RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018

Pain in the neck and back, wrong frame size?

I am experiencing pain in the lower back and in the rear of my neck. Perhaps my bicycle frame is too small, however i am not sure this is only problem - see street bikes riders ride facing down a lot like in swimming you keep your head down, i cannot do that, i tend to look ahead of me 100% of the time (sometimes i ride on sidewalks, also there's holes in the road i want to spot to ride around) it just feels natural to me to know where i am going.

I currently have mountain bike, but handle bars are flat, i was thinking of installing medium hi-rise handle bars but it might look stupid plus not sure how it will affect steering.

Currently i am in the market for new light weight bicycle 15 pounds, so road bicycle is the number one choice, i obviously don't need a drop down handle bars just straight or medium hi-rise.

Need more info how to select correct size frame also and any advice on the situation with the pain i get after several hour ride.

My ride style is commuting, i am doing food delivery on a bicycle, i don't care much about, top speed and aerodynamics, usually i ride for 8 hours a day.

Pain in the neck and back, wrong frame size?-1.jpg

Happily absent RBR Member
    Considering that you can change you position with a different stem or different handlebar, it is a leap to say it is the frame's fault.

Go see a sports medicine practioner or physical therapist through your health care provider. Sometimes you can find one that is used to dealing with cyclists. They can tell you what sort of position you'd tolerate better.

A flat bar road bike might be a good choice, but the shorter reach of a high end Hybrid might be better. Start by finding out what's wrong, first.
    Get a better saddle: www.kontactbike.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Mr. Kontact, I believe you are replying to a troll.

gazing from the shadows
    The easiest and cheapest way to change your position is to go to a bike shop and ask them for take off stems. They swap stems a lot, and throw the extras in a box. Look for something a bit longer than your current stem and angle it UP.

Typically those are $5-10 so for under 20 you can likely change your stem a couple of times to experiment.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    A higher angled stem is a cheap way to get your bars up higher.

Tilting your bars back slightly is a FREE way to get your bars closer to you.

If neither of these work for you, a bar with a higher rise would be the best way to go. It won't look "stupid" and so what if it does? Would you rather be in pain?? It may affect steering, but only slightly and you will eventually get used to it. It won't be unsafe unless you do really stupid things like barrel down potholed roads at 40+ mph.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    OP, back and neck pain...both #1 cause of pain when riding a road bike...can be resolved by improved fit on the bike and riding technique...proper helmet and sunglasses.

A whole new genre of road bike was created to help alleviate this common condition called an endurance geometry.

If you don't experience the same level of pain associated with riding your mtb, which many don't as saddle to handlebar drop is typically less due to a lower priority of aerodynamics on a mtb, one can generally replicate the riding position on a mtb with an endurance geometry....hoods equivalent in terms of reach and drop.

Neck pain has always been my achilles heel btw. I can't ride slammed like a top rider even though I am a good club rider and choose an endurance geo..also due to my long inseam relative to torso length.

First try a riser stem on your road bike. A drop bar tops height even to 2" above the saddle will likely help you a lot.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post

Pain in the neck and back, wrong frame size?- Mtbr.com
    All the gear and no idea

RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't know that I would write the OP off as a troll. The question is legitimate. Although the screen name is a bit suspect.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    I don't know that I would write the OP off as a troll. The question is legitimate. Although the screen name is a bit suspect.
    Pimpdaddy would be better IMO.

OP, per your picture, better riders rotate their hips and keep their neck in better alignment with their spine...even with the same torso angle/aero drag. The head is a huge aerodynamic deficit. Learn to ride with neck more in line with torso which lowers the head....look up to see the road ahead with proper helmet and sunglasses choice to not impede vision. Neck health actually starts with hip rotation for correct posture.

WA outdoor enthusiast
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by 11spd View Post
    A whole new genre of road bike was created to help alleviate this common condition called an endurance geometry.
    This whole 'new genre' of bicycle was formerly called Sports/Touring frames. Marketing needed a new name. Endurance sounded manly.

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by PimpMan View Post
    I ride for 8 hours a day.
    my back would hurt too.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SantaCruz View Post
    This whole 'new genre' of bicycle was formerly called Sports/Touring frames. Marketing needed a new name. Endurance sounded manly.
    It sure sounds better than the dreaded R-word - recreational.