RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Performance Advanta Wheelset?

Anyone know anything about these wheels?

"Deep 30mm aero-profile alloy rims with strong double-wall construction, paired stainless spokes (20 front, 24 rear), sealed cartridge bearing hubs with alloy axles, Shimano 8/9 compatible. 700C, clincher. Max. rider weight: 175 lbs. Front wt: 776g. Rear wt: 976g. "

For about $220 on sale ($100 off), I'm interested in picking up an extra set, but I'm also concerned these might just be junk. I know most of Performance wheels are rebadged Alex, but I cannot find any comparable Alex rims. These seem like a bargain for training wheels.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    Their Titan wheels are even less expensive and only about 5 grams heavier. According to a tech rep at Performance they're also much more reliable with no rider weight limit.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by filtersweep
    Anyone know anything about these wheels?

"Deep 30mm aero-profile alloy rims with strong double-wall construction, paired stainless spokes (20 front, 24 rear), sealed cartridge bearing hubs with alloy axles, Shimano 8/9 compatible. 700C, clincher. Max. rider weight: 175 lbs. Front wt: 776g. Rear wt: 976g. "

For about $220 on sale ($100 off), I'm interested in picking up an extra set, but I'm also concerned these might just be junk. I know most of Performance wheels are rebadged Alex, but I cannot find any comparable Alex rims. These seem like a bargain for training wheels.

1750 grams (ish) for $220? Does that include skewers? Wonder how accurate the weight is. Heck, that's way lighter than my Mavic Cosmos, but then again, the Cosmos are a proven training wheel.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2002
    Just got my Performance catalog. I think there is a 20% off coupon floating around. That would make the wheelset a real good deal, pricewise at least.

Kind of OT, but Mike Garcia at oddsandendos has some 1450 grams (ish) custom 700c clinchers for $300 shipped. His reputation is topnotch, and the price includes skewers, spare nip/spoke (each wheel) and Ritchey rim tape. And no, I am not affiliated, but it seems like a good deal.

http://oddsandendos.safeshopper.com/2/cat2.htm?79

The performance wheels would be about $200 shipped with coupon but they're 300 grams more and you would have to use the $100 "saved" to get rim tape ($8 for both) and skewers ($20 to $30 if you don't have extras). Plus Mike is a great builder.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MauryTMWTS
    Their Titan wheels are even less expensive and only about 5 grams heavier. According to a tech rep at Performance they're also much more reliable with no rider weight limit.

I believe the Titans are the Alex wheelset- but the performance website seems a bit down tonight (again). I was intrigued by the deeper rim of the Advanta- but I'd probably want to see them before buying them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2003

Beware

Cheap= less materials = light = less strength. I just whacked out a pair of Alex in 300 miles. sigh, and they are light too.