work in a hella touristy location, and I see tons of people with the Livestrong bracelets. I always ask If they ride or of they are just supporting the cause. 99% of the time it's the cause. Either way it's hard for me to pass judgment. Those little yellow bracelets mean a lot to people.

To sorta answer the question, yeah I'd sport a Livestrong jersey. They look a hell of a lot better than some of those neon advertisement jerseys. I was sorta shopping for one online last night. And to answer the cries of Fanboy, well, here the most clever insult hurled at cyclists here is "Go Lance!"

I really don't mind:-D I wish I was that good....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    Who cares what someone is wearing....worry about yourself. That's my thought about. I'm sure there are other things in life that we do outside of cycling that are the same; we just don't realize it. How would we/you feel if we/you were on the other end of the s*** talking.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    I'm surprised nobody has asked if Trek makes good bikes yet.

People like to make fun of Lance/Trek/Livestrong because it's the cool non-conformist thing to do. I have a couple things from Livestrong (running tech shirt, running shorts, t-shirt, bracelet, bag) because I support the mission of LiveStrong. It's just one of many cancer research related organization I've donated to and LiveStrong just happens to have some good looking clothes to go along with their marketing.

We all pass judgment on people based on stupid, superficial things from time to time. It's just the way we work even though it's lame. Still, someone who ridicules and shuns someone because they ride a Trek, support LA, or are wearing LiveStrong gear is just being a pretentious douchebag. As a side note, some people will also give someone a hard time if they are wearing a pro-kit or jersey, so it's not just reserved for Livestrong.

ProTip: Don't be a douchebag.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Thanks for all the responses. I asked purely for my own curiosity (I am majoring in Marketing at University currently). I've always found it odd, how people (cyclists) seem to pass judgment onto others who are wearing the gear. I often sport a pair of Oakley Livestrong glasses, and I almost never get flak for it, but a good friend of mine always gets **** for his Livestrong helmet.

Just reading the different replies you can see the variety of peoples opinion of the brand.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    The black and yellow gear seems like it was designed by an engineer and not a designer. Like it was designed for people that shop at walmart. They should really get an Italian on the design team. You'll never catch me wearing clothing that doesn't help cars see me, black jersey's are out.

Now the actual cause ... once you've known someone that could or have benefited directly from groups like Livestrong, then you really appreciate the cause and effort.

I'm riding in the BIKE MS 150 next weekend here in Utah and it's truely amazing how many people are affect by MS or know someone that has MS.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    LiveSTRONG or liveWRONG, your choice!!!!

Make way for the bumblebee bikers!!!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    I can understand gently mocking someone for a Disco jersey or a Rock Racing kit but Livestrong?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast