Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    I know lots of guys recommend trying to 'melt' or burn contaminants out of pads. I don't. I don't think it does any good to clean them either, but it can't hurt to try. Mostly likely you'll be replacing them. Obviously don't touch the friction material or the braking surface of the rotor w/ your bare skin, the oils will contaminate the pads/rotors.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    I know lots of guys recommend trying to 'melt' or burn contaminants out of pads. I don't. I don't think it does any good to clean them either, but it can't hurt to try. Mostly likely you'll be replacing them. Obviously don't touch the friction material or the braking surface of the rotor w/ your bare skin, the oils will contaminate the pads/rotors.
    I've had luck with burning them clean but you have to get them pretty damn Hot!
    Last edited by factory feel; 04-29-2018 at 11:31 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by nimetonmaili View Post
    I'm not quite sure what it is? It's just a black dirt kind of layer.

Sort of like that: http://forums.mtbr.com/attachments/b...brake_pads.jpg

'Sanding' doesn't help either.
    "Black dirt" is pad material which you actually want a coating of on a brake rotor. It helps the pads grip and can eliminate squeeling. On my MTB the brakes will squeal after cleaning the rotors but goes away after a few stops.

Resin pads tend not to squeal easily and don't oxodize like semi-metalic after heating.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Well...you already have failed at fixing the problem...and now you're simply throwing money at it hoping it fixes it.

Emphasis added:

Go forth and stimulate the economy. It is indeed your money. And next week after installing new hardware, and still having the same issues, you'll get a helping of "We Told You So"s.

We try to be a bit responsible and get people to do things cheaply and in the last time/effort...than resorting to throwing money blindly at the problem, and hoping something sticks.
    Wow! What is your problem?

When the OP came here he provided a brief overview of what he had done to date thinking he might get some rational insight from folks who have experience solving this problem. It's a big leap to assume that he lacks the ability to detect the evidence of leaking mineral oil.

Squealing rotors are especially annoying on road bikes and, since he has replaced the rotors and pads and has not said he has detected evidence of leaks, his action seems like a rational next step. Spending a couple hundred dollars to solve this problem is a small price assuming his time is worth anything. He'll end up with the next generation of everything in the brake system that likely could cause the problem.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    I've had luck with burning them clean but you have to get them pretty damn Hot!
    Unfortunately it's never worked for me. I've tried with a propane torch and got pads that were quiet but didn't bed properly - maybe I overcooked them?

What I have had consistent, but not perfect luck with is spraying the pads with rubbing alcohol and then sanding with rough grit sandpaper until all the glaze is eliminated.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    here are my thougts:

If the pads are contaminated to the point that there is a loss in braking power, then pads are toast. Throw away. I have tried to soak contaminated pads in acetone overnight, sometimes this remove the contaminants, sometimes not. Rubbing alcohol is just weak sauce and can only remove light and superficial contaminants.

If pads are organic resin, you don't want to use the burning method as burning can change the nature of the properties of the pads themselves. Not good. Only try burning on semi-metallic pads.

Maybe the 2 halves of the calipers don't bind equally. Sticky pistons maybe? Re-shim caliper? If those don't work, rebuild caliper then.

Larger diameter rotors tend to give out more squeals because larger rotors flex more than smaller rotors. (On the other hand, larger rotors also dissipate heat better than smaller ones).

On my MTB bike, there has never been a time when I can come close to using up the life of the pads before they start to squeal for whatever reason. And like you I've tried everything from replacing hose, pads, rotor, re-shim caliper, rebuild caliper, that's pretty much replacing everything except the caliper itself. But this is livable on an mtb because brake noise is just accepted as a part of life there. On road bikes, not so much

RoadBikeReview Member
    Easy. Dump the stupid discs and put on proper caliper brakes. Or check mtbr group as discs are really mountain bike items.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Generally once a pad is contaminated w/ any kind of oil it's done. Sanding won't help, the pads need to be replaced.
    Yup. Just touching your rotors or pads with some oil/grease on your finger can F' them up.
    Best practice is don't ever ever ever touch your rotor brake surface or pad material with your fingers, even if you think they're clean.

Pads are porous like sponges. Any oil grease that gets on them soaks right in, and then will migrate back out. Sanding will never work. The torch method can work if it's just slight contamination.

How do you lubricate your chain and with what?
    That's the route I'd investigate. Also, how and what do you wash your bike with. Do you put any wax on your bike after cleaning it?
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Notvintage View Post
    Easy. Dump the stupid discs and put on proper caliper brakes. Or check mtbr group as discs are really mountain bike items.
    yep, questions related to disc brake maintenance/issues such this from the OP will only become more frequent as more road bikes are equipped with them.

Go back down to the basement and have some more Cheetos.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ok...it sounds like a contamination issue. I've heard that Shimano calipers can have problems w/ mineral oil weeping past the piston o-rings. Worth a try to replace them. Srode doesn't like the resin pads but that's what comes OEM in just about every Shimano caliper. It's pretty much all we use at the shop, they stop fine and they're easier on the rotors.
    My new gravel bike has Shimano RS505 hydraulic disc brakes with resin pads and Ice Tech rotors. 1,000 miles and silent as a mouse fart.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    @Lombard, at this point I've already tried everything so overhauling the calipers seems most likely. I don't see a reason for a mechanic?
    As anybody who has recovered from any kind of addiction knows, the first step to solving the problem is recognizing that you have the problem. The fact that you don't see the need for a mechanic shows you have not reached this first step.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    But this is livable on an mtb because brake noise is just accepted as a part of life there. On road bikes, not so much
    This line is completely false. The few times I had noisy brakes on my mtb I just about drove myself crazy trying to fix it. It is extremely uncommon for me to come across other mtbers with noisy brakes. It ruins the enjoyment of being out in the woods for everyone within ear shot. On a road people are used to car noise anyway so while squeal might bother you, it isn't bothering everyone else quite as much.

I haven't had brake squeal on my mtb in years but I've found that some combinations of caliper, pad, rotor and bike frame are just prone to squealing even if the system is perfectly clean using new pads with the brake caliper aligned perfectly. I had brakes that squealed on one bike and didn't on another simply because the frame had a different resonant frequency. I also had brake systems that squealed on every bike and I've had just brake discs that squealed on any bike with any brake system.

Being around the mountain bike community I can tell you most of the time it's the discs themselves and semi-metallic pads that are the major contributors. Try switching to resin unless you actually need the extra braking power. If that doesn't work find rotors that other people have had quiet operation with. Seems like Sram Centerline rotors have been consistently quiet for road cycling. In any case if your brakes are wet they will squeal.

Just bought a new road bike with R8070 group set. Zero squealing what so ever and the braking is excellent.
    Last edited by Fajita Dave; 04-30-2018 at 08:49 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Go back down to the basement and have some more Cheetos.
    LOL. . That's what I was waiting for.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    As anybody who has recovered from any kind of addiction knows, the first step to solving the problem is recognizing that you have the problem. The fact that you don't see the need for a mechanic shows you have not reached this first step.
    I now have a problem with addiction?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    This thread is hardly a ringing endorsement of disc brakes on road bikes.

LOL. . That's what I was waiting for.
    If you have the Cheetos I'll bring the beer

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    Answering my own questions before ordering anything.

1) Does a BH90-SB/-SBS kit imply BH90-SS (+extra parts)?
    No. A specific BH90-SS kit is needed.

2) Is there anything else I should be aware of?
    Old setup:
    - Caliper: RS785

New system:
    - Caliper: R8070
    This won't be possible (flat-mount calipers on a post-mount frame/fork).

I'm surprised no one noticed?
    Last edited by nimetonmaili; 04-30-2018 at 02:18 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I'm surprised no one noticed?
    Not many ride that ... ah... junk around here!
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    Not many ride that ... ah... junk around here!
    Certainly wouldn't blame someone for being anti-disc brake after this experience lol.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Certainly wouldn't blame someone for being anti-disc brake after this experience lol.
    Well you can always sell this bike on eBay and buy one with rim brakes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    Well you can always sell this bike on eBay and buy one with rim brakes.
    Good thing you're calm and positive as usual lol.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Good thing you're calm and positive as usual lol.
    Hey, I'm just trying to help.

Hey, I'm just trying to help.
    Get back in the basement w/ notvintage and have some Cheetos!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Get back in the basement w/ notvintage and have some Cheetos!
    Will you share some of that beer if I bring some bangers and mash?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast