Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Ordered me a the new Garmin Edge 510

Hi there. I'll be replacing it for with my old Garmin 200, which I loved but needed a heart rate monitor and cadence power meter for my training. So this is a great upgrade for myself.

Does anyone own one and do you like it? Let me know? Thanks!
    2011 Cannondale Super Six
    2005 Cannondale Scalpel
    2003 Cannondale Jekyll

RoadBikeReview Member
    Not planning on getting a 510 but FWIW, here's a Edge 510 specific forum: https://forums.garmin.com/forumdisplay.php?363-Edge-510
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Nice! Which power meter did you go with?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NWS Alpine View Post
    Nice! Which power meter did you go with?
    Haven't decided yet! I'm looking into it and researching it. Not sure I'm gonna do just yet.
    2005 Cannondale Scalpel
    2003 Cannondale Jekyll

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'll have my new Garmin Edge 510 on Tuesday. I'll give a small review once I get it and use a for a week or so. I can't wait. Touchscreen is a great feature. Happy riding all my follow cyclists.
    2005 Cannondale Scalpel
    2003 Cannondale Jekyll

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nice! I can't wait for mine to arrive. I was debating between 500 and 510 but found a discount code for one website that saved me some money so I went ahead and bought the 510.

I do wish that they can find a way to load to strava or endomondo websites automatically or maybe like once you click save it will also upload to strava/endomondo. Maybe it will be a software update in the future (hoping).

RoadBikeReview Member
    With it being touchscreen, what happens when you wipe sweat drops or rain or sports drink/perpetuem off the face will you are riding?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tallpaul07 View Post
    I went out yesterday with mine for the first time. I had the Garmin Edge 500 prior to this.
    Here are some of the things I like:
    -Larger Screen: Allows for more fields while still being 'viewable'
    -Quick satellite acquisition...like real fast.
    -Garmin connect(ivity) via Bluetooth sync
    -Allowed me to send a "Live Tracking" link to email addresses (so my girlfriend can find me if I'm laying in a ditch somewhere, or she's feeling frisky lol). Can also share "live tracking" with twitter and FB. Allows people to see your location as well as your avg. speed, total ascent, etc.
    -Once my ride was over, I clicked 'save' and it automatically uploaded my ride to garmin connect.
    -I clicked to view my activity on my phone and was able to see my location and stuff just fine. This will be a great way to meet up with your friends riding, or people on a group ride, etc.
    -There is a loop and a lanyard...so you can attach your garmin to your bike.
    -Comes standard with an "out front" mount. I had a k-edge anyway, but cool that it comes with one now.
    -Multiple modes...for example, I can click "Train" and have a certain set of default metrics shown. then I can click "race" and can have an entirely different set of metrics shown...just sorta cool.
    -User interface is revamped and a bit more intuitive. Easier to customize things that you want to, etc.

Things I don't like:
    -Doesn't sync with Strava
    -The 'connect' features aren't quite as robust as how they market it...but I imagine they will continue to develop and roll out additional functionality.
    -I can't seem to figure out how to configure the 'auto-pause' (which I'm going to google right after this post)...so my avg. speed looked like crap because I had to stop a few times.

All-in-all... definitely not disappointed!

Good review my friend! I'm new to this Garmin 510. How do I get the my page looking like the page on the box? I've tried it several times and can't get it.

Just want to add total ascent Elevation heart rate and cadence to the screen.
    2005 Cannondale Scalpel
    2003 Cannondale Jekyll

Specialized Enthusiast
    Aug 2011
    I went out yesterday with mine for the first time. I had the Garmin Edge 500 prior to this.
    -Allowed me to send a "Live Tracking" link to email addresses (so my girlfriend can find me if I'm laying in a ditch somewhere, or she's feeling frisky lol). Can also share "live tracking" with twitter and FB. Allows people to see your location as well as your avg. speed, total ascent, etc.
    -Once my ride was over, I clicked 'save' and it automatically uploaded my ride to garmin connect.
    -I clicked to view my activity on my phone and was able to see my location and stuff just fine. This will be a great way to meet up with your friends riding, or people on a group ride, etc.
    -Comes standard with an "out front" mount. I had a k-edge anyway, but cool that it comes with one now.
    -Multiple modes...for example, I can click "Train" and have a certain set of default metrics shown. then I can click "race" and can have an entirely different set of metrics shown...just sorta cool.
    -User interface is revamped and a bit more intuitive. Easier to customize things that you want to, etc.

Things I don't like:
    -The 'connect' features aren't quite as robust as how they market it...but I imagine they will continue to develop and roll out additional functionality.
    -I can't seem to figure out how to configure the 'auto-pause' (which I'm going to google right after this post)...so my avg. speed looked like crap because I had to stop a few times.

Hey There, as we all are painfully aware, the 500 struggled with the courses and virtual partner features, freezing, reseting, and/or having the lines disappear. Any experience with how these features work on the 510? Have they finally fixed the issues!?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Found a great review and some in-depth info. about the Edge 510. I'm still learning how this 510 works. Here's the link to that review.

Garmin Edge 510 In-Depth Review | DC Rainmaker
    2005 Cannondale Scalpel
    2003 Cannondale Jekyll

RoadBikeReview Member
    major bummer
    check my review page below!

www.roadiemanila.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mann2 View Post
    major bummer
    It wont upload to Strava wirelessly, but I'm sure you can upload via USB like you do with the typical Garmin unit.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottma View Post
    It wont upload to Strava wirelessly, but I'm sure you can upload via USB like you do with the typical Garmin unit.
    Yes you can still upload to Strava using your USB. Strava is a 3rd party so they'll have to update their system and website to stay on par with Garmin. That's pretty simple. They just need to get it done.
    2005 Cannondale Scalpel
    2003 Cannondale Jekyll

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Not really. If Garmin wants to allow wireless upload to Strava via the Bluetooth/phone interface, they would need to make that happen. I don't see an incentive for them to do that since Strava "competes" with Garmin Connect.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottma View Post
    Not really. If Garmin wants to allow wireless upload to Strava via the Bluetooth/phone interface, they would need to make that happen. I don't see an incentive for them to do that since Strava "competes" with Garmin Connect.
    Garmin could make so much money off Strava with their wireless upload. If Strava wants to continue their success they might end up having to pay Garmin for it to.
    2005 Cannondale Scalpel
    2003 Cannondale Jekyll

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    There does seem to be some cooperation now. The Garmin uploader plugin is used by Strava and other 3rd party sites. There would have to be a wireless smartphone app equivalent.

RoadBikeReview Member

Things I don't like:

I got one yesterday. Performance had a 'one day' sale for 15% off the bundle. The sale said "online only" but my local store honored it.

I found the "auto-pause" right off the bat since I was concerned it may not have one after reading your post.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    Nice a good buy

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    A great bit of kit

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jetblack9090 View Post
    A great bit of kit
    I got mine at BiketiresDirect.com for like $60 off. First time buyer there. What a good outfit they are! Glad I got mine for such a good deal. $345 for everything.
    2005 Cannondale Scalpel
    2003 Cannondale Jekyll

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Post a review when you get it!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beatty View Post
    Post a review when you get it!!!
    I have 3 rides on mine so far. It seems to me more accurate on mileage and heart rate than my 500, easier to see secondary to the size and then there is the cool factor.

It was neat after our night ride last night, to pop a top on a IPA.,set on a bench and show everyone the data that was transferred over to my phone.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    I just got mine this weekend. I have a custom stem mount that the stem bolts hold in place. The device looks awesome and love the screen. I upgraded from a multi-sport 310XT. I haven't been able to ride with it yet due to some family visiting but will get some heavy use soon.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    Hopefully they got the auto-pause feature fixed on the 510, on my 500 when I use it on my MTB and am hitting bumps it is constantly beeping from starting and stopping. Garmin still has not figured out what is causing it to do that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
    Hopefully they got the auto-pause feature fixed on the 510, on my 500 when I use it on my MTB and am hitting bumps it is constantly beeping from starting and stopping. Garmin still has not figured out what is causing it to do that.
    2 of my 3 rides with the 510 were on rugged MTB trails and I didn't have an issue with the auto-pause.

I did hear my buddies 500 beeping from the start and stop of it quite a bit though.

Our mileage was about 1/2 mile different after the ride.

Last edited by ParadigmDawg; 03-06-2013 at 10:14 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast