RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2003

Paying it forward... (Zanconato racing)

Hey all - I haven't posted much online here for awhile..diverted with family responsibilities I guess. Anyway, the last 5 months have been pretty exciting. For those of you familiar with Mike Zanconato and his work, you probably know he does some pretty amazing stuff with custom steel (with some very cool recent builds specializing in MAX tubing, both lugged and tigged) and he is just a super nice guy. So... I was lucky enough to make the aqcuaintance of Mike and my good friend Stephen Spears last fall.

Stephen first commissioned Mike to build one of the coolest Columbus MAX bikes I've ever seen (56 cm, lugged construction. Amazed that a full MAX tubeset & good wheels built up to a sub 17lb bike!). This build was inspired by those great cobble eating beasts of the early nineties introduced by Eddy Merckx. Throughout that association Mike and Steve have had many conversations about the state of grass-roots racing, what things were like racing as young guns then and what things are like now. They spoke of their own mentors, being taken under their wings and being shown the craft of the trade.

There's a worry that much of that mentorship is hard to come by for young junior riders needing a good home... So this "seed" team we're launching is all about paying forward what was passed on to those of us on the team priveledged to learn from others who gave so much to the sport.

To quote Mike directly "The goal for this season is to start building some awareness of the team, train hard, do some awesome races, and start getting the structure in place. Long term, it's all about developing a solid club and race team that has pockets of riders all over."

Anyway, long story short, I'm super excitted to be along for the ride and help out where I can. Stephen is now our team director, he's worked out some great sponsorship deals and we'll be racing and riding some very nice tig welded MAX bikes.

In contrast to all the scandal hitting the headlines, I love to chat about this kind of thing - a breath of fresh air almost. This is the real reason we ride. We have been taught by others, and we always have the opportunity to pass it on to someone else, whether that's just by being super passionate, or passing on good old practival knowledge. I'm sure there is a wealth of knowledge here about your own experiences starting local clubs & teams, mentoring young riders, and passing that knowledge on. I'd love to hear more - I'm a rookie in this area and would love to hear what others experiences have been.

BTW, a little plug -we are doing a new batch run for Zank team kit for those interested. check Classifieds for more detail... Mods, not sure if its kosher to reference an ad, but I can certainly edit this post if needed.

If any of you would like more detail about the team, feel free to send a PM.
    Last edited by Wayne77; 02-27-2013 at 06:52 AM.