Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pet Road Peeves

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by maximum7 View Post
    Riders who wear jerseys with yellow on it. (not talking about Pro riders).
    You have a problem with cyclists who like high visibility clothing ? I guess in your world green, pink, white and polka dot jerseys are verboten too?

Personally I like nice yellow jerseys that practically burn your retinas if not viewed with sunglasses.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post
    2) People.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
    Group ride woes:

1. Riders who show up late to a group ride. It's always the same people and always the people who live closest to the meeting spot.
    2. Riders who don't do any training, show up for a (previously communicated) fast paced ride and then proceed to get dropped immediately making everyone wait for them.
    3. Riders in your group who consistently do dangerous or irritating things on the road, annoying drivers and making the entire group look bad: cutting up along the side of stopped traffic, blowing through red lights, giving people the finger etc.
    4. Riders who show up for group rides totally unprepared: no tube, no food, tires not quite pumped, chain squeaking.
    5. People who just cannot stop coasting in a paceline. Pedal hard, coast, pedal hard, coast. Accordion city. It's exhausting to follow them. Even worse: people who use their brakes in a tight paceline.
    6. Riders who stop pedaling at the top of a hill and immediately lose speed instead of pedaling through the crest of the hill.
    7. Riders who refuse to pull, never get any stronger but insist on riding with the fast group. Immediately get dropped anytime the road turns uphill.
    8. Riders who refuse to wait for others on a no-drop ride.
    9. Riders who when they're pulling a large group go through a very stale green or even yellow light.
    10. Riders who despite riding with your group for years never get any stronger, and continue to demonstrate the bad behavior listed above despite repeated reminders to cut it out.
    Pretty much the same answer.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    1. Riders who show up late to a group ride. It's always the same people and always the people who live closest to the meeting spot.
    LOL! I lead rides and I know what you mean. And strangely, people who get lost are always using a GPS and just enter a street address without seeing the town that populates on their device, then they end up going to the same street address in the wrong town.

3. Riders in your group who consistently do dangerous or irritating things on the road, annoying drivers and making the entire group look bad: cutting up along the side of stopped traffic, blowing through red lights, giving people the finger etc.
    This one is easy. I'll warn you once, the second time I have to mention unsafe behavior, you're off the ride.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

Chief Road Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    I always converge on the narrowest and most debris covered part of the road with two vehicles going on the opposite direction.
    Yes. That's called "The Law of Least Capacity"
    Cromulent Wheelmen
    Chief Road Officer
    "Il più vecchio ottengo, il più veloce ero."

Huge in Japan
    The color black for anything other than tires. Saddles and handlebar tape get a pass but is still unimaginative.

I want this black everything trend to just freaking die already.

I own two black bikes, just got rid of one...
    Interwebs bumpersticker goes here

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    black bikes matter

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    People riding on the MUT, in broad daylight, with a blinky headlight.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by craiger_ny View Post
    The color black for anything other than tires. Saddles and handlebar tape get a pass but is still unimaginative.

This.

A black bike is fine, just needs to be dressed up with some colorful handlebar tape and some color in the name on the down tube.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    People riding on the MUT, in broad daylight, with a blinky headlight.
    Thank you.

And as long as we're visiting the MUT, people in full TT mode or riding a paceline.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    black bikes matter
    And now for the move to "Politics Only".
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    pets in the road, that's my peeve.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by craiger_ny View Post

I actually like the stealth black bike. It sure beats the previous color trend of everything white.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

-- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

flinty-eyed moderator
    Yellow line violators on group rides.
    People who cannot get out the saddle without tossing the bike backwards.
    People who don't clear their wheels when pulling off.
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolhand View Post
    Yellow line violators on group rides.
    People who cannot get out the saddle without tossing the bike backwards.
    People who don't clear their wheels when pulling off.
    This is the only list so far that's all legitimate gripes, IMHO. Most of the posts just demonstrate the truth of the stereotype of roadies as b*tchy little whiners (not excluding myself). C'mon, a pet peeve is the color of somebody else's bike? Really?

My pet peeve is the unimaginative color sensibility of American car buyers and makers. 75% of the cars are black, white, grey or beige - the "stealth" color families, I call them, when they come looming up out of the fog, invisible until they're almost on top of me. Let's have more cars in red, yellow, bright green and bright blue, okay? And turn on your freakin' lights when visibility is poor. For that matter, let's mandate full-time running lights on new cars (maybe in a few years when "regulation" comes back into fashion.
    We are far from pefect,
    But perfect as we are
    We are bruised, we are broken,
    But we are goddamn works of art
    Works of art

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    This is the only list so far that's all legitimate gripes, IMHO. Most of the posts just demonstrate the truth of the stereotype of roadies as b*tchy little whiners (not excluding myself). C'mon, a pet peeve is the color of somebody else's bike? Really?

My pet peeve is the unimaginative color sensibility of American car buyers and makers. 75% of the cars are black, white, grey or beige - the "stealth" color families, I call them, when they come looming up out of the fog, invisible until they're almost on top of me. Let's have more cars in red, yellow, bright green and bright blue, okay? And turn on your freakin' lights when visibility is poor. For that matter, let's mandate full-time running lights on new cars (maybe in a few years when "regulation" comes back into fashion.

I believe daytime running lights ARE mandatory on all new cars now. They are your high beams at half intensity. However, tail lights are off.

And I believe most states now have a "wipers on, lights on" law. Though I agree there are many darker times during the day when it's not precipitating where it's common sense to turn lights on. Unfortunately, common sense isn't so common.

-- Warren Buffett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    You mean guys like Cav?
    Guessing "Cav" doesn't do a lot of CLUB rides

RoadBikeReview Member

Yellow line violators, tossing bike back on stand-up, not clearing wheels... those aren't "pet peeves." Those are - as you said - legitimate gripes... concerns even. The OP asked for pet peeves.

#4. People who get too serious about lighthearted posts... (just kidding JC)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Passing a slower rider only to come to a stop light and have said slower rider squeeze by and get in front of me at the light. Then I have to wait while he fumbles to get started and for traffic to clear out so I can pass the sob again.

That's a biggie here in Austin. The other one is passing someone and then they speed up trying to block your attempt to pass.

I found the biggest thing in Las Vegas was someone latching onto your back wheel and not taking a pull at the front.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by exracer View Post

I found the biggest thing in Las Vegas was someone latching onto your back wheel and not taking a pull at the front.
    Those people suck...wheels.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    #4. People who get too serious about lighthearted posts... (just kidding JC)
    Well, there's another legitimate gripe. Guilty as charged.

I think, unfortunately, you are mistaken about running light regulations. Some car models have them (for a long time, they were actually prohibited by U.S. law, even after some other countries, including Canada, mandated them), but most sold here still do not.
    Last edited by JCavilia; 03-01-2017 at 11:29 AM.
    We are far from pefect,
    But perfect as we are
    We are bruised, we are broken,
    But we are goddamn works of art
    Works of art

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Calf high black socks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2016
    It's threads like this that keep me from trying group rides. I'm terrified that I'll get jumped and beaten by a pack of crazed cyclists.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well, there's another legitimate gripe. Guilty as charged.

I think, unfortunately, you are mistaken about running light regulations. Some car models have them (for a long time, they were actually prohibited by U.S. law, even after some other countries, including Canada, mandated them), but most sold here still do not.

Hmmm. Do you know of any new cars now sold in the U.S. that don't have daytime running lights?

-- Warren Buffett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    Guessing "Cav" doesn't do a lot of CLUB rides
    Around here in NVA and especially out in ETX, there is no difference between a CLUB ride and a RACE, so really smart guys will use the Cav method. .

It's been 15 years since I've ridden with a bunch of riders on a club ride who had the discipline to maintain a rotating paceline.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Mark View Post
    It's threads like this that keep me from trying group rides. I'm terrified that I'll get jumped and beaten by a pack of crazed cyclists.
    Better believe it. They'll beat you up and spit you out the back! At that point, might as well head home--if you know the way.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast