RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008

Question Performance Bike & International Customers

I ordered an item recently from Performance Bike. I'm an international customer (live in NZ), so they have to obtain verbal verification (according to their policy) from credit card banks for home/billing addresses. But I received an email from them shortly after stating that they had canceled my order, as they could not obtain verbal verification from my bank for my home address!?

They suggested I send an International Money Order, but I don't think the Post Office here does that anymore(?). I suggested that I email them scanned images of my credit card and my credit card statement for verification. They would not accept this. They only accept verbal verification!

Not very flexible!

From a quick search here at this forum, I believe there are some international customers of Performance Bike. If so, any problems using your credit card for making payments and/or obtaining verbal verification?

As I couldn't make payment according to Performance Bike requirements, I've subsequently ordered the item from another dealer.

Cat 6 rider
    Quote Originally Posted by meeshu
    I ordered an item recently from Performance Bike. I'm an international customer (live in NZ), so they have to obtain verbal verification (according to their policy) from credit card banks for home/billing addresses. But I received an email from them shortly after stating that they had canceled my order, as they could not obtain verbal verification from my bank for my home address!?

They suggested I send an International Money Order, but I don't think the Post Office here does that anymore(?). I suggested that I email them scanned images of my credit card and my credit card statement for verification. They would not accept this. They only accept verbal verification!

Not very flexible!

From a quick search here at this forum, I believe there are some international customers of Performance Bike. If so, any problems using your credit card for making payments and/or obtaining verbal verification?

As I couldn't make payment according to Performance Bike requirements, I've subsequently ordered the item from another dealer.
    I have no idea why Performance will only accept verbal confirmation from your bank, but they may have a problem either with time zones- calling your bank when they're closed (if it doesn't have a 24 hour number, which seems pretty normal these days), or perhaps they're confused as to how to direct dial if it's a NZ number. Did you ask what the exact nature of the problem was- no answer, can't complete the call, etc.? That could at least give you a clue as to how to get to yes. Did you try putting it on a different credit card? It sucks that you can't use the dealer of your choice, but it's their loss.

Oh, and don't offer to scan your credit card for anyone. Email isn't secure. It's more like sending a postcard than a letter. Any server that handles in along the way can have someone snooping, and with the help of a little hacker AI they can pick the good stuff out without too much trouble.
    To the troll mobile, away...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Having worked for banks in NZ I can tell you that there is no way your bank will provide your address details (and confirmation is as good as providing) to anyone other than the account holder. If they do they are breaking the law.

Ken
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tugboat
    Having worked for banks in NZ I can tell you that there is no way your bank will provide your address details (and confirmation is as good as providing) to anyone other than the account holder. If they do they are breaking the law.
    The bank which issued the credit card would have a 24 hour customer service number. It's the same number you call if you lose your credit card. When you place an order by credit card you need to give your billing address and it is this billing address that Performance is trying to confirm. I am an international customer with Nashbar, which is owned by Performance, and that is how my transaction got through. Nashbar also had a little trouble confirming my billing address. I had to call their customer service department and give them the phone number of my bank's credit card customer service department. They would never have gotten it themselves unless they did some homework, but it's easier to for them (the billing department) to hold up your order than go through all the trouble and let you sweat it out. With Nashbar I think it's par for the course to just hold up your order and never contact the customer to tell them why. I had to call them or my order would never see any movement.

Cat 6 rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Tugboat
    That might be the reason Performance was unable to proceed and canceled the order. In the U.S. that's fairly standard. I'm sure buried somewhere in the pages of 6 point type that make up the credit agreement is permission to check address and phone number as card holder identification. If you find the card on the street, or the number on a hacker website, chances are you don't know its billing address and home phone number (which is what they're looking for). And that's why you'll see so many websites that they will only ship to the card's billing address. It makes it even harder for someone to use a stolen card, unless the thief is willing to hang out at the victim's house and risk a butt kicking. It's mostly automated (checking the billing address and phone number, not the butt kicking) but maybe overseas it has to be done via phone.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008

Exclamation

Performance Bike did not elaborate on the reason(s) for the failure of verbal verification. I didn't ask Performance Bike to elaborate anyway, as I found another dealer to order the item from.

Yes, I was thinking the most likely scenario was that my bank refused to provide my address details to 'someone' over the phone because of security issues.

I would have thought that most (if not all) banks would refuse to provide credit card holders address details to anyone over the phone as a matter of policy. If so, then PB's policy of verbal verification would seem to be illogical.

Fortunately there are other dealers who have more realistic/easier (for both customer and dealer) policies.

RoadBikeReview Member

Ken has the correct facts

I live in Shanghai, PRC with a US card and billing address. All you need to do is to call the customer service number of your card issuer, tell them who the vendor is and how much the purchase if for. They will then verify these facts along with your billing address to the vendor. Many vendors are concerned about fraud, hence these measures. The downside, you perhaps expose yourself and your card details to the outside. The banks first verify the vendor and the amount before verifying to the vendor your billing address. You supply the information, they verify that first before giving out your private details. It's really a measured risk.

Performance Bike did not elaborate on the reason(s) for the failure of verbal verification. I didn't ask Performance Bike to elaborate anyway, as I found another dealer to order the item from.

Yes, I was thinking the most likely scenario was that my bank refused to provide my address details to 'someone' over the phone because of security issues.

I would have thought that most (if not all) banks would refuse to provide credit card holders address details to anyone over the phone as a matter of policy. If so, then PB's policy of verbal verification would seem to be illogical.

Fortunately there are other dealers who have more realistic/easier (for both customer and dealer) policies.
    i've got limited minutes left in life, don't waste my time

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm a kiwi living in Japan and use my kiwi bank card to pay for stuff shipped here from the states all the time. Try cambria bike. pay pal might be another option.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've got my order rejected by Performance and am planning to stick with Speedgoat (I have had only great experience with them).

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005
    I live in the U.S. and I had Performance do this to me one time and ask for confirmation from the bank. They said they didn't get it so I did a 3 way conversation with the bike and it went through. I'm not complaining, it's for my protection.

Cat 6 rider
    Quote Originally Posted by lawrence
    I did a 3 way conversation with the bike...
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who has conversations with their bikes. The psychologists say I'm crazy, but I just tell them to talk to my bike.

Cat 6 rider

I'm glad you found a dealer who will work with you. Personally, I find PB to be a bit annoying in that they seem to be more of a 'close out' dealer than a real dealer, never having sizes, are out of items, etc. For online dealers try Jenson (Jensen?), Alfred E. Bike, Western Bike Works, or maybe Pro Bike Kit out of England (I've never used them, but they seem to have good prices and fair shipping charges and a lot of folks use them)- I don't know about their policies, but you can check.

To clarify, though, Performance wouldn't call and ask, "What is meeshu's address?" They would say, "Does this card number match this billing address and phone number?" If yes, the sale goes through, no, it doesn't. That wouldn't really help a thief, who, for instance, found the card in a lost wallet because chances are there's I.D. with a home address on it- they already have it. The kicker is that the seller will only ship to that address- but the seller has to be able to confirm that address in order to do that, and they don't have your wallet. Some sellers will actually ship to a different address, but only if they call you at the billing number's phone to confirm, and chances are the thief isn't hanging out in your house waiting for the call. But again, the seller has to be able to confirm the phone number with the issuing bank.

Roadbike Rider

This is a three way conv with the bike

Quote Originally Posted by California L33
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who has conversations with their bikes. The psychologists say I'm crazy, but I just tell them to talk to my bike.
    Two bikes and one crazy person I suppose, or possible two crazy people and one very accommodating bike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008

Lightbulb

Thanks for the comments, especially those listing other dealers! Some dealers appear to have an extensive range of items! Very impressive!

I ordered another item from another dealer, and they also (verbally?) verify credit cards before processing orders! I thought, oh no, here we go again! But there was no difficulty this time! The order went through, and it was shipped promptly!

I don't know what happened with PB credit card verification. Maybe they asked the wrong question? Or I may have accidentally submitted incorrect credit card details (I've entered wrong credit card numbers before by mistake)?

Anyway, it is unlikely I'll be attempting to order from PB again, especially given their limited range of products.