MVNbykes
    Jan 2004

Opinions on Pearl Izumi Gel-Lite gloves wanted

I found a good deal on ebay for Gel-Lite gloves and I was wondering what other riders impressions of them are. I've tried a few different gloves this season and haven't found anything that really bowls me over and is comfortable. I know part of it is that I was out of riding shape and only recently got to the level I was at a year ago. I bought a Pearl jersey and I love it, so I thought I'd try the gel-Lites as I had heard many people rave about them a few seasons ago. So, whaddaya think, are they worth a try? Thanks in advance for all replies.

Life is good...I'm riding again!

Palm trees & sunshine!
    The Gel-Lites won't blow you away either. They're functional. I'm on my second pair only because I got the second for $10 and switch between them and a pair of six-six-ones. Unless I find a similar deal I won't buy them again for no other reasons than I'm yet to find the perfect glove.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

They're OK

They're pretty durable and comfortable, but I may try something else next time. The gel pads may, or may not, be in the right spots for you. Also, the pads are a little too thick.

Self-Banned
    I have have short fingers so I find the padding to be too thick. I actually never use gloves unless I'm in a sanctioned race or unless the temp. is 95+ degrees W/90%+ humidity which makes my hands so sweaty they slip.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    The gel pads on mine aren't in the right spot, that's for sure. They're in the trash! They come unglued rather quickly and flap around until you rip them off. The first ones came off within a month. Returned for a second pair and it happened again. I like the gloves all right without the pads, but next year I'll be wearing something else. The PI pittards might be better, but I've never worn them.

[edit] Oh yeah, and the OLD gel lites from like 3-4 years ago were waaaay better. I don't know what they were thinking.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsmargs
    [edit] Oh yeah, and the OLD gel lites from like 3-4 years ago were waaaay better. I don't know what they were thinking.
    Yep, that is my experience as well. I've got an old pair that I just can't get rid of, ragged-y as they may be; while the new pair sits in the closet.

RoadBikeReview Member

Don't bother with them...

[QUOTE=mvnbykes] So, whaddaya think, are they worth a try? Thanks in advance for all replies.QUOTE]

I think they stink after they break in. I used to have a pair. I bought them thinking the gel would be a great shock absorber. They are until the pads migrate, the leather stretches, and your gloves are not so absorbent anymore. I switched to a pair of Assos that are lightly padded with greater success.