RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013

Pearl Izumi Quest Shorts

Hi All,

I am very new to the cycling world but have become much more active in the sport recently. I bought a pair of size M and L(due to indecision) Pearl Izumi Quest shorts. I was wondering how padded cycling shorts should fit. My waist is 33" and the Mediums seems to fit up to the naval without a lot of flap in the back side. Oddly enough the Larges also fit well but are almost above the naval and have some flap on the lower back. Should it just jump out at me which one is the right fit or am I missing something? I checked the PI website and I most likely fall under the Medium range but I wanted to see if I could get some actionable intel on this thread. They both seem fairly comfortable.

Thanks!
    Jeremy

RoadBikeReview Member
    I would recommend returning the shorts and getting bibs instead.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You need to try bibs. Trust me. This is from a guy who some time ago did 2+ years on a hybrid, in shorts. I implore you to take the above advice and get a pair of PI bibs instead... get both sizes and you'll know which works best. The bibs will ensure that your shorts never ride up, never ride down, your pad will be firmly in place... it's really a good "secure" feeling. Do it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jgold34 View Post
    I wanted to see if I could get some actionable intel on this thread...
    Roger, that.

By "flap" do you mean loose fabric on your six? That's normal but, keep in mind, good quality cycling gear is designed to fit while mounted. Any standing eval is irrelevant.

I have the same shorts and a 33 waist. Medium works fine and provides sufficient cover to mitigate any plumber's crack whether I'm wearing a standard workout shirt or long-tailed bike jersey. If you feel exposed flesh with the Med, then Large is the call.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm not getting the flap in the back thing. Generally speaking, proper fitting shorts/bibs are going to be snug with no excess or loose fabric when in the riding position. It depends on your shape and the cut of the shorts or bibs. I have and wear either shorts or bibs. When I'm in shape, (like now), I have a thin waist so find many shorts (depending on the cut) to be fine, no discomfort around the waist and no issues staying in place. Shorts seem cooler in hot humid temps. Some bibs extend up nearly to the bottom of the rib cage and I find these feel more restrictive to breathing than some shorts. If the strap length is right, I don't really notice them, but many bibs I've tried it seems the straps are too short (bent over in riding position), but I can certainly find specific brands/models that fit well.

Here's a recent thread on the topic: Bib shorts
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Not everyone likes bibs. I for one at 6'3" do not find them comfortable. I have a couple of pairs of quest shorts. I have recently purchased a couple of pair of PI elite In-R-Cool shorts and find them more comfortable. The have a little more compression too so it seems like I am riding longer more comfortably.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    Hi All,

Thanks for the information and the responses. The cycling community has been really great so far in helping a newbie like myself. By Flap I mean that when I am in a riding position, the largest seem to bunch up on the lower back a little bit(almost to to the point where it would seem I might need to fold the waistline over). Should the Chamois be close to flush with the body(like on a Medium for a 6ft 175lb 33") or a little loose like on the larges? Thanks again! -J

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 9W9W View Post
    You need to try bibs. Trust me. This is from a guy who some time ago did 2+ years on a hybrid, in shorts. I implore you to take the above advice and get a pair of PI bibs instead... get both sizes and you'll know which works best. The bibs will ensure that your shorts never ride up, never ride down, your pad will be firmly in place... it's really a good "secure" feeling. Do it.
    You know I've always worn shorts but I think you guys have convinced me to get bibs as well.This all sounds to me like good information to me,thanks guys

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Iíve never tried bibs, and donít have any desire to. Maybe if I had an overhanging gut I might. My shorts donít bunch up, move around or show plumberís cleavage. I donít notice them at all, so I canít imagine anything more comfortable. No problem peeing, either.

I have a 34 inch waist and wear medium shorts Ė PI, Performance, or Canari. Large would be too big.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Should the Chamois be close to flush with the body(like on a Medium for a 6ft 175lb 33") or a little loose like on the larges? Thanks again! -J
    YW

Unless the Med feels like its binding, constricting or limiting range of motion, I'd stick with the Med. Those shorts stretch out a little after use and wash ... not to the point of feeling loose but not quite as snug as when they were new.

The extra material on the Large suggests its probably too big for you. And I really don't believe a loose fitting chamois is beneficial. The extra movement might, in fact, induce chafing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    My waist size varies between 32 and 33 (depending on ho much rider I get in/season) so I'm right in between medium and large as you are. My advice is go with medium (also I echo the bib choice as well). But once you get the size down, you can find specials online for PI - my other advice is go for the high end models. You can find them for the same price as what you paid for the Quest.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I am 6'3 200 and wear large

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by seacoaster View Post
    Iíve never tried bibs, and donít have any desire to. Maybe if I had an overhanging gut I might. My shorts donít bunch up, move around or show plumberís cleavage. I donít notice them at all, so I canít imagine anything more comfortable. No problem peeing, either.

I have a 34 inch waist and wear medium shorts Ė PI, Performance, or Canari. Large would be too big.
    140 and 30 in waist here,,no over hanging gut,so ruled that out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SBard1985 View Post
    I would recommend returning the shorts and getting bibs instead.
    +1 on this

Best thing you could do...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Yup, yup, and yup. It's shorts for me.

Interesting. I'm 6', 175-180 lbs., 34" waist and always wear large.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013
    I generally wear size 32 pants and in most shorts (and bibs - I have both) I take a medium or a small. Large would be too big for me in most brands. Shorts should be skin tight, and the chamois should be tight enough so that it doesn't slide around. Hope this helps.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    6'4" and 190-195 lbs. Wear Medium in both the PI Pro cycling shorts and PI Elite Tri Shorts.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    I wear PI Attack shorts but would recommend keeping the mediums. I have a 34.5" waist and wear large but feel like I'm in between a M and L at this weight. You want them to be almost uncomfortably tight if you're new to Lycra cycling shorts. That keeps you centered on the chamois and prevents bunching up in areas where you don't want that happening.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    Hi All,

I am very new to the cycling world but have become much more active in the sport recently. I bought a pair of size M and L(due to indecision) Pearl Izumi Quest shorts. I was wondering how padded cycling shorts should fit. My waist is 33" and the Mediums seems to fit up to the naval without a lot of flap in the back side. Oddly enough the Larges also fit well but are almost above the naval and have some flap on the lower back. Should it just jump out at me which one is the right fit or am I missing something? I checked the PI website and I most likely fall under the Medium range but I wanted to see if I could get some actionable intel on this thread. They both seem fairly comfortable.

Thanks!
    Jeremy
    I'm 30-31 waist which is small, but borderline with medium. So I originally purchased PearlIZumi Medium attack short, they are good, but too loose in the rear, they were good on the legs, but a little longer on the waist.
    Then I tried Small which were harder to put on, but I've noticed that small was the right size for me.
    Now I have PearIzumi Pro which I got on a sale for about $55, the best shorts you can find.

My suggestion is that they need to be tight-fitting, in your case go with Medium, the large will become loose.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    I have a 34 inch waist, 6' tall 185 lbs. Large shorts in PI fit me well. No the chamois should not be flapping / loose, it should be snug against your body. I love PI jerseys and their shorts / bibs are ok, but not nearly as nice as others. Gore bibs like Xenon are my go to bibs for longish rides, very nice fit and very good pad. I have a bit of a problem with my PI bibs and shorts snagging on the nose of the saddle transitioning from standing to sitting.
    Trek Domane 5.2
    Cannondale Synapse 3 Ultegra Disc
    Fuji Cross Comp
    Trek Dual Sport 8.4 (sold)
    1969 Camaro Pace car - numbers matching frame off resto
    1969 Camaro Coupe

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    I bought a few pair from Amazon for $30 which was a good deal. I too was between sizes and got the xl. Perhaps a bit too big, the back of the shorts does have about 1" higher rise than other shorts. The padding did seem to not fit snug to my body, but I assumed it was due to being a bit too large. Overall good shorts for the $$.