RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005

Pain in soles of feet

I frequently find that the soles of my feet hurt for the first 15 minutes of a ride. It feels like a muscular soreness or tightness, and it hurts when I push hard on the pedals. I wear Specialized road shoes. They are good shoes (I think I spent $100-$200 on them) but they are probably at least 4 years old. My pedals are Keo Classics. I feel like I could ride harder if my feet didn't hurt. Any suggestions?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Try Loosening the middle strap perhaps.

LC
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Have low arch type feet? Specialized have some weird Metatarsal hump in the middle of the insoles that hurt my feet too. Try some different insoles like maybe Superfeet or one of the many others. You might have to change to a different brand of shoe like Shimano or Lake to really make your feet happy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I am thinking arch support as well. It could be either too small or too big. In either case, the arch support may be forcing your foot to adjust to it (flattening or bending depending on the issue).
    Specialized Allez Comp Apex- '12 56cm
    Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro- '12 56cm

RoadBikeReview Member
    Could be your shoes or it could be you need to adjust the position of your cleats or you need to replace your cleats, if they are worn they could be shifting around on you. It's probably safe to say there is no easy answer as this will require a series of adjustments and trials before you can see results.

I would suggest you start with the least expensive approach but only change ONE thing at a time so you know if it's helping or not.

If what you have is the common "hot foot" pain there are lots of articles on the interwebz that can help you out:

How to Solve Painful 'Hot Foot' | Road Bike Rider

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    This sounds like an issue I had which did not meet the description of "hot foot". My massage therapist told me it was likely due to my calf muscles being so tight. With his advice, doing more stretching and some foam roller on the calves seems to be helping.

Go get a massage! If it doesn't solve you're problem, oh well, its gonna feel good.

RoadBikeReview Member
    +1 on looser. I prefer shoes that don't try to assist or "support" my soles too much; excessively cupped, arched or other deviations from flat. I'm most comfortable in shoes that allow my feet to spread and move around slightly in the shoe. That said, I have a pair of Specialized shoes a couple of years old that work pretty well, though they are a euro size larger than I wear in some other brands.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    specialized has a "arch-o-meter" to determine which insole best suits you

I only get the hot foot with my mTB setup, with the smaller surface area, thus more localized pressure
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    2008/2009 Burton T6 156cm with Burton Triad Bindings & DC Judge boots

I <3 1911s
    I have plantar fasciitis so my arches always ache unless I use a supportive insole like Superfeet. I use the Superfeet Black insoles because they don't take up much space in my cycling shoes. Having your gait analyzed may be something worthwhile to determine if you over pronate while walking, which could have an effect on your pedaling as well.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

teflondog's PedalRoom profile

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    I do have low arches. I wear running shoes that correct pronation. I also like my cycling shoes strapped down tight.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TiCoyote View Post
    I do have low arches. I wear running shoes that correct pronation. I also like my cycling shoes strapped down tight.
    That's going to be the problem there.

Loosen the straps on the shoes and/or get a different orthotic for the cycling shoe. One thing at a time though. Try loosening the straps first since that doesn't cost anything...

irony intended
    Also, after getting the sizing and tightening about right...if your feet hurt along the outer or inner edges, especially late in a very long ride, i suggest trying the varus/vagus wedges (specialized makes them)...they effectively "level" your foot inside the shoe, it feels like more effectively distributing the pressure...