RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004

Outter Right foot cramping up?

So I got my new bike and weather permiting have done 40 miles so far this week (I work 10 hours days now so it was tough) Anyways. I am LOVING the bike, only problem is after a 17.5 mile ride last night the outside edge of my right foot seems to cramp up. I released my toes and stood up and down some, no fix. Mind you I can still ride but it left a dull pain when my GF rubbed my feet last night. Any clue why?

Kyle

Diesel Engine

Loosen your shoe

My first response is to loosen your shoe. You may have the straps cinched down too tightly.

What pedals and shoes are you using? You may have a small platform pedal or a flexy shoe that is causing a 'hot spot' and potentially bruising your foot.

A further stretch is that you may have an alignment problem that is best addressed by a aftermarket insole or orthotic.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    Shoes could be a bit too tight, I will loosen them some. The shoes are Nike Poggios and are super comfy and the pedals are Speedplays (aweeeeeesome) It just is the outside "lip" of my foot. It really is bizzare to me, I could also just be getting used to the form as my hands become painful in my thumb palm area as well.

Kyle

wots...uh the deal?

New Bike?

If you did change bikes, check every measurement...including how wide the BB/pedals are. Last time I switched, there was 2cm difference in my pedal width between bikes...it's the last measurement I checked. (the newer bike is more comfortable).

I just got new shoes and mounted the cleats a bit too far behind the axis of my foot, and was getting about the same (felt like it was going to cramp, but never did) on the outside bottom of both feet. Moving the cleat forward has helped and I'm almost back to the right position. But, it sounds like your shoe/cleat/pedal setup has not changed....so I'd check that the effective pedal width has not changed (if the newer bike's pedals were 2cm closer to each other, your 'stance' would have your feet closer and more pressure on the outside of the feet.).

But, it could just be that you are pedaling harder because of the cool new ride, or you suddenly doubled your miles or any other "new bike" effect.

my $.02

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2002

Try repositioning insoles.

Sometimes if the insoles get out of alignment my feet go numb. Just pull the insole out and put it back in the shoe. Hope that helps.
    I don't give a damn for a man who can spell a word only one way.
    Mark Twain

RoadBikeReview Member

Loosen the shoes

i had the same problem the first ride of the season (about 32 miles) i am riding speedplays as well, and sidi genius shoes. i didn't notice it until i stopped about 25 miles in, but it ended up being pretty bad. the next ride i kept the shoes loose and after about 10 miles adjusted them to my liking (your feet swell while riding) i have not had the problem since.

Try this first and if it doesn't fix the problem completely go to your lbs and have them look at your position on the bike, and corect where needed.

Good Luck
    The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' --Ronald Reagan

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004

All makes sense.

I will adjust some today before my ride and if nothing works out, tomorrow I will take a ride down to the LBS and let them have at it. My other odd problem is the same almost cramp on the thumb side of my palms... just growing pains? It helped when I tucked my elbows in some, Im thinking maybe the bars are a tad wide?

Kyle

O2bfasterstrongerbetter

Root Cause Solution needed

Quote Originally Posted by IUbike
    So I got my new bike and weather permiting have done 40 miles so far this week (I work 10 hours days now so it was tough) Anyways. I am LOVING the bike, only problem is after a 17.5 mile ride last night the outside edge of my right foot seems to cramp up. I released my toes and stood up and down some, no fix. Mind you I can still ride but it left a dull pain when my GF rubbed my feet last night. Any clue why?

Kyle
    All of the responses above and the recommended solutions are completed valid. However, it is likey that none of these will address the root of the problem which has to do with how your foot sits in your footbed and the amount of proper support it gets. Generally speaking if you get numbness in the outside edge of the bottom of your foot this means your arch is not properly supported. This results in more pressure being applied to the outer edge. loosening the straps will make this effect less severe, but it is not a real solution since you lose power and control when you loosen your straps. There are several solutions to this in varying degrees of effectiveness and correlating expense. You can get over the counter footbeds at a drug store that will add support. Some of the more expensive ones can even be molded. The best solution is to get custom footbeds. They are expensive I won't lie to you. $100 minimum, but they will literally last for years. I used to have the same problem in my cycling shoes and my ski boots. I now have custom footbeds in both and can safely say I have not had even a hint of the problem since. I can actually crank my road shoes down even further now with no numbness. Same goes for the ski boots, but that's another forum.

Most high end ski shops or bike shops have custom footbed guys that can make you a pair if you decide to go that route. I highly recommend you find someone that makes cycling speciifc footbeds. They tend to be thinner and generally more applicable to cycling.
    Last edited by Jdub; 05-06-2004 at 09:07 AM. Reason: no title for original
    "Words are a heavy thing...they weigh you down. If birds talked, they couldn't fly." Sy Rosen and Christian Williams, Northern Exposure, On Your Own, 1992