RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004

Is patience really a virtue? opinions sought

So getting back into the saddle after several years out. Decided on an endurance bike/geometry as I am pushing 50. I had all but decided on a Volagi Liscio and then Orbea (a lifetime favorite of mine as my wife's family has roots in the Basque region) introduces the Avant with an ambiguous release of "fall". I still have my Vortex to bang on if I choose to wait.

....so do I:

- pull the trigger on the Volagi based on my solid reviews and a more proven record
    - wait for the Avant to compare
    - ditch both and go another direction
    - Be ashamed of myself for looking to the internet to help make an expensive decision that in the end is subjective anyway

What say y'all?
    Last edited by vic bastige; 06-24-2013 at 05:30 PM.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Patients? Like in hospitals? Patience is probably a virtue, yes. Take a look at a Trek Domane, too. Very nice ride.
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    I say if you're a doctor you've got to have patients.

Have you test ridden the Volagi? Does it fit well? Would the Orbea have the same geometry? If the Volagi fits then I would go with that unless you know the Orbea will fit the same. If the Orbea is the same then you have a dilemma.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Patients? Like in hospitals? Patience is probably a virtue, yes. Take a look at a Trek Domane, too. Very nice ride.
    Auto spell correct is a pain...but I am in the medical field, so I suppose i could have both. I have always had an off the mainstream brand kinda preference, thus the Orbea and Volagi.
    Last edited by vic bastige; 06-24-2013 at 05:52 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ambrose Bierce in "The Devil's Dictionary" defined "patience" as "a minor form of despair, disguised as a virtue."

That probably doesn't help.
    Eppur si muove.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    Bikes Direct
    Only the dead shall know the end of war.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by skitorski View Post
    Bikes Direct
    Uh...you hurt your what?

'brifter' is a lame word.
    I can offer this...our accountant bought a Volagi for his wife and it is a pretty nice bike. It handles fine, rides pretty well and the disc brakes work well. We carried Orbea for years and i was never overly impressed w/ any aspect of the bikes. They look like they were designed by an artist instead of engineers...they look cool, but that's about it. Once you talk to an engineer like Damon Rinard and hear about the 'right' way to design carbon bikes and the wrong way...well, when he described what not to do w/ carbon (tube shapes/small radius corners, etc) all i could think about was Orbea. One more thing about Orbea...they known as the "Trek of Spain" in the bike industry...
    Try to get a test ride on the Volagi and see what you think. And the Domane. Trek or not, it's the best handling, most compliant ride you can buy. Period.
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012

Re: Is patients really a virtue? opinions sought

Yay to Volagi, meh on Orbea. Test ride them and others to find out what you'd really like.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    I can offer this...our accountant bought a Volagi for his wife and it is a pretty nice bike. It handles fine, rides pretty well and the disc brakes work well. We carried Orbea for years and i was never overly impressed w/ any aspect of the bikes. They look like they were designed by an artist instead of engineers...they look cool, but that's about it. Once you talk to an engineer like Damon Rinard and hear about the 'right' way to design carbon bikes and the wrong way...well, when he described what not to do w/ carbon (tube shapes/small radius corners, etc) all i could think about was Orbea. One more thing about Orbea...they known as the "Trek of Spain" in the bike industry...
    Try to get a test ride on the Volagi and see what you think. And the Domane. Trek or not, it's the best handling, most compliant ride you can buy. Period.

very helpful

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Went Volagi. Ultegra, Ignite SL wheelset with the CX-75 brakes based on a conversation with one of the owners. They seem like really great people and I look forward to suffering on their bike.

...thanks to those who replied with considerations.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    I also just went with the Volagi Liscio2 after much research and demo-ing the Trek Domane, Spesh Roubaix, Scott CR1, Pinarello ROKH and Paris, and Cannondale Synapse and Supersix Evo, and talking to the ownership of Volagi. Volagi | The Will To Go

The Volagi is the best ride of all of these bikes with their new patented rear stay technology, has disc brakes and is the best value with their Build-a-Bike. I am one happy rider. I came off of a 2008 Trek Madone 5.2 which is a great bike, but my Liscio (with carbon clinchers and Ultegra Di2) is a superior bike in every fashion. Everyone looking at the enthusiast/endurance style of frame, or who is over 40, should have the Volagi on their short list!