View Poll Results: Do you use Orthotics?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • I use and like Orthotics

33 55.00%
  • I don't have Orthotics

22 36.67%
  • WTF is an Orthotic?

5 8.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Orthotics?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011

Orthotics?

Hi All,

A few years ago I had a knee issue and it was suggested to me that I use custom orthotics in my cycling shoes. I've been using them for a few years and ride a lot with them. It's time to replace my shoes and I'm wondering if I really need these things or not. I ride my Mtn bike without them. I need to buy a bigger shoe so I am deciding if I want to keep em. What are your thoughts on them and if you're using them please let me know your feelings on em.

Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Type II Diabetic here with 3 toes on my left foot due to iinfection and surgery back in 2003. I use orthotics and find that they ease alot of rubbing and chafing that I would otherwise suffer without them. They keep my foot from moving around inside the shoe. I also needed to buy bigger shoes but it is a fair trade for me.

FTR
    Burn baby, burn.
    Not custom but I do use e-Soles in my shoes at the recommendation of Steve Hogg.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    I've been wearing custom orthotics for 10 years. I wear the same size shoe with or without them.

I transfer them to whichever shoes I'm wearing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    e-soles for me as well. I have a super high arch that was deforming when I pedal which was helping cause some problems. The new e-soles have a system that allows you to change the shape and height of the arch to better fit them to your foot. Very impressed with them so far. MSRP is around $50 USD.

Iohannes fac totum
    Mar 2008
    I had/have orthotics due to heel/shin injuries from running. The problems lasted for years, and the orthotics never got me to a point I could run again. I've gone the completely opposite route with some Vibram Five Fingers and can finally run pain free again. So, IMO, I wasted some time and $$ on orthotics. What I want now is a bike shoe that has a bigger toe box.

The Slow One.
    I pronate pretty badly, which has led to some knee problems over the years. I have custom orthotics which keep my arches from collapsing and keep my knees tracking straight. Most off the shelf footbeds aren't what I consider orthotics, but some do a pretty good job of correcting minor issues. I've used the Specialized BG footbeds with some luck in my MTB shoes, and I use Superfeet corks in my ski boots.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    Non-custom - Specialized BG foot beds.

I seem to be having an "echoing Alaska Mike" posting moment right now. I also have custom insoles in my ski and snowboard boots. The ones in the ski boots were true custom, and f'ing expensive. My snowboard boots and running shoes just have Zapz. I'm all about different insoles in my footwear - several years of being on my feet on concrete for long shifts (and probably some underlying instability or weakness) have made my feet a little sensitive.

I have flaky knees, along with occasional plantar fasciitis. I think the BG foot beds were one of the biggest things I did to be able to start riding decent volume again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joshf View Post
    I've been using them for a few years and ride a lot with them. It's time to replace my shoes and I'm wondering if I really need these things or not.
    I don't use orthotics, so can hardly give advice on them. I'm just thinking that if you've got something working well for you, why change it?

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by joshf View Post
    Hi All,

A few years ago I had a knee issue and it was suggested to me that I use custom orthotics in my cycling shoes. I've been using them for a few years and ride a lot with them. It's time to replace my shoes and I'm wondering if I really need these things or not. I ride my Mtn bike without them. I need to buy a bigger shoe so I am deciding if I want to keep em. What are your thoughts on them and if you're using them please let me know your feelings on em.

Thanks!
    The orthotics you get from a podiatrist are more for walking.

other sports puts different demands on your feet.

I couldn't use my orthotics in my snowboard boots, because it didn't work. I had to go to a pedorthist that specialized in sports, specifically one that knows skiing/snowboarding to get a orthotic for them (pedorthists makes the orthotics per what the podiatrist prescribes)...

right now I have specialized inserts (for my MTB shoes & Road shoes)....I don't feel like dropping a huge chunk of change to see the guy that made my orthotic for my snowboard boots...

Custom Orthotics by US Orthotic Center New York City ... iirc it cost me $500 (for 2 consultations plus actually making the orthotics) plus parking in NYC (and tolls)
    Last edited by tednugent; 10-05-2011 at 06:07 AM.
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    2008/2009 Burton T6 156cm with Burton Triad Bindings & DC Judge boots

RoadBikeReview Member
    Not custom fit by an MD, but custom fit by me. I am on the e-soles as well and they have been fantastic. The best insoles I've ever used and I've tried many of them (Superfeet, Sole, etc.).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by krisdrum View Post
    Not custom fit by an MD, but custom fit by me. I am on the e-soles as well and they have been fantastic. The best insoles I've ever used and I've tried many of them (Superfeet, Sole, etc.).
    Are the eSoles thicker or thinner around the toes than Superfeet (Blue)?

Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Orthotics in cycling shoes? Orthotics are meant to stabilize the foot when weight bearing. Isn't most of your weight in cycling shoes being put through the ball of your foot and not through the arch? Guess I'll have to put my shoes on, guess I don't think of it that much.

I'm interesting.
    Where's the "have orthotics but don't use them" option?

I have the green Superfeet but cannot stand them in my running shoes. I have moderate arches, and was sized at a very reputable local running shoe store. I found the pain from wearing them unbearable, even on relatively short runs. My feet have been pain free in my cycling shoes so I felt no need to try anything.

I am reconsidering other options with lower, less pronounced arch support for both my running shoes and cycling shoes to help with heel and ankle alignment.
    "This thread gives me hope that the human race will render itself extinct in my lifetime...." PlatyPius
    "You're not a real cyclist unless you spend money needlessly....." ZoSoSwiM
    "Power is power and it has to be paid for." Alex_Simmons/RST

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    My right knee sticks out some when I ride. I went to a podiatrist who is also a cyclist. He watched me ride & made some orthotics for me. I removed them after about 20 miles because my knee was killing me.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    Hi guy. to the riders using E-soles, what type are you using? The cycling spec. one can not be found at any store or online. Wondering if the ones SUPER DYNAMIC one would work for cycling? Tried calling Esoles no luck nobody answers the phone.

Sleep Expert
    Try creating a new thread instead of digging up old ones. ;)
    My carbon footprint has cleats

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyPT View Post
    Orthotics in cycling shoes? Orthotics are meant to stabilize the foot when weight bearing.
    As someone's already mentioned, I think the other big reason to have orthotics would be to correct for a tendency to pronate (twist) your foot through the cycle. If you're locked into the peddle and it's not corrected, I expect that would translate into some unwelcome torque on your knee. I'm suspicious that's what contributed to an overuse injury I got cross-country hiking a couple years ago. I was wearing new summer hiking shoes but they had a funny heel in them, too high on the outsides, and each step was twisting my knee.

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Peanya View Post
    Try creating a new thread instead of digging up old ones. ;)
    Why? It proves that someone has actually searched through the old threads....

plus, it prevents someone from responding:
    • Search noob
    • This topic has been discussed at length in the past... search
    • etc
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    2008/2009 Burton T6 156cm with Burton Triad Bindings & DC Judge boots

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Kendogz161 View Post
    Hi guy. to the riders using E-soles, what type are you using? The cycling spec. one can not be found at any store or online. Wondering if the ones SUPER DYNAMIC one would work for cycling? Tried calling Esoles no luck nobody answers the phone.
    You'll want to look into getting the eSoles eFit Supportive soles. Included are four separate interchangeable arch supports which velcro into the bed. Two metatarsal pads is also included.

IIRC one of the PT's at Endurance Rehab here in Scottsdale is the owner. You can always google endurance rehab and call them and inquire as they sell them out of the facility. I found mine at a shop down the street called FASTER. You can look them up HERE

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    Woodys737 thank you, they had some in stock shipping them out tomorrow.

Burnum Upus Quadricepus
    I can second the recommendation to goggle around and shop locally.

My fitter referred me to a local running store. There I got some Powerstep Pros at a considerable discount from the manufacturer's web site.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    Tried Google. no one seem to have a size 11/ 45.5. Even tried buying from Esoles direct but they don't answer e-mails or pick up the phone. Endurance Rehab had them in stock, I'll just get it from them and have soom happy feet.

It's Good For You!
    Yes...well, no.
    I do...in all of my ski boots. Cycling shoes, no. Not because I don't think they will help but my cleats seem to have enough "float" that I do not think they are necessary.

Ski boots are a different thing. Being that I mostly ski for a living, orthotics (at least I think) really help my body, legs, knees, etc., last for the season. I feel more aligned and more "pain" free. At least I don't ache through the winter.
    Ski Good or Eat Wood

Low rep power
    Serious pronator here. I use orthotics in everything except water shoes.
    We'll be back soon, there will be more of us, and next time we won't be dropping leaflets.

“The problem with quotes on the internet is that it’s hard to verify their authenticity” – Abraham Lincoln

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast